Author Topic: whats your reason?  (Read 10581 times)

Offline blinky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
whats your reason?
« on: Tuesday 01 February 05 17:33 GMT (UK) »
just wondering what everyones reason is for researching their family history is.mine is because my dad knew nothing of his family,i have since found out that we had family living five miles away.
haines and hunt in wiltshire,gloucester,swindon.
neville in gloucestershire.
dixon in wiltshire.

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: whats your reason?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 17:39 GMT (UK) »
My need to find out about my ancestry began when I began my own family. I too come from a family (maternal & Paternal) where there is no knowledge of our ancestry & I wanted to change that.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm curious ..... especially when I'm told I shouldn't be asking about something

Offline Pollynation

• RootsChat Senior
  • The picture that started it all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I was brought up by my maternal grandmother. When she died i found a "treasure chest".
It was a case full of BMD's and burial information. Alot of whom i had never heard of. I then started asking questions and it followed on from there.

Also like Falkyrn said "I'm curious"
Best wishes
Pauline
Atkinson/Mountney/Gardner/Mellor/Finch/Higham-Lancashire
Cooper/Price-Shropshire
Lund/Foster/Wilkinson/Crawforth-Yorkshire
Calvert-Durham

Whoever said seek and ye shall find was NOT a genealogist.

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 18:27 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was never told who her parents were and was brought up by her 'grandparents' and 'aunts'.

She tried a few years before she died, to get a birth certificate, and was told that she was not registered at the then St Catherines House, and the church which was on her christening certificate had had a bad fire in 1970, so she just left it, thinking she wouldn't find out.

Then, my cousin from my dads side of the family started doing that side of the family tree, and that gave me the urge to start my mums side of the family's history.

Rebecca

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 18:47 GMT (UK) »
But surely by 1970 records dating from when your grandmother was born should already have been sent off long since to the Diocesan wossname, or to the County Record Office?   ???
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Well, you'd have thought so wouldn't you! Seeing as she was born in 1906!

Although it seems that this particular church had decided to keep its records  >:(

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Ours started because my husband thought he had a "made up" surname.  He always thought that their/our name should have been something slightly different.  He was right!  For reasons best known to themselves, my inlaws married in this contrived version of father in law's name and stuck to it!

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I was helping out a nice lady from New York once in the Family Records Centre, who was having a bit of trouble finding her Glucklich relations.  As I helped her look for them in the ledgers, I commented that glucklich was German for "happy".  She replied:  "Well they woin't, so they changed it!"  ;D

I wish I'd kept contact details for her!  :(

Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley