Author Topic: "Hay Bottom/s" Taxal...any ideas?  (Read 12538 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Hay Bottom/s" Taxal...any ideas?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 13:38 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm what Birtle says Prue - I called round on the way back from my 8 mile stroll yesterday and I've sent him my findings. I've left it to him to post or do whatever he sees fit. Most of what can be seen is visible on Street View. If anything else needs looking at, please let me know.
Ray

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue (and Ray),
I've done some more comparing of census returns with maps... The 1841 census (Taxal ED6) has only a handful of Haybottoms recorded as such. 1851 (Taxal ED1) lists 8, distinguishing between 2 called Higher Haybottom at the Dowry end of Macc Road (which on google/streetview seems to equate with the junction of Macc Rd with Linglongs Lane) and 3 called Lower Haybottom together with 3 called Haybottom Row apparently closer to the lane or footpath to Reddish Farm.
1861 progresses from Sunnyside Farm to 'Haybottom Cottages 1-4', then 'Higher Haybottom Cottages 1-6' and '1 & 2' etc. This seems to put them in the area I predicted. In particular I'd lay a cautious bet on Higher Haybottom Cottages 1-6 being the 6 cottages end-on to the Macc Road that you can see detailed on the (admittedly later) 1885 1:2500 old map and also on streetview. Not sure about the others, however, though looking at the route that the enumerator seemed to take suggests that they too are/were in this area. In all, 1861 lists 12 Haybottoms.
Unfortunately, 1871 sets the cat among the pigeons. Starting with Sunnyside it then lists Haybottom 1,2,3,4 and 1,2, then Haybottom 1,2,3,4,5,6 (ah-ha!) and 1,2,3. Then comes Oak Terrace and Lodge View (these are detailed on the 1885 map), then Reddish Farm. But then, although the progress seems to be in a westerly fashion, we have Higher Haybottom 1,2,3,4, followed by Dairy cottages (I'd wager this is Dowry  ???), Dairy Lane Ends and Fold, before the enumerator headed south to Lane Head etc. That's 19 Haybottoms in all, with Higher H seeming to be further out west than suggested by the 1861 return.  ???
By 1881 there are 40+ Haybottoms, some of which are interspersed with Dowry households (I can't fathom the enumerator's route in this return). However, 1891 gives that name to only 14. 1901 names 10, locating them all firmly around the area of Sunnyside and Sunnybank.
If you look at streetview, the group of 4 cottages to the east of the end-on group of six has an indistinct wall plaque. Ray kindly took a photo of this on his walkabout: it reads 'Brookfield Terrace 1886'. However, i haven't found mention of this particular name in 1891 or 1901. He also writes:-
"They look to be contemporary with the similar terrace on the opposite side of Haybottom Bridge although that terrace doesn't sport a similar plaque. Both these terraces have been altered and I suspect the front of the former may have been been re-built.
I'm not sure what to think about the "L" shaped block (check it out on Street View) It clearly wasn't all built at the same time and I'm not convinced that its earlier than the "SF" block. The N-S terrace has a slate roof (like other later houses fronting Macc Road) as do 2 of the block at right angles fronting Macc Rd. The others are roofed in local stone. I'd have thought stone roofs would be earlier than slate roofs in this neck of the woods but certain detailing on the front elevations of the block fronting Macc Rd makes me think that the slate roofed properties may be older than the stone."
[See my email in order to make sense of Ray's references, following my lead, to L-shaped and SF blocks! ]
In sum, it's quite a mare's nest! The best that can be said is that various blocks of cottages - and in highly variable quantity - were named Haybottom (or Higher/Lower H, H Row, H Cottages etc etc) from time to time between 1841 and 1901, and that they were located on the Macc Road - generally speaking on its north side - anywhere between Dowry in the west and close to Heybottom Bridge over the River Goyt in the east.  I only hope we don't now discover Haybottoms on the other, Derbyshire, bank of the Goyt!!
All the very best in making head 'n tail of this. Do ask if you need me to unravel any of my meanderings,
Birtle

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 00:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, both Birtle and Ray  :) :) :)

I think I do understand the gist of it all - there are lots of places called "Haybottom" but all seem to be in the same general area.  My Bonsalls could have been living in any of them, pretty much, as it's difficult to distinguish which are recorded as such as in the 1841 census (the closest to the date they were living there).

That's close enough for me, and much closer than I'd ever have worked out on my own, so once again thanks very very much indeed for all your investigations, both of you!  :D :D :D

Cheers
Prue

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
Yep, your summing-up is spot on, Prue!
Bests,
Birtle