Author Topic: Andrew HENDERSON of Parton, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland  (Read 17577 times)

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Andrew HENDERSON of Parton, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland
« on: Saturday 11 October 08 06:42 BST (UK) »
Andrew HENDERSON is listed as the father to my ggggrandfather, James Cunningham HENDERSON.  James was born on 1/8/1813 @ PARTON, baptised 15/8/1813.  His mother is listed as Agnes CUNNINGHAM.  I am able to trace her family to the CUNNINGHAM & LOCK families in the parish of PARTON  but I cannot find anthing on Andrew.   Any suggestions please?
Regards
Hendo
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew HENDERSON of Parton, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 October 08 15:59 BST (UK) »
I've not found anything except a big gap in the parton marriage registers from 1784-1832. So you are unlikely to find their marriage.

I cant find much for Hendersons let alone an Andrew.

I keep coming up against this  in other parishes and its very frustrating :(

Best bet is looking up the MIs; maybe you will get lucky. I don't have the Parton one, but if you ask Gadget nicely she may oblige :)

I know this wasn't much help, but thought I would let you know that people had probably looked and drawn a blank also.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 October 08 16:35 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Hendo  :)

Gadget  will look  at the MIs shortly.

The lack of Parton marriage entries for those years is one of my sadnesses too. With them, I'm sure I could find the necessary holes in my walls - nothing in the Kirk Sessions Minutes either  :'(

:)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 October 08 16:59 BST (UK) »
There's nothing in the MIs for Parton.

Some thoughts - have you looked at neighbouring parishes? Some of my family moved from Kells to Balmaclellan and then Parton in the 1800-1830 period.

Parish map of Kirkcudbrightshire here:

http://scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-wigtown.htm

(on the right side of the map!)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 October 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Gadget & Sparkle
I will follow your advice re the neighbouring parishes, although previous searches on scotlandspeople have included all counties & parishes.  Thanks also for the WIGTOWN & KIRKCUDBRIGHT map.  As an after thought, Andrew's son James (and his son George) was a houses painter in CASTLE DOUGLAS.  I wonder if there is a link with the trade?  I'll keep looking!
Regards
Hendo

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 October 08 22:17 BST (UK) »
I'll check tomorrow in some of the other parishes MIs for you - there might be something  :-\

Castle Douglas (Kelton)  is not far away at all - 10 mins by car nowadays   :)

Gadget

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 October 08 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget
Looking forward to your reply.
Regards
Hendo

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Hendo

I've looked through all the MIs.

This is all that I can find:

Kelton (Castle Douglas)

James Henderson (painter), Castle Douglas, d. CD 9 Oct 1887, aged 74
(wife and various children are also named)
mother Agnes Cunningham d. CD 31 March 1860 aged 84

No mention of Andrew  :-\

Gadget

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget
What's the old saying "been there, done that, got the tee shirt!"  Thanks for trying, but another lass had the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright Monumental Inscriptions Pre 1855 Vol 3 and passed on that info to me.  At least it tied in Agnes HENDERSON (nee CUNNINGHAM) to James.  I don't think that I'm going to finds his dad (Andrew)!  We are off to CAIRNS and PORT DOUGLAS in the morning so I had best get some 'shut eye'!  It's a 2 hr drive, then 2 hr flight and then 1 hr drive.  I'll log back on when we get home.  Thanks for all your help.  You've given me a reason to keep looking.
Regards
Hendo