Author Topic: REMENYI, Cleveland, Ohio  (Read 9130 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: REMENYI, Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 June 05 17:23 BST (UK) »
I'll just have to quote Annie on that:
Nice job Valentino !! - that's impressive !!

That's fantastic !!! Thank you, very, very much !!

That is definitely going on Joszef's web-page !!

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 June 05 18:00 BST (UK) »
PS.   

svalentino,   Welcome to RootsChat !!  That's a great entrée  !!

PPS.

Valerie,  Looks like you did find the right Joseph Remenyi, a newspaper writer !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 June 05 20:35 BST (UK) »
Another thought. The 1920 census shows date of immigration of 1898.

From the New York Tmes Historical Papers:

EDOUARD REMENYI DEAD; The Violin Virtuoso Expires on the Stage in San Francisco at a Vaudeville Performance. HIS ENTRANCE IN A NEW FIELD The Audience Transported by the Music, Which Seemed to Show More Inspiration Than at Any Time Before. He died 15/MAY/1898

If Josephe's parents were at the funeral - he would have immigrated in 1898 - gone back to Hungary - and come back in 1914 as an adult.

Susan
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 June 05 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

thanks for that thought  :)

At the moment, I have no connection between Joseph's or Joszef's parents (Frantiszek and Johanna) and Edouard REMENYI, but I'll keep a note of this in case something turns up later.

Thanks again,
Bob

Offline DougHo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 19:26 BST (UK) »
Entering a date range including 1925 for Remenyi Joseph at Cuyahoga county land records site
http://recorder.cuyahogacounty.us/general.cfm
finds February/August buy/sell transactions for lot on Woodridge Rd (Cleveland Heights) in his and Margit's name.

Cleveland Necrology file Dec 1940 mentions death of 72 year-old Rose Lokosy (wife of Julius) mother of Mrs. Joseph Remenyi.  The earlier mentioned 1920 Cleveland census with Joseph/Marguerete has such  Julius/Rose (Lokos?) on the same page/address.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi DougHo,

Welcome to RootsChat, I hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do !!

Many thanks for this information.  I've just looked at the link you gave, and I shall definitely go there again, and see what  else I can find.

Thanks !!

Not sure about the reference to Julius/Rose Lokos, though.  As far as I know, his mother was called Johanna, and never left Europe.  I'll check that one out with my aunt !

It's amazing what people can find, online !

Thanks again
Bob

ps:
I clicked on "Optionally Specify Document Types (up to 5)" just to see what was available ---   WHOW !!!!

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 April 14 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hungarian Wikipedia lists him as Reményi József
(Born Pozsony, 1891. december 1. – Died Cleveland, USA, 1956. szeptember 25.)
amerikai magyar író, irodalomtörténész.

The following baptism year and location is bit out, but the parents names are very similar to the details you gave,
Josephus Carolus Reményi
IGI  Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
baptism:    1890    Trenčianska Teplá, Trenčín, Slovakia
father:    Franciscus Reményi       mother:    Johanna Mayerk

Roy G (Budapest)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 April 14 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,

That is fantastic, thank you !!

I have his sister's birth certificate, where the father is given as Frantizek Ruml and the mother as Johanna Maier v. Veh

There is a note on the cert. which says:
"In accordance with the Regulation Number 115443 from 19.11.1898, from the
Ministry of Internal Affairs [the Home Office], the name was changed to "Reményi"

I asked about this on a german forum and I was told that this was because of "Magyarisation" or "Hungarisation" !

Due to ever-changing boundaries in the 19th. Century, Hungary included 'bits' of various other countries, each with their own cultures and languages. The Hungarians introduced various regulations with the aim of assimilating the non-hungarian (non-magyar) peoples into a more homogeneous - hungarian or magyarian - culture.
(Wiki article on Magyarisation / Hungarisation

Thanks again,
Bob

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 April 14 09:23 BST (UK) »
Glad to help
I only just slung it in for you to consider because of the similarity of the parents' first names.  You coming up with a very similar maiden name for the mother looks to clinch it.  As there are no siblings listed in the same batch, it is quite possible that the family moved on to Poszony soon afterwards, and that is where Jozsef recalls being brought up.

Although you have a date, if his sister was subsequently born in Poszony, you would still need to know which of the many districts it was in.  It would have to be one of these which although now in Slovakia, are supplementary to the Hungarian family history resources produced by the local MACSE group.  Regrettably there is no index, they are just on a browse basis.

Pozsony, Német I. rész               Pozsony, Német II. rész             Pozsony, Német III. rész
 Pozsony, Szentháromság
 Pozsony, Szt. Márton I. rész        Pozsony, Szt. Márton II. rész      Pozsony, Szt. Márton III. rész
 Pozsony, Szt. Márton IV. rész      Pozsony, Szt. Márton V. rész

Pozsony, Virágvölgy I. rész          Pozsony, Virágvölgy II. rész
Pozsonybeszterce                        Pozsonyhidegkút

Roy G
Post script.  Changes between German and Hungarian on the sister's documents MAY mean that Johanna was also known as 'Mayer von Vegh'