Author Topic: Barkingside  (Read 20524 times)

Offline pem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barkingside
« Reply #27 on: Monday 14 September 09 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Pem,   I will get her marriage cert - let you know what I find.

Michael

Thanks that would be great.

Pem - received marriage cert and confirms that Annie Pipe says her father was Henry Pipe. However I reckon she was not giving the facts.  She is definitely the grand daughter of George Pipe & Ruth (nee Ancona), and as far as I can see they didn't have a son Henry.  I will have a look at the birth cert and get back to you.

Michael
Thanks for that Michael.  I think you are right with your assumptions.  'Ancona' is an unsual name, or perhaps I haven't heard of it before,  do you know anymore?   Unfortunately I cannot find out anything else re Annie from this end but I will keep searching.   Pem

Offline JennyP2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 18 October 09 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Pem, I am fairly sure that I know exactly who Annie Maywood was. In the early eighties, I spent many hours talking to an elderly relative, Edie Neil (nee Warren). Annie Maywood was her aunt.  Annie was the sister of Edie's father, George Warren and my greatgrandfather, Alfred Warren. Their parents were Henry and Mary Warren whose maiden name was Pipe and Mary's  parents were George and Ruth Pipe. Mary was also a midwife. In the 1871 Annie's age was given as 11 and in the 1881 cesuses she was 20. I know that one should be cautious about info from elderly relatives but Edie was incredibly accurate in everything which she told me. She couldn't remember Annie's husband's first name as she had always known him by his nickname, 'Bogie.' (sorry about that). Edie also told me about the children of Annie and Bogie Maywood so if what she told me fits with what you know of them, it will help to confirm that Annie was a Warren? Their children were 1. Jim who was a captain in the army and was killed in the war. 2.Lucy who was Edie's godmother. 3. Annie   4. Ester. 5. a son who married someone called Sue and he lived until almost 100. 6. a daughter who lived at Billericay. 7 . Emily who was always known as PEM! I believe that Pem lived in the Barkingside area as I can remember Edie talking of visiting her. Was Pem your grandmother? If so then I think we may be third cousins?     
                              Jenny

Offline pem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny, thank you so much for all the information, yes it looks as if you have found a cousin.  My grandmother was Pem and yes I think I remember an Edie, did she live in Netley Road?    I was sent some information from a Michael Pipe who was investigating all the people called Pipe, and he gave me the name of Annie's mother and grandparents so I do know you are on the right track.   I heard the name of Warren when I was younger.  Annie's husband was Henry Maywood, they had seven children, Alice was the eldest, then James (the soldier who was killed in France in first world war), Lucy, William, Esther, Emily(Pem) and Annie.   The last child Annie's grandchildren have been in touch with me they,are think, are also third cousins.  If you would like to contact through email please let me know.  Kind regards Pem

Offline JennyP2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 24 October 09 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Pem,
  Yes Edie did live in Netley Road - in the last house on the right at the end of the road. She would be delighted to know that we are in touch. One detail which I omitted in my first message was that Henry Warren and Mary Pipe were married on 5th Dec.1861 at Barkingside ie after Annie was born so explains why she was known as Annie Pipe? I would love to be in E-mail contact but I believe that I have to have posted three messages before I can do so.... better post another message.
                                      Jenny

Offline JennyP2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 24 October 09 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Pem,
 I have not go very far with the ancestors of George and Ruth Pipe. The only clues are that George  aged 73, gave his birthplace as Woodbridge, Suffolk in the 1881 census. Also in the 1881 census an Edward Pipe, aged 72 living in W.Ham gave his birthplace as Woodbridge. I have found the marriage of Edward to Hannah Fisher at Barkingside in 1836 so it is quite possible that Edward and George were brothers? A Sarah Pipe was buried at Barkingside , aged 84 in 1859....possible Mother?
                                                   Jenny

Offline JennyP2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 30 October 09 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

As Mawhood is such a rare name, I thought you might like to know about an article in the Nov. issue of TNA's Ancestors magazine( p.71) concerning a book published in1956 by the Catholic Record Soceity: William Mawhood's The Mawhood Diaries. It contains a selection from the diary of William Mawhood, a woollen draper of London for the years 1764-90. No more details are given; just the suggestion to try booksellers such as abebooks.
                                       Jenny

Offline ultimate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 20 July 13 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Pem,

I am a relation of Thomas Fountain. He was my 4th Great Grandfather and was wondering if you had any information on him. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im have only been doing my family tree for a short time and live in Australia. So any help would be great.

Thanks

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 20 July 13 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi. My family lived in Horns Road too (1 Hersom Place).
They were Hicks ... George and Susan b.1808 and 1814 - my gggg grandparents. They had a son, Alenbur, my ggg grandfather, (later called Allenburgh, and Alfred!) and a grandson, George Hicks, my gg grandfather. George had a daughter, Daisy, my g grandmother, who married Cecil Edwin Amey. He supposedly had a vinegar business/ tomato growing business in the first half of the 1900s. I don't suppose anyone has any of them in their family tree? I have census returns etc. Just wondered if anyone had any stories etc?
Seem a popular place to live!
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline charfountain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 07 February 21 13:15 GMT (UK) »

Hi all,

Hope you are well and staying safe. I noticed that this is an old post but hopefully you are still active on here :) My great grandad is ALFRED CHARLES FOUNTAIN who is married to Marianne Kyffin
We are connected to the Maywoods ilford Horns rd and Ley rd, but bit of a grey area why a relative changed over to the surname Fountain?? My dad researched it awhile ago now and reckoned that surname change was approx 1830s time? Possible Hannah Fountain is why?
We would love to know more :)