Author Topic: Barkingside  (Read 20531 times)

Offline tigger75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barkingside
« on: Wednesday 15 October 08 12:47 BST (UK) »
My family all seem to come from Ley street and Horns road, my 3x grandfather started a greengrocers near to the Horn's public house but i have been unable to find any record's or photographs. As far as i am aware the buisness was still in opperation untill the 2nd world war. If anyone has any info i would be most grateful

Thank you

Hunt:Barkingside Essex
Perry:Barking/Ilford/Dagenham Essex
St Pier:Barkingside Essex
Knight:Barkingside Essex
English:Barkingside Essex
Stringer:Barkingside Essex

Offline Veronica63

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Angel Hotel Lavenham - Springett family
    • View Profile
Re: Barkingside
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 09 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It appears a relative of yours, John St Peir, was witness to the marriage of my Great Great Grandfather Stephen Maywood & Sarah Mack in Barkingside August 05, 1877 in The Parish Church.  Like you, the Maywood's all seem to be from either Horns Rd or Ley Street.

Veronica
Maywood (Essex); Mack (Essex); Springett (Suffolk); Parmenter (Suffolk); Cass (Lancashire); Bellingall (Lancashire); Andrews (Kent); Langley (Kent); Bean (Kent); Husk (Kent); Stannard (Kent); Spain (Kent)

Offline tigger75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica

John St Pier was indeed one of my relatives, It's such a shame that there seem to be very little info on Horn's road for that period. My great great Grandfather William Hunt was born and died at 126 Horn's road, sadly the house was knocked down for development in the 1970's.
Good luck with your research and if i come across anything in the future i will let you know.

Regards Lana

Offline Veronica63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 June 09 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Lana,

Unfortunately, I am over the other side of the world in Australia so have yet to make the pilgrimage to Barkingside & Southend on Sea and see where I descended from. The family home was 4 Horns Rd (they all seem to be born there or die there!). It appears Horns Rd seem to house most of the Maywoods' prior to the 1890's along with other families.

regards

Veronica
Maywood (Essex); Mack (Essex); Springett (Suffolk); Parmenter (Suffolk); Cass (Lancashire); Bellingall (Lancashire); Andrews (Kent); Langley (Kent); Bean (Kent); Husk (Kent); Stannard (Kent); Spain (Kent)

Offline tigger75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 09 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica

I do have a couple of photo's of horn's road I'll dig them out, scan them and send them in a message if you would be interested.

Lana

Offline Veronica63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 June 09 22:52 BST (UK) »
That would be very much appreciated, thank you.  ;D

Offline tigger75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 June 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica

Here are two photo's as promised

Lana

Offline tigger75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 June 09 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica

I do have another photo of Horns road but the file is too large to post on here, sorry

Regards Lana

Offline pem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Lana and Veronica just had to post this information.  I know most of the names you have mentioned.  My Grandmother was a Maywood before marrying a Smith.  I spent my childhood in Newbury Park from early 50's.  It was then called the freehold  and functioned very much like a village.   My Grandmother had an Uncle Stephen who married a Sarah they in turn had two boys called, Stephen brn 1979 and Henry brn 1881.  Henry was described as a bricklayer at the age of 20 in 1901 and Stephen Maywood was described as a carman.   The Maywoods seem to have started life as Mawhood.   I have just been sent lots of information re the family and I need to sort through it.  Although I know for sure that Thomas Fountain married a Jane sometime in 1800 and they had a daughter Hannah who married Henry Maywood (he was born 1802) they in turn had a son called Henry born 1830 who married Lucy White on 7th Janauary 1855 they were my Grandmothers grandparents.   Most people at that time were working on farms in the area.   Sorry I haven't any photo's.  I remember the Hunts and something tells me that they could have been involved with the Salvation Army, but don't hold me to that as my memory isn't that clear.