Author Topic: George Shaw Rutherford  (Read 32155 times)

Offline toucksman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Shaw Rutherford
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Following up on your note of 2018 about George Shaw Rutherford  who you say was uncle of Francis James Shaw (himself, per your info, born 2821 in Sligo to father Robert Shaw and mother Christian Carroll.  My own family line go back to Shaws of Cornstaulk in Manorhamilton which is same address as various Rutherfords. My GGGrandfather was George Warren Shaw (c1792-1874) (married Isabella Whittaker in 1834 after first wife Margaret died).  Whilst my direct line is through Francis Whittaker Shaw(c1838 - 1887), one of his siblings had the middle name "Rutherford" so there was clearly a close connection to Rutherford family but I've not yet been able to work this out.  GW Shaw's father was George Shaw (c1765 - c1845) who married Margaret Warren (c1759 - 1835) and it is possible that his sister was Mary Shaw who married James Rutherford, with family including your George Shaw Rutherford.  But this would not make GS Rutherford the uncle to your GGGrandfather so I'm trying to see where the connection might be.  You also mention your GGGGrandfather Robert Shaw and his wife (your GGGGrandmother) Christian Carroll but how does that link to G S Rutherford work since I think that G S Rutherford married an Elizabeth Tilden (so not a Shaw) and FJ Shaw's father and mother are not Rutherfords.  All thoughts welcome!

Offline Twinshoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 10 June 21 15:54 BST (UK) »
Does anyone from this line of Rutherford - Manorhamilton, Leitrim - have their DNA on any of the websites?  I am T013505 on gedmatch.com and my father is T621117.  We are from the Rutherfords of Cootehill, Cavan, Ireland.  Would like to compare please.

Offline Heirloom

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Sunday 18 September 22 04:21 BST (UK) »
I don't match you,  but I do match your father at 5.2 cM (my Gedmatch number is  BP2045450). I am a 6th generation descendant from Robert Rutherford, who emigrated to Toronto (then York) in 1820. Various documents mention Manorhamilton, Killasnet, and Cornastauk (or Cornstaulk) as his place of origin, but I don't know the names of his parents. I also have a distant DNA match on Ancestry DNA  to a descendant of the Justus Rutherford from Killasnet, who settled in Southern Ontario in the early 1800's. They were likely close relatives to George Shaw Rutherford as well, based on the Manorhamilton location.