Author Topic: Memorial Inscriptions - Auchtergaven - 1700's  (Read 5746 times)

Offline brodie5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Memorial Inscriptions - Auchtergaven - 1700's
« on: Monday 13 October 08 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

Does anyone have the memorial inscriptions for Auchtergaven (also known as Bankfoot) for the 1700's.  I know this area is included in the North Perthshire MI listings by the Scottish Genealogical Society - I've tried to order it but it is listed as not in print at the moment.

I am hoping the listings might include some Graham's that could link to James Graham (Born approx 1745 Auchtergaven) / Mary Davidson.  I am hoping to confirm that these two are the parents of William Graham (died prior to 1851), who married Janet Grigor. 

So any MI info for Graham's would be most helpful.

Thankyou  :)
Perthshire, Lancashire, Glamorgan

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Inscriptions - Auchtergaven - 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 08 16:15 BST (UK) »
None of the inscriptions seem to relate to the people you mention but I'll send you details by PM. Maybe you will see connections.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Duncan S.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi;

Wondering if we may have a connection?  William Graham and Janet Gregor/Grigor m about 1802? had a son William born @ Auchtergaven in 1804 and another son Andrew ch'd in 1815.  Andrew Graham m'd Christian Stewart at Kincardine by Doune on Dec. 8/ 1844.  Their daughter Catherine Graham m John Fingland at Lanrick on Apr. 24, 1866.  They are my ggg.  Do not have any further info. on William Grahams parents.
regards;

Duncan S

Offline brodie5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 November 08 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello - thanks for your family's research information.

1802 would be a good guess for the year William & Janet got married - Alas i have not been able to find any record of the actual marriage date.  But as they have records for their children i would assume that they did get married (?!).
Familysearch.com and Rootsweb gave the following info on their children:

William christened 30 Dec 1804
James christened 17 Jun 1810 (my connection - gggg)
Andrew born 25 Nov 1815
William George christened 01 Jan 1818
Jean christened 10 May 1820

Also the 1841 census lists another person called Anne (daughter?) born in 1811.

I thought that their son Andrew was a blacksmith and that he married Elisabeth Primrose - but i cannot remember where this info came from (probably familysearch.com).  But i was getting rather lost by this point as there were several Andrew Grahams recorded in Auchtergaven at this time!  So i could have got the wrong Andrew. 

Hope this is useful :-)

Offline Duncan S.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 November 08 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello; looks like we have the right connection although I have Andrew Graham m. Christina Stewart at Kincardine by Doune on 8 Dec. 1844.  His daughter Catherine Graham m John Fingland (my GGG) at Lanrick Cottage on 24 Apr. 1866.  Andrew was listed as a ploughman and Catherine a dairymaid so they probably lived and worked on the Lanrick Estate which is near Doune.

Thank you for the additional info on William G and Janet as I had no further listing of children and dates for their marriage?  Looks as though the family did live and work in Auchtergaven.

Duncan S

Offline brodie5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 November 08 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Glad the information about Williams/Janet's children was useful.

Let me know if you manage to track down Williams parents - As that has had me stumped for quite a while !

I have had an idea regarding the wife of Andrew - perhaps he was married twice.  Your marriage to Christian was 1844 (he would be approx 31 yrs).  The marriage i had was to Elizabeth Primrose in 1858 (he would then be 43 yrs).  So he could have married twice - but this is just a guess.

Thanks again for your help :-)

Offline Duncan S.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 November 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Great that we have shared useful information and have a common search of genealogy.
I think that finding parents for William Graham will be a little more difficult as this would have been during the mid to late 1700's., a time of turmoil in this part of Scotland after the '45'.  At any rate will keep you posted if I make any discoveries.

Thanks again;

Duncan S. :-)

Offline Admi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 March 09 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Catherine Graham (who married John Fingland) is my great grandmother. My grandmother is their daughter Catherine Graham Fingland. She was born on August 12, 1892 at Milngate, Kirkmichael, Dumfriesshire (26 years after her parents' marriage).

She married twice - in 1918 to Oliver Fox who died in 1929, and in 1930 to Alexander ('Sandy') Palmer. She lived and died in Morebattle near Kelso and there are many relatives in that area.

My father is the product of the second marriage.
Palmer Service Fingland Kirk Lancaster

Offline brodie5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 March 09 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thanks very much for the info regarding Catherine Graham & also Catherine Graham Fingland.

It is lovely to see how other peoples tree's overlap with our own.

Catherine Graham's father Andrew is my ggg uncle (i think!).

I am descended from his brother James who married Janet Duff & later Janet Pirnie.

Thanks again for contacting me  :)