Author Topic: Langstroth, New Brunswick  (Read 7198 times)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
Re: Langstroth, New Brunswick
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Aussie Roy,

Out of curiosity, how far back have you traced your Langstroths? ... Because I have Langstroths on a twig of my tree, way back, - in Yorkshire (from memory - don't quote me) ... and even as early as the 1700s, I gather the name had a multitude of variants!  On top of that, my Langstroth married into the Redmayne family: - and you should see some of the alternative spellings for that name!
(also Aussie) Deb
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 07:45 BST (UK) »
G'day Deb  Have a look at this http://colegenealogy.net/pdf/LANGSTROTH-William.pdf  You'll find Langstrotte may be the original name. In Pennsylvania it got changed to  Longstreth.  a lot of which are found on IGI. My tree is public at http://roybat.tribalpages.com  Redman appears there too and I came across Redmayne while searching. And http://wharfegen.org.uk/ may be helpful ( not available as I write 2:45 pm WAST) 
Langstroth Hall, the ancestral home is a ruin, only parts of the foundations remain with a farmhouse built on them.   Happy hunting  Roy

PS Would you send me your line please
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 October 08 04:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Deb, I can find nothing on IGI about your John Langstroth except his marriage to Agnes Redmayne. (I have noticed the variations before).  I have to accept the fact that there may be an error in my tree at that time too, (abt 1750).  As it seems all the Langstroths in that area descended from William b 1464, I am confident that any error will be for just 1 or 2 generations.  Roy
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Suzanne4440

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 January 11 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Found Louise SCRIBNER in the 1911 census of Hampton, Kings Co.,NB....

Scribner Herman     Hampton Villg     M     Head     M     Jul     1847     63     
Scribner Harriet E.    Hampton Villg    F    Wife    M    Feb    1853    58    
(line crossed out)Scribner Edward    Hampton Villg    M    Son    S    Oct    1886    24    
Scribner Maynard    Hampton Villg    M    Son    S    Oct    1890    20    
Scribner Harold D.    Hampton Villg    M    Son    S    Aug    1892    18    
Scribner Douglas    Hampton Villg    M    Son    S    Jun    1894    16    
Scribner Louise    Hampton Villg    F    Daughter    S    Aug    1896    14

Hope this helps,
Suzanne Carter
Carter, Moore

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 June 13 04:53 BST (UK) »
as Maria L Scribner b.Aug 2, 1896, image shows father Herman an engineer, and perhaps grandfather in home prior, a carpenter.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=910

Cecil M Langstroth b.May 2, 1896, image shows father William ( transcribed "Mittian" ) occ. carpenter.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=1552
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 June 13 04:56 BST (UK) »
William (Bill) Maynard Langstroth passed away  May 08 2013 Moncton, NB. age 81. he was born Nov. 5, 1930, in Montreal, which is from this very nice online obituary. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/bill-langstroth-a-driving-force-in-canadian-country-music/article12405967/

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline wlangstroth

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 October 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the information. The OP was looking to connect his family to mine, so let me share what I know, in case anyone else is looking.

William Maynard Langstroth was born Nov 5, 1930, and died May 8, 2013 as noted. He was not 81 at the time, but the papers said so.

His father (my grandfather) was Cecil Craven Langstroth. As far as I know, the dates above are correct. He died when I was very young, and was a pilot and pilot instructor in WWI. Dawn wore his jacket for one of her album covers. He was a slight man with an imposing presence.

Cecil's father was William Langstroth as well, but I don't know his middle name. He owned the Hampton Inn. I still have the license for the inn somewhere.

After that, it gets weird. Some report that William's father was Craven Calverly, whereas others say Craven Calverly had only two sons, named Charles and "Ted".

They all come from Yorkshire, where there's a Langstrothdale.

One thing to note is that the original name was likely Langstraþþe. Those letters that look like "p" are thorns. I suspect the name has been around since the Danelaw, but I have no real evidence of that.