Author Topic: Angelina MOWER born 1829 - Bury  (Read 13234 times)

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ANGELINA MOWER born 1829 - Bury
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 19 October 08 20:13 BST (UK) »
The whole Angelina/Frederick saga is so confusing.

I still can't understand why Angelina would put down a Frederick Mower (carpenter) as her father on her marriage certificate.  She definitely had down living at Rope Walk, which is where Sophia was living.. so it could be her mother?

Confusing lol  ???
Serjeant/ Sergeant/ Surgun/
Ipswich, Suffolk......
Shaw - Halifax area, (Ovenden, Northowram, Brighouse), Yorkshire......
Garratt - Crich/Belper/Ambergate, Derbyshire......
Elliott - Dewsbury, Yorkshire.....
Kay - Walton, Yorkshire.....
Griffiths - East Dean, Gloucestershire.....

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 20 October 08 13:24 BST (UK) »
Don't forget that we can't be absolutely certain at this stage that Sophia was Angelinas mother.

Good point  -  although the address helps link Angelina to Sophia and Adelaide, we have no evidence that Sophia was Angelina's mother.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 20 October 08 14:25 BST (UK) »
I've looked at the marriage certificate again... the only witnesses were a Hannah Serjeant (her mother in law) and a William Read?  Wonder who the William Read was? 

I still can't understand why she would name a Frederick Mower as the father, wouldn't it have been better to have left it blank?  Not sure what they did in those days.

thanks for all your help again  ;)
Ipswich, Suffolk......

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Angelina MOWER born 1829 - Bury
« Reply #39 on: Monday 20 October 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
Illegitimacy held more of a stigma in those days. It was not uncommon for someone who was illegitimate to make up a father rather than leave that part of their marriage cert blank. It was also not uncommon for someone to give the name of the person who had been a father to them (eg a stepfather or even a grandfather).

We do not know if this is the case with Angelina - Frederick may indeed be her father. or not. We just dont have anything prooved about her parentage. We know she was living with Sophia in 1841 that is all - Sophia may be an aunt or cousin or other rellie.

I am sure you will get this sorted one day - but it may take a long time approaching it from different angles and following all sorts of leads. For example you could get Sophia's death cert - I dont imagine it will help - if she was living with Adelaide and her hubby I would imagine that one of them registered it. But you never know - if Angelina happenend to register it and is recorded as "daughter" or otherwise, that would confirm her relationship with Sophia. But that is a small chance and you may not consider it worth spending £7 on. Likewise Adelaide's marriage cert may or not help, we said it would be interesting to see who she names as her father....again it is up to you as to whether you wish to spend £7 on that lead.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 15:22 BST (UK) »
There is an Angelina Cudby christened in November 1829 at one of the Parishes in Bury. 

Her parents were recorded as a John Cudby and Mary Ann Cook.

Not sure if this is the same Angelina though.

I've paid the £7 today for a copy of the marriage certificate for Adelaide Mower, hopefully sometime mid next week I should receive a copy .. fingers crossed, and I will let you know the outcome of her father's name.

:)
Ipswich, Suffolk......

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 27 October 08 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just to let you know that the copy marriage certificate for Adelaide arrived today. (which was extremely quick).

The witnesses were Angelina Serjeant and Ebenezer Serjeant :o , and the father of Adelaide was a WILLIAM MOWER, labourer.  Adelaide's address is Hill Street, St Helen, Ipswich.

So the father is William Mower... do you think that William is Frederick Mower?

::)
Ipswich, Suffolk......

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 27 October 08 12:28 GMT (UK) »
The first thing about this cert is good news - it finally confirms for sure that we are on to the right family with the Sophia/Angelina/Adelaide lot - as it links your Angelina (who you know married Ebenezer Seargent, that was your starting point) with the Adelaide who appears as a daughter to the Sophia. If I remember rightly we have never seen Angelina described as Sophia's daughter (will have to read back through thread to be 100%sure).

So - Adelaide says HER father was a William Mower! Is this a porkypie to cover illegitimacy - but she chose a different name to Angelina? Or was her father actually a William Mower who for some reason (dead or otherwise) was not with the family in 1841. Angelina could be a niece, her dad Frederick being William's brother or something like that and everyone was indeed telling the truth. Still sooooo many possibiliites. onwards and Upwards though, we will get there!!!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 27 October 08 12:39 GMT (UK) »
I think Angelina was on a census (probably 1841) with Sophia and Adelaide, but they were in London somewhere, but definitely the same family.  (not sure why they would be in London though, that's another puzzle).

I'm wondering if there is anyway of trying to trace a William Mower (probably from Ipswich and probs born around 1800 ish?).  Maybe he was called William Frederick Mower, but used Frederick in the early days, but then again, maybe they were both made up names. 

If they were made up names, why would she make the names up.. using her surname?  especially with witnesses being family.

I really don't know, and am so confused with the Angelina Saga lol.   ???

Should I try to find a William Mower?

Ipswich, Suffolk......

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 27 October 08 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I think Angelina was on a census (probably 1841) with Sophia and Adelaide, but they were in London somewhere, but definitely the same family.  (not sure why they would be in London though, that's another puzzle).

yes- but 1841 does not have relationships, so we still do not know if Angelina is a daughter of Sophia or not.

I have had a quick look on freeBMD at marriages, and on the IGI, but cant see any William Mower marrying a Sophia in Suffolk.

Still a mystery.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex