Author Topic: William KELLY Londonderry to Quebec 1909?  (Read 4299 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William KELLY Londonderry to Quebec 1909?
« on: Saturday 18 October 08 15:27 BST (UK) »
Friend just back from visit to Canada and I'm trying to find details of their relative.

William KELLY born 25 Apr.1882 Cah, Errigal, Londonderry, Ireland
son of David and Jane (McNeill) Kelly
1901- William Kelly age 18 living at Cah

William Kelly went to Canada (age 19 or age 27 according to descendants) landing in Quebec and heading west to Calgary area and then settling in Regina area. Two younger sisters Mary Ann Kelly (born 15 Mar.1888) and Margaret J./Maggie Kelly (born 1 Sept.1890) also went to Canada (possibly later than William).

Have looked on 1911 Canadian census and can't see a likely match for William but seems like he should be there somewhere. He wasn't married until c1918 and was a farmer or agricultural labourer so didn't serve in World War I.

Found one possiblity for a William KELLY going from Londonderry to Quebec in 1909. Can anyone get name of ship and exact date so I can start looking for details in passenger lists to see when he arrived in Canada?

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: William KELLY Londonderry to Quebec 1909?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 08 16:08 BST (UK) »
There is a William Kelly, born June 1882 in Ireland living in Red Deer, Alberta in the 1911.  He lists his year of immigration as 1903  :-\

District No. 5
Sub District 90
Alberta

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 08 16:15 BST (UK) »
There is a Margaret Kelly, single, age 35, born Ireland travelling to Canada, she is headed for her fiance Mr. R.W. Smythe, 4236 Fullerton Ave., Chicago, IL, she is a teacher, her father is listed as David Kelly, Caw, Carvaugh,  Co. Londonderry as her next of kin.

Arriving May 24, 1926 aboard the Baltic in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 October 08 16:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Karen. Made a note of that one but it doesn't quite fit so I'm not sure. Family said he went to Canada age 27 (c1909) except for one who said William told him he went age 19 (c1901).
The 1909 Londonderry to Quebec passenger record is the one I'm hoping to follow up for now but if it doesn't pan out then will have to start tracing more William Kellys!

Just had the above reply ready to post and your 2nd post appeared. You have found sister Margaret! Thank you so much. We get the feeling that sister Mary Ann might have gone out before Maggie as there's a photo somewhere of Maggie and 2 other sisters at home.

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 October 08 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

How about Glasgow to Quebec Jonian arived 13 oct 1907

William Kelly age 24, able to read & write, single, "British Bonus Allowed"; occupation farmer, Irish, final destination Quebec plus a note which reads something like - railway in Canada Mr Smart Party.

There is one in 1909 Liverpool to Quebec but he is married - can't see one from Londonderry

June

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 October 08 16:44 BST (UK) »
The one arriving in 1909 is a William Kelly, born 1882, "returning Canadian", originally coming in 1899, listed as a farmer and married.   This fellow is aboard the Lake Erie, arriving in Quebec 1909.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 October 08 18:46 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both. Thought William Kelly would be fairly easy to find (inspite of a common surname) but will have to check the passenger information you've given me and see if he's there somewhere.