Author Topic: Flora McPherson/Gordon b. Inverness?  (Read 22510 times)

Offline Alison456

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flora McPherson/Gordon b. Inverness?
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for replying.  Your information fits in with what my mother found out.  John was her great uncle, brother of her grandmother Janet Gordon.  We have a family photo which includes him and his first wife and their 2 sons in about 1900. 
My mother also found that James Gordon (John and Janet's father) was the son of John Gordon and Janet McPherson (married in 1816).  John was the son of George Gordon and Janet McRobert who were married in 1782.  The Gordon line behind that is unclear but Janet McRobert was the daughter of Alexander McRobert who was the son of John McRobert and Elspet Lamb.  John McRobert's parents were another John McRobert and a Margaret Shearer.  I think that is as far back as the research went, but I have some more papers to check.  I'm not sure how much this is of interest to you, but I'm really pleased to have found a link to my great-great-uncle John and will tell my mother (aged 99), brother and sister about it!
Alison

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for replying.  Your information fits in with what my mother found out.  John was her great uncle, brother of her grandmother Janet Gordon.  We have a family photo which includes him and his first wife and their 2 sons in about 1900.
I'd be interested to see that photo.

I didn't take the line back any further because the Gordons were not blood relations. However my father was named John Gordon after Uncle Jay.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alison456

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 31 October 20 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I've taken so long to get back.  Here is the photo of the Gordons (and McKies) in about 1900.

My great-grandmother Janet McKie is holding the baby (my grandmother Meta).  Her brother John is at the back on the right and his wife is in the middle of the row in front of him.  I think their sons are the boys in the grey suits.

Alison