Author Topic: VOYSEY in Australia  (Read 9843 times)

Offline MatildaFlorence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
VOYSEY in Australia
« on: Thursday 16 October 08 07:39 BST (UK) »
John Voysey (b. 12 July 1798) married  Margaret Good (b. 1809) on 7 Feb 1826 in England. He died 27 June 1876 and was buried at Rockhampton Cemetery Sect 1 Grave 59, as was she 3 years prev Sect 2 Grave 43.

Looking for any info on this family in Australia. Does anyone know where I could request a look up/photo request for the Rockhampton burials?

They were Lang immigrants on the Fortitude into Brisbane.

I am looking for any transcripts/info from official records or media apart from BDM (although please tell me if you notice info missing) such as electoral roll, etc.

I believe the family is in some way distantly related to the architect CFA Voysey. Just a myth right now, but it is an extremely unusual name, apparently.

John & Margaret's Children

1..Margaret Jane   

married Edward Thomas Smith 1847
married (?) John Pittman, apparently 1850
partnered mystery man 3 also, c 1861

2..John Zachariah

3..Thomas

4..Samuel

5..Catherine (Kate)
married 4 Dec 1851 Farquhar Aberdeen                                     

6..William 
married Marion Spence

7..George
 married 5 Aug 1862 Sophia Hughes

8..Mary Ann         
married John Smith 31 Jan 1859 Moreton Bay (believe this to be BIL Edward Smith's brother)

9..Helen/Ellen 

10..Sarah
married John Armstrong 16 Oct 1866

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
Re: VOYSEY in Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 October 08 07:49 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look at http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

A search for Voysey brings 158 results, some of which are for Queensland newspapers.

.....dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 October 08 09:29 BST (UK) »
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 October 08 09:44 BST (UK) »
Looking for any info on this family in Australia. Does anyone know where I could request a look up/photo request for the Rockhampton burials?

http://www.raogk.org/queensland.htm

If you scroll down the link there is a contact email address for a volunteer who is willing to photograph graves in the Rockhampton area.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 October 08 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Lots of guidance for all Australian resources are at the top of this board.

Looking through them you may see the kind of reference material you are seeking.

Without your specifying the connections and the names and dates of your particular interest, it is hard to know how best to help as we do not really know where you are with your searching at present.

You may be intersted in this from QLD bmd.
Ernest Alfrd Voysey  b. 1869 [C2436] father William mother Marion Spence married Elizabeth Annie Porter in 1896[C1345]  They'd had a son named Ernest Alfred Voysey in 1894 [c7839]

He has a lengthy digitised record on National Archives site which you will find very  interesting and informative. It is from ww1
He may have married in NSW to Kathleen  Norah   Watson in 1951 as a somewhat  older bridegroom.
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MatildaFlorence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 October 08 11:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all the helpful ppl who have offered info.

To be more specific, my particular interest lies with Margaret Voysey (b 1826), m Edward Smith, m2 John Pittman. The reason I did not specify DOBs for the family is that (1) I have them already and (2) they were all born in England. I have listed all the spouses I have on record to this point.

As I mentioned in my first post, they migrated into Brisbane and most of them stayed in QLD. Their locations that I know about other than Brisbane would be Mackay and Rockhampton. I know Margaret (the daughter) was in NSW c 1856 as Margaret Pittman, went to Brisbane as a Voysey again c 1862 and died as a Pittman in 1905 in Clifton, NSW.

I am interested in the whole family as I have 'cousins' from the various lines that are researching also that I could pass info on to.

All John Voysey and Margaret Good's children were born in England before they moved to Australia in 1849. Margaret was the eldest.

I hope this helps! Once again, thanks so much for all advice so far! Very much appreciated  ;D

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 October 08 07:03 BST (UK) »
Noticed a little on your family on
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/10421/20041220-0000/www.firstfamilies2001.net.au/firstfamily0370.html?id=Voysey18584345710

There is a contact email address...but it may no longer be valid. 

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 October 08 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelmark

Glad to hear that  you think the leads so far given on the board may be of use to you.
If, after reading up on them, you have specific requests for searches  about Margaret- or the others, I am sure the chatters will try to help further.

No-one named Pittman voted at the Clifton NSW Polling place for the Federal  Election in 1903.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MatildaFlorence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 October 08 10:00 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look at http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

A search for Voysey brings 158 results, some of which are for Queensland newspapers.

.....dee

This is the best tip I've had for years, thanks Dee! Found heaps of other lines here too.   :-*