Author Topic: George Shaw Rutherford  (Read 32416 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Shaw Rutherford
« Reply #45 on: Friday 26 June 15 01:55 BST (UK) »
RUTHERFORD, George Shaw, Esq., M.D. (ofCornastalk).Son of the late James Rutherford, Esq., of Cornastalk, co. Leitrim, by Mary, dau. of William Shaw, Esq., of Clunie, co. Sligo ; b. 1789 ; to. 1832 Eliza-
beth, 2nd dau. of John Tilden, Esq., of Ifield Court, Kent. Is a Surgeon R.N. This family is descended from the Rutherfords, Borderers, of Roxburgshire, and is intimately connected with the family of the late Sir Walter Scott, whose mother’s maiden name was Rutherford. — 23, Devonshire Street, W.
Heir, his son Jolm James, b. 1841.

RUTHERFURD, William Oliver, Esq. (of Eclgerston). Son of the late William Oliver, Esq., of Dinfulgre,
and nephew of the late James Rutherfurd, Esq.;b. 1781 ; s. his father in 1830, and his uncle in
1834 ; m. 1804 Agnes, dau. of Alexander Chatto,Esq. Educated at Eton and Edinburgh University ; called to tbe Scottish Bar 1803 ; appointed Sheriff of co. Roxburgh in 1807 ; is a Magistrateand Dep. Lieut, for co. Roxburgh, and Convener for co. Roxburgh. — Edgerston, near Jedburgb,
Roxburghshire.
Heir, his son William Alexander, b. 1818.

Sorry to "butt in" on the thread but I thought I'd ask here as you are knowledgeable about Sir Walter Scott's family. 

Would you know whether Sir Walter Scott was related to these Rutherfurds please (but with a u)? Henry Thomas Rutherfurd of the 35th Regiment died in Jersey, Channel Islands in 1828.  Henry's sister had a quite a public annulment of her marriage:   

Henry's father-in-law was Robert MacKay, paymaster of the 21st Regiment, who was called to give evidence:
https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=-htDAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA779&dq=mackay+paymaster&hl=en&sa=X&ei=URSHVdjYGs7o8AXu3ZjQAQ&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=mackay%20paymaster&f=false

According to some online trees, Henry Thomas Rutherford was the son of Capt John RUTHERFURD of 79th Regt & Hunthill (1765-1799) and Margaret EDGAR.

Capt John RUTHERFORD was the son of Henry RUTHERFURD of Hunthill b. 1742 and Agnes
LAUDER

Henry RUTHERFURD was the son of  Sir John RUTHERFURD, advocate (1687-1764) by his second marriage (1740/1) to Sarah NISBET

However they're not mentioned here:
https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=0NEKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1167&lpg=PA1167&dq=henry+rutherfurd+agnes+lauder&source=bl&ots=a7MYhV7zod&sig=booM23oaO_K4hDMVVENc_2VAXgM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uqmMVYT_PMScsAWl1L-4Cw&ved=0CDUQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=henry%20rutherfurd%20agnes%20lauder&f=false

Or would you have any knowledge of Robert MacKay's background?  One of the charts below shows that Walter's step-mother was an Ann MacKay.   

I've looked at these charts, and it suggests that they're not related, but I have found errors in some other charts on this site.

http://www.swintonfamilysociety.org/web%20charts%20Jan%202005/Swint%20Ch.01-3/SWINTON_Ch01D_Sh1.pdf

http://www.swintonfamilysociety.org/web%20charts%20Jan%202005/Royal-Wright/RUTHERFORD_Ch1.pdf

http://www.swintonfamilysociety.org/web%20charts%20Jan%202005/Royal-Wright/SCOTT_Ch1_Sh1.pdf

Thank you for any insight you can offer.

Edit:  This version (1863) does mention Sir Walter Scott on page 1309.  It still doesn't include the people mentioned above though.
https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=Ni4BAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA1310&lpg=PA1310&dq=sir+john+nisbet+henry+rutherfurd&source=bl&ots=n6m7PJwptK&sig=serrMK_4S1KP3rCYRNavxZI4OPE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=67KMVfCHOIvZtQWDtaO4BA&ved=0CCEQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=sir%20john%20nisbet%20henry%20rutherfurd&f=false

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 26 June 15 09:50 BST (UK) »

Offline hurworth

RootsChat Extra
    Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
        View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #45 on: Today at 01:55:14 AM »

Quote from: hallmark on June 17, 2015, 05:40:15 PM

RUTHERFORD, George Shaw, Esq., M.D. (ofCornastalk).Son of the late James Rutherford, Esq., of Cornastalk, co. Leitrim, by Mary, dau. of William Shaw, Esq., of Clunie, co. Sligo ; b. 1789 ; to. 1832 Eliza-
    beth, 2nd dau. of John Tilden, Esq., of Ifield Court, Kent. Is a Surgeon R.N. This family is descended from the Rutherfords, Borderers, of Roxburgshire, and is intimately connected with the family of the late Sir Walter Scott, whose mother’s maiden name was Rutherford. — 23, Devonshire Street, W.
    Heir, his son Jolm James, b. 1841.

RUTHERFURD, William Oliver, Esq. (of Eclgerston). Son of the late William Oliver, Esq., of Dinfulgre,
    and nephew of the late James Rutherfurd, Esq.;b. 1781 ; s. his father in 1830, and his uncle in
    1834 ; m. 1804 Agnes, dau. of Alexander Chatto,Esq. Educated at Eton and Edinburgh University ; called to tbe Scottish Bar 1803 ; appointed Sheriff of co. Roxburgh in 1807 ; is a Magistrateand Dep. Lieut, for co. Roxburgh, and Convener for co. Roxburgh. — Edgerston, near Jedburgb,
    Roxburghshire.
    Heir, his son William Alexander, b. 1818.

Sorry to "butt in" on the thread but I thought I'd ask here as you are knowledgeable about Sir Walter Scott's family.

Would you know whether Sir Walter Scott was related to these Rutherfurds please (but with a u)? Henry Thomas Rutherfurd of the 35th Regiment died in Jersey, Channel Islands in 1828.  Henry's sister had a quite a public annulment of her marriage:   

Henry's father-in-law was Robert MacKay, paymaster of the 21st Regiment, who was called to give evidence:
https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=-htDAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA779&dq=mackay+paymaster&hl=en&sa=X&ei=URSHVdjYGs7o8AXu3ZjQAQ&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=mackay%20paymaster&f=false

According to some online trees, Henry Thomas Rutherford was the son of Capt John RUTHERFURD of 79th Regt & Hunthill (1765-1799) and Margaret EDGAR.

Capt John RUTHERFORD was the son of Henry RUTHERFURD of Hunthill b. 1742 and Agnes
LAUDER

Henry RUTHERFURD was the son of  Sir John RUTHERFURD, advocate (1687-1764) by his second marriage (1740/1) to Sarah NISBET

---------------------------

Too huge to even consider!!

Even Napoleon Bonaparte's wife was a Nesbitt widow!! Yes it connects to Scott etc...

If you google  "Gainsboro" AND "Blue Boy"  you'll find the Nesbitts owned the painting and from there you should find a link to Nesbitt website which is massive.....

The Nesbitts start with 3 brothers in Donegal... one went south via Carrick on Shannon, the other to Cavan/Monaghan and the other to Antrim.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 26 June 15 09:57 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 27 June 15 10:46 BST (UK) »
Marriages

Henry Stewart of Maherboy f. Pat. Stewart to Jane Shaw of Cloneen 1867 3rd Apr No 80

http://www.thestewartsinireland.ie/sligo-records/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 11 July 15 17:48 BST (UK) »
Rutherford Allan   Manorhamilton Old Church County Leitrim
Rutherford Anna   Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford Annie   Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford Bertie   Lurganboy Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford Burriss   Lurganboy Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford Charles   Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford E   Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford Elizabeth   Manorhamilton Old Church County Leitrim
Rutherford Emily   Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford F   Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford George   Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford John   Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford John   Manorhamilton Old Church County Leitrim
Rutherford M   Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford Mary   Manorhamilton Old Church County Leitrim
Rutherford Nellie   Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford Robert   Lurganboy Church of Ireland County Leitrim
Rutherford Robert   Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim

Offline howdyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 17 July 15 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi - Haven't been on for a while. They sent me the article of the death of James Rutherford in 1852 Carrick-on-the-Shannon and it wasn't the James Rutherford I am looking for.  He was only 19 years old.  My problem is the records are not avilable for James Rutherford's will, marriage, etc.  When his son George Shaw Rutherford, M.D. married Elizabeth Tilden in England, James Rutherford (Sr.) didn't attend the wedding and neither did his mother Mary Shaw Rutherford.  Very odd for this family.  My suspecious mind tells me he may have been ill or already died.  The Rutherford men didn't marry until well into their 30's.  George Shaw happened to be 41.  I had the death date of the oldest son James Rutherford who was born in 1779 and died in 1862.

Everyone I have written to regardin the will of James Rutherford in 1813 says it is either not available anymore or too fragile.  I just want to know if there is any information in there!

Thanks so much for all your help.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 17 July 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
The Will might not be there but did the inheritors register their inheritance at Will/Deeds, Henrietta St, Dublin??

Most likely!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 17 July 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
well you know now where the Shaws were from!  Clunie, Collooney, Co. Sligo and contact details are on notice board for that church!

Offline howdyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 17 July 15 20:08 BST (UK) »
How do I know which church it is?  There seemed to be several?