Author Topic: whats your reason?  (Read 10597 times)

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: whats your reason?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 03 February 05 21:10 GMT (UK) »
My husband & I decided to move to somewhere neither of us had lived before (we're both from military parentage!). We trawled the country, sticking pins in maps and ended up in a small Somerset village (Bradford on Tone).

We arranged to get married in the picturesque village church and after going to chat to the vicar, stopped to read the war memorial at the church gates. We found two people with my husband's surname!

After much questioning of soon-to-be in-laws, it turns out it was my father-in-laws Grandfather and his brother! My father-in-law left home at 15 and hadn't had anything to do with his family, when we said where we were moving to he hadn't thought to tell us the connection as he didn't think we'd be interested in the little he knew of his family .

That set me off.....little miss nosey  ;D

Since then I've been addicted.......and now so is my father-in-law!

Tabitha
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 04 February 05 01:44 GMT (UK) »
I grew up with a  very small family around me. I always longed for an older sibling or some close cousins around. I had cousins but they were living too far away.

My reason stemmed out of curiosity  with my Irish side  I suppose. My mum, and her family are Irish, who moved to Britain when my mum was a young girl. She and my grandparents  would talk about so and so back in Ireland  ( big family), none which I ever met except for the immediate family. And I longed for a big family

For years before my grandmother died I asked my mum to sit down with my gran and write out a family tree, because I wanted to know more about the family I never met.
She never did get around to it, and predictably my grandmother died.

Years later I got talking to someone who was tracing their tree, and it sparked up my curiosity again . I decided to trace my father’s side ( and not my mum’s side, as  that seemed too difficult ,and thought that my father’s  side would be “easy” ( I wish! lol ).

Then It was all downhill from there on – I’m hooked :D .

I suppose it’s a mixture of many things, History, which I love, the challenge in solving something, and finding out who were these people are that I never knew, and  am here on this earth because of them.

Some people in the lines I’m getting attached to, as if I knew them, others I’m not for some odd reason.
 My fav is my GG grandmother and her family, Gwenllian Roberts. I would have loved to have met this lady, she seemed such a strong character. Apparently she told my grandmother(who’s family were English speaking)  who married her son, to speak welsh as they were in her country now, needless to say they didn't get on with each other at all. Gwenllian absolutely refused to speak English right up into her final years of life .

she also apparently used to help out all the very poor old women in the village ( although she was poor herself, and by this time she was a very  old dear herself), She was a giver , never took from anyone herself. Funny thing before I even knew of her character ( which was told to me by my dad, who can just about remember her as a very old lady)  - I was getting attached to this person tracing her through the censuses, and when I was  told  later on about her strong willed  character, it did not surprise me in the least.

I also get attached to some of my husbands lot, and they are no blood relations of mine of course. I love his “crim” line .One of them apparently got arrested for beating someone up and holding them hostage in the 1700’s . Then further down the tree ( same line) every census that they were in ( moved 5 times as well, father and son went through a couple of wives too) they were living next door to a pub lol . The best was when one of them ( by this time he was in his late 70’s) , was lodging with his daughter and her husband next door to  yet another a pub ,which was owned by the husbands brother. I guess he saw his opportunity for a free pint when his daughter had a brother in law with a pub  .  None of the blood family were pub owners, they just liked to live next door to them all the time. I  think it’s safe to say this family liked a  good pint lol. ;D

I suppose the main big  reason for me is I enjoy it.

:)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 04 February 05 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Quote from Nick Carver following:

Marie

It is exactly for this reason that I have been trying to persuade my wife to extract as much information as possible from her very elderly great aunts before it is too late. Long before I got into genealogy, I overheard them gossiping at a wedding about a mutual ancestor (perhaps two generations earlier than they were) who had incurred the displeasure of her family by 'marrying beneath herself'. It is this sort of information that would be incredibly difficult to dig up simply by researching parish registers and the like,

Nick,

This is so true, as I'm finding out!  There is some kind of big mystery surrounding my g-g-grandfather's life and death, and as you say, official records just don't give you this information!  I can make all kinds of wild guesses, but I don't know which, if any, is right.  Had I asked my dad and this particular aunt before they left us, I'm sure they would have been able to tell me something, even if it is a real skeleton in the closet!  I join you in urging everyone to talk to their oldies while they are still with us.  My experience is that most family members will talk to you about their ancestry - most are pleased to do this.

Marie
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Reyz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 04 February 05 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My late paternal Grandmother was brought up in a home in London from the age of one.  Though she asked the Home many times, she was not allowed to know anything about her family, except they were Londoners.   Despite she had a happy life  :) and formed a life long bond with her Foster Parents of five years.
Unfortunately Gran met a tragic death in the early 70's and so with that and her unknown beginning I decided to try and found out about her family.  Started 23 years ago but did not get far so put it out of mind.  Four years ago read an article about researching your family history with the help of the Internet .... 
I still have not found out what happened to Great Grandmother, but traced her siblings and some of their family.   Also researched the other side of the family and met nice people round the World so not all in vain.   :)
Reyz
Essex  :  Lodge Wheal
London UK : Bird Bogg (Lightermen) Brittle, Chamberlane. Perry Spencer.
Forest of Dean Gloucestershire  :  Smith.
Herefordshire : Hope  Price  Protheroe
Somerset  :  Hughes  Lippiatt
South Wales UK :  Blaenavon and Brynmawr -  Hughes Smith
Merthyr Tydfil : Hope  Lloyd  Long Protheroe 
Census information is Crown Copyright from  www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Reyz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My late paternal Grandmother was brought up in a home in London from the age of one.  Though she asked the Home many times, she was not allowed to know anything about her family, except they were Londoners.   Despite she had a happy life  :) and formed a life long bond with her Foster Parents of five years.
Unfortunately Gran met a tragic death in the early 70's and so with that and her unknown beginning I decided to try and found out about her family.  Started 23 years ago but did not get far so put it out of mind.  Four years ago read an article about researching your family history with the help of the Internet .... 
I still have not found out what happened to Great Grandmother, but traced her siblings and some of their family.   Also researched the other side of the family and met nice people round the World so not all in vain.   :)
Reyz
   Found after 16 years of searching!

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Reyz, just shows that persistence does sometimes pay off!  How did you break down the brick wall?

Kind regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reyz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thank You GS  :)
After trying all the usual ways and others found no trace. nothing. Found most of her Family.
I finally sent off for a Death Certificate for her young Nephew. The reason being his Father was a Publican and thought there might be an address of a Pub that could help.
Not holding much hope.  Great Grandmother was the informant of the Death!  She had crossed through her maiden name and put the surname of her common-law Husband.
Turns out a couple of years after putting my Grandmother in the Home she took up with a married man and had another daughter!  The daughters birth was not registered. Never Married.

1901 Census no sign of her and the 2nd daughter and the Father still with his Wife and Children.
 On the 1911 Census is with her 2nd daughter and the Father but put a different Christian name and knocked 6 years off her age.  Place of birth correct though :)
 I had come across the 2nd daughter several times before but could not link her to the Family.  Had I checked all through the Electoral Register years I would have found my Great Grandmother living with her. 

Sorry a bit long winded but it might help someone. 
regards Reyz :)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
I was a history nut from the age of at least seven, which is around the age I started shining lights in my great-grandmother's eyes and interrogating her about her parents.  After years of doing my family history, I did a BA in history at Birkbeck College (in the evenings, whilst working full time in the day) and loved every minute of it.  But I can remember even at Birkbeck, being laughed at by at least one other student for expressing an interest in social history.  Seems some people don't think the history of ordinary daily life is really respectable - it has to be just military, political and economic history, nothing else.

I've had that, being told it's not proper history.

I've always been fasincated by history.  I originally started to try and discover if I belonged anywhere as I'd spent my childhood being told I wasn't welcome, go back where you came from etc.  But the fascination took hold, who were my ancestors, what did they do, what was their life like, did they have any impact on world events, how did world events impact on them and so on.  So 18 years later still at it.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Reyz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
Thank You GS  :)
After trying all the usual ways and others, found no trace of GGM. Found most of her Family but not with any of them. No distant cousins I found had heard of her.
I finally sent off for a Death Certificate for her young Nephew. The reason being his Father was a Publican and thought there might be an address of a Pub that could help.
Not holding much hope. 
Success!! my Great Grandmother was the informant of the Death!  She had crossed through her maiden name and put the surname of her common-law Husband.
Turns out a couple of years after putting my Grandmother in the Home she took up with a married man and had another daughter!  The daughters birth was not registered. Never Married.

1901 Census no sign of her and the 2nd daughter and the Father was with his Wife and Children.
 On the 1911 Census  She is with her 2nd daughter and the Father but put a different Christian name and knocked 6 years off her age.  Place of birth correct though :)
 I had come across the 2nd daughter several times before but could not link her to the Family.  Had I checked all through the Electoral Register years, I would have found my Great Grandmother living with her. 

Sorry a bit long winded but it might help someone. 
regards Reyz :)