Author Topic: whats your reason?  (Read 10583 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: whats your reason?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 05:51 GMT (UK) »
One of my cousins decided to research a little known part of the family, and casting around for allies, picked on me!  Once I got into it and found various intriguing little mysteries, I was hooked!  I love wrestling with mysteries and trying to solve them.  Of course we have had some success but found a lot more mysteries!  I don't know whether to thank or curse my cousin - I've had a lot of fun (and a lot of frustration!) but I used to have some spare time once!!  (Sigh!)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline r973g

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my profile yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Just (originally) to lay the ghost of a family legend that my g'g'g'father had been cheated out of inheriting an estate, all he got was £10.
Ray
Greenaway
Greenway
Griggs-Essex & Kent
March-E. Anglia
Morley-Norfolk & Suffolk

Offline chrissiepoos

• RootsChat Member
  • Born in England, but now an Aussie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 07:41 GMT (UK) »
I started searching my family history as we wondered if we had any spanish ancestors,as my brother has dark hair and darkish skin,compaired to my brother and myself,  my great grandparents were from Cornwall and Mum said that the Spanish envaded Cornwall years ago, not sure when,anyway haven't found anything yet on that side of the family, but thought I had when our great grandmother on the other side of the family had a Arabic name on the 1881 census and I thought that was the answer but it turned out to be a spelling mistake, her name was Hannah, never mind I have had great fun and have got in touch with some distant family members.
Pallants from Aldeburgh Suffolk
Earles from Cornwall
Seldons from Cornwall
Hammonds from Cambridge
Turners from Chertsey

Offline smokey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 08:54 GMT (UK) »
My intrest was sparked years ago by stories my father told me of his life as a delivery boy for the family grocery business in somewhere called Parsons Green in the 1930S.
The vision of him struggling around on this huge bike with a basket stayed with me. A life time in the Navy prevented any resarch but a few months ago I thought why not and I have had lots of fun.

Smokey

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 09:33 GMT (UK) »
My dad had often expressed an interest in tracing the family tree and I brought him a book to start filling in. We both have a love of history

He died six years ago and I inherited the book (although he hadn't filled a lot of it in). I then started to pick my mums brains a bit about the family but let it drop again (I didn't have access to the Internet or the spare time to go up the archive office)

Following the death of my mum last year and the birth of my only nephew I decided to get my finger out and do something about it

Now my only regret is that I didn't do this years ago they would have both loved to know what I have discovered about the family

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 10:33 GMT (UK) »
My dad lost his own father when he was 12 and his mother took him away from where he grew up to where she grew up. As a result, he knew nothing about his family other than the names of some of his uncles and aunts and two or three cousins. I transcribed our parish records with a view to raising some money helping out genealogists and after finishing that decided it would be nice to know about my own background.

Does anyone else share my experience that whilst young, the only thing that matters is the future and dreams of what you are going to do with your life dominate? As you grow older and have a family of your own and parents start to pass away, the past becomes much more important. Just curious.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 10:40 GMT (UK) »
People are always asking if my surname (McIlduff) was Scottish or Irish.  My dad's Scottish but his dad was born in Ireland so wanted to find out where the name came from.  When I hit a brick wall with McIlduff I decided to try my mums side.  She never got on with her mum and so we had no contact with that side of the family and I wanted to just find out about the relatives I never knew. 
From something that started out as just 'curiosity' it has now become an obsession  ;D

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Olly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 11:07 GMT (UK) »
 About 18 months ago my daughter was asking about her grandparents (my parents) because she doesn't remember anything about them.
Hardly suprising! - she was 4 weeks when my dad died and 11 and a half months when my mother died. (She's 27 today!)

This got me thinking and I realised that I knew absolutely nothing, other than a surname about my own maternal granddad hence the start of my research.

And I'm totally addicted!!!!!
Bulmer Draper - Lincoln, Glasgow, Aylesbury
Bulmer - York
Draper,Keogh- Lincolnshire, Middlesex, Liverpool, Ireland
Lowe, Massey - Liverpool
Lowe - Australia
Jones, Owens - Anglesey, Liverpool
Collinson - Middlesex,Birmingham,Liverpool

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 February 05 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Nick,

Yes, I really resonate with what you said - I think this is how it is for many of us.  I don't have children of my own, but I do have a lot of nephews and nieces, and as you say, as the oldies start to pass away you do a lot of thinking about the family and about where we have come from.

I am just sorry that I didn't start before my dad and one particular aunt died.  They would probably have had answers to some of my questions, and ways of banging holes in some of the brick walls!!!!

Still, better late than never.  I too am totally addicted!

MarieC

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland