Author Topic: Barkingside  (Read 20491 times)

Offline tigger75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barkingside
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 July 09 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Pem

Thanks for the info my grandfathers sister Alice Hunt was indeed involved with the salvation army. I also have connections with the Fountain's, and am almost certain i have Maywoods in my tree somewhere will have to bring it up to double check i'll let you know.

Regards  Lana
Hunt:Barkingside Essex
Perry:Barking/Ilford/Dagenham Essex
St Pier:Barkingside Essex
Knight:Barkingside Essex
English:Barkingside Essex
Stringer:Barkingside Essex

Offline Veronica63

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Angel Hotel Lavenham - Springett family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 July 09 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Pem,

Stephen Maywood Jnr was my Great Grandfather......I have quite a bit of information on the Maywoods & Fountains if you are interested. I have attached a photo of Stephen Snr with his "second" family with a lady named Gertrude Wagner. Although married to Sarah Mack Stephen saw fit to dally elsewhere at times as did Stephen Jr! Long story!

Pem, was your Grandmother Emily Maywood? If so, I think we have been in contact via Genes!

Maywood (Essex); Mack (Essex); Springett (Suffolk); Parmenter (Suffolk); Cass (Lancashire); Bellingall (Lancashire); Andrews (Kent); Langley (Kent); Bean (Kent); Husk (Kent); Stannard (Kent); Spain (Kent)

Offline tigger75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 July 09 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Pem

Sorry but my grandmother was not Emily Maywood. I am on Gene's but i don't think we have spoken before.
I have searched my tree's but not found a match for Maywood's but the name seems so familiar it must crop up somewhere (maybe a distant relative I've not put on yet). My links with Barkingside are through the Hunt's, St Pier's, Knight's, English's, Stringer's and Perry's. My Great grandfather also had a greengrocer's in Horn's Road along the parade of shop's near the Horn's Pub.
I will keep searching my paper work for the name Maywood as it definitely rings a bell.

Lana
Hunt:Barkingside Essex
Perry:Barking/Ilford/Dagenham Essex
St Pier:Barkingside Essex
Knight:Barkingside Essex
English:Barkingside Essex
Stringer:Barkingside Essex

Offline pem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 July 09 10:18 BST (UK) »
 Victoria and Lana,  I am sorry I am not up to speed using this site yet so am replying to you both together.

Firstly Victoria, thank you so much for the photograph,  yes looking at the paperwork I have been sent Stephen certainly spread himself around!   My Grandmother was Emily, her eldest sister was Alice brn 1880, reputed to be a half sister, but this was never substantiated, then James, born 1886 he was killed August 1918 in France towards the end of second world war, then William was brn 1889, Lucy brn (no date), Esther born 1892, Emily, brn 1894 and lastly Annie brn 1898.  Their father Henry Maywood, whose brother was Stephen was blinded at some pointed in his life.  I will be in touch again once I have sorted through the information I have, but it looks as we have a family connection.  Thanks once again.

I have been on Genes, but I haven't subscribed to it just put a little info on.

Lana,  I am sure we must be related somewhere along the line, it seems everyone is that came from Horns Road.    I have some information that might be of interest, firstly  Mrs English was a good friend of my Grandmothers.   I remember Alice Hunt, a very nice lady.    Not sure if this helps but I have details of a Edith Fountain who married a John Faulkner in 1907 in Holy Trinity Church, John Faulkner was a Greengrocer he was born March 1882.     I am not sure where Edith Rose Fountain/Maywood fits into the family tree, or even if she is anything to do with your family tree.

Anway just to thank you both and I will be in touch with more information as it surfaces.   Perhaps there is something you could help me with my Great Grandmother who was married to Henry Maywood, was originally an Annie Pipe(or Piper) she was a midwife in the Newbury Park area and died in 1919.  I have no real information on her.

Offline mawhoodmz

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 August 09 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Pem
I have some (unchecked) info regarding a William Mawhood b 1777 who changed his name to Maywood. William's grandfather was a Samuel Mawhood who m Susan Weatherhead at Barking in 1744. Circumstantial evidence gives me a Samuel Mawhood as a 'leaf' on my family tree who may be the same. Maybe you have more on this.

Offline Veronica63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 August 09 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi mawhoodmz!

I would be very interested to hear any more information that you may have on Samuel Mawhood & Susan Weatherhead as I am a direct descendant of William and his father Charles who was b.1750 in Barkingside and married Mary Howard in 1/02/ 1771 in Barking. Their children were Mary, Susannah, William, Charles, Samuel and Sarah Elizabeth.

regards

Veronica
Maywood (Essex); Mack (Essex); Springett (Suffolk); Parmenter (Suffolk); Cass (Lancashire); Bellingall (Lancashire); Andrews (Kent); Langley (Kent); Bean (Kent); Husk (Kent); Stannard (Kent); Spain (Kent)

Offline mawhoodmz

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 August 09 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica

In my family tree I have a Charles Mawhood, b 1660 at Darfield, Yorkshire (IGI batch P017531). He was a captain in the East India Company - one day I may have time to search their records for him. He died in 1736 (Fam. Min. Gent., Harleian Society vol 38), and in his will of 1734 he made a bequest to his nephew 'Samuel Mawhood late of Hull and now of Wapping the sum of one hundred pounds'. Samuel had married one Mary Prockter of Hull in 1721 (Yorkshire Archaeological Journal vol XIV, also in Boyd's Marriage Index); they had three sons, all of whom went to sea and were never heard of more, apparently. However, this ain't quite so; son no. 1, Charles - no birth date, but estimated c1722 - was captured by 'Angria the pirate'. In 'The Honourable Company' by John Keay, three major captures by the Maratha navy commanded by Tulaji Angrey are mentioned in this period: the Derby, in 1735, the Princess Augusta in 1742, and the Restoration in 1749. Other smaller vessels were captured, but I think it most likely that Charles was on one of these. The Angrian fleet was crushed by the Bombay Marine with the help of the Navy in 1755-56. Son no. 2, Samuel, christened in 1724 at Hull (IGI batch C107483), is quite probably the ship's boy listed as having paid his wages of £4 16s 0d to his captain, George Spurrell, in 1735 (Appendix, "The Master's Measure:" Remunerative Patterns for Hudson's Bay Company Captains, 1726-1736, Michael J. Broyles, The Northern Mariner/Le Marin du nord, VIII, No. 3 July 1998), 1-8); this was normal practice for an apprentice seaman at that time. He may very likely be the Samuel who married Susan Weatherhead in 1744 at Barking. Samuel was 'lost at sea' - I have no further information about him. In 1746 and 1747 during the war against France, Hudson's Bay Company ships carried a 'letter of marque', a privateering commission permitting them to capture enemy shipping. This is significant because son no. 3, Richard, christened in 1726 at Hull (IGI batch C107483) was the plaintiff in the trial of Sarah Kennigem at the Old Bailey in 1748 (www.oldbaileyonline.org ref t17481012-20). In the account of the trial he is named as a mariner of the parish of St Paul, Shadwell, son of Samuel Mawhood. Sarah Kennigem was accused of stealing some money belonging to him from a chest in the house where he lodged (with his father). She was found guilty and condemned to death. Justice was harsh in those days. The point is though that the money was prize money, ie his share of the proceeds from the sale of a captured enemy ship. According to Fam. Min. Gent. Richard drowned off Newfoundland - does this perhaps suggest that he followed his brother into the service of the Hudson's Bay Company?

Another reference I forgot to add:
National Archives HCA 26/4/52 - Records of the High Court of Admiralty: Prize Court: Registers of Declarations for Letters of Marque; against France
27 April 1744 - Samuel Mawhood named as boatswain of the Hudson's Bay Company ship Prince Rupert, commanded by George Spurrell

Offline pem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 August 09 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Pem
I have some (unchecked) info regarding a William Mawhood b 1777 who changed his name to Maywood. William's grandfather was a Samuel Mawhood who m Susan Weatherhead at Barking in 1744. Circumstantial evidence gives me a Samuel Mawhood as a 'leaf' on my family tree who may be the same. Maybe you have more on this.

Hello Mawhoodmz, this Mawhood/Maywood family tree seems to be growing at a rate of knots.  I have:
William brn 1777 died 1827. Burial 7th October Barkingside.  
His parents were Charles Mawhood brn 1750  and Mary Howard  brn 1750 they married 1.2.1771 in Barking after the birth of their first child Mary.

William's siblings Mary brn 1770, Susannah brn 1771 died 1791 in Barkingside, then WILLIAM brn 1777, Charles brn 1780, Samuel brn 1784, Sarah brn 1786  and finally Anne brn 1789 died aged 2.   
Initially change of name could just  have been down to a spelling mistake, just a thought. 

WILLIAM Mawhood m  6.5. 1797 Martha Faulkner (brn 1766 died - 1811 in Barkingside.) Martha was the daughter of Henry Faulkner and Sarah Hammond.
Children of William and Martha:
Martha brn 1798, Mary brn 1799, Charles 1801, HENRY brn 24th April 1802 (my 3x great grandfather) William brn 1803, Samuel brn 29 November 1804 baptized Barkingside,  died 3rd April 1836 in Barkingside, he married an Anne,  last sibling was another Charles brn 1808?   HENRY, went on to marry Hannah Fountain they were my Grandmothers great grandparents.     It becomes confusing because they all seem to use the same names,  I've so many Henrys in my lot I am beginning to lose the plot!  Good luck hope this is some help.

Offline Veronica63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 August 09 05:43 BST (UK) »
Mawhoodmz, thanks for this information...fascinating! Am I guessing right that Samuel was the father to Charles who was born in 1750? Charles was the father of William b 1777. Let me know if I have the connection wrong.

Pem thought you might like to see these? The first is Henry Maywood, blinded by his mistress apparently! Henry was the older brother to my GG Grandfather Stephen. The other picture is of Henry's daughters, Annie, Esther & Emily. Annie by the way is a dead ringer for my mother's younger sister and my youngest niece!