Author Topic: Tenterden Parish Registers  (Read 22419 times)

Offline Geoff B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tenterden Parish Registers
« on: Tuesday 04 May 04 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Foxglove

Not sure wheher you can help on this one but I'm trying to establish who the parents of Charles Jeffery Judge born between Jan and June 1876 at Rolvenden (I believe is close to Tenterden). He subsequently married at Tenterden between October 1902 and March 1903.

My problem is that there were 2 Charles Judge's born in the same year and place and I can't, as yet, work out which one my Charles Jeffery is.

Many thanks

Geoff B

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re:Tenterden Parish Registers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 May 04 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
Just checked the 1881 Census and I see your two Judge families.

My best bet is with Alfred and Jane, since Jane was born at Tenterden.   I also see an aunt living with the family by the name of Hannah Gilbert - which is a family name that also appears at Tenterden.

I plan to go to the LDS library next week, if not sooner, and will let you know if I find anything.

Who did Charles marry?

Foxglove
Searching for BREEDS/BREADS, FARNDELL, JOY, DOBELL, FARMER, FRIEND, AUSTIN/AUSTEN, KENNARD, BRITCHER, WATERS, EAST, KIRBY in Kent and East Sussex,  also JENNINGS, BELL, COULTAS  in Yorkshire

Offline Geoff B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 04 06:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Foxglove, my Charles married Ellen Cecilia Hoare. She was born in 1882 at Faversham, Kent.

Don't spend too much time on this, if necessary I'll just have to send for his birth cetificate, it was just that your mention of Tenterden made me think there might be a slim chance of getting the information another way.

Regards

Geoff

Offline Dovedale

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 May 04 23:55 BST (UK) »
Looking for anything for Charles Pilcher b 1808 m Frances Witherden b 1808, would like parents names if i can. Also  Mrs McCaul nee Curteis, she had an Aunt Curteis in Woodside. Many thanks.

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 May 04 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Dovedale,
I found these at the Rolvenden Churchyard MI's:

193. Charles Simmonds PILCHER died 21 October 1863 aged 55. Alfred ……….. August 29 1875 aged 33 years. Arthur ……….. July 18, 1882 …… 32 years, sons of the above. Also Art …………. (perished).

194. Arthur Edwards 4th son of Charles Simonds and Frances PILCHER died 2 February 1850 aged 1 year and 9 months.

Also found the following at the Biddenden Churchyard MI's page:

138  Frances widow of Charles S. PILCHER of Rolvenden and daughter of Richard BEALE of River Hall in this parish. Born 10th June 1807, died 6th November 1887. Also near by Anna Louisa younger daughter of above, 25th April 1914 aged 71

If you go to:

www.kentarchaeology.org.uk

you can access the records for these churchyards.  You will find a few more of the Beale family members under the Biddenden churchyard records.

I believe this is likely the family you are looking for. Please let me know if you agree.  I will still have a look at the Tenterden parish registers for you.

Searching for BREEDS/BREADS, FARNDELL, JOY, DOBELL, FARMER, FRIEND, AUSTIN/AUSTEN, KENNARD, BRITCHER, WATERS, EAST, KIRBY in Kent and East Sussex,  also JENNINGS, BELL, COULTAS  in Yorkshire

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 May 04 16:17 BST (UK) »
Dovedale,
I realise that this Frances is not shown as a Beale and not as a Witherden, but there are also a lot of Witherdens at the Biddenden Churchyard - will have to take a closer look at these and see if this is the right Frances.
Will await your comments.

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 May 04 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Dovedale,

I found something interesting which shows an association between a Charles Pilcher, a Seaman Beale, and various members of the Curteis family. This may possibly have some connection with your interests.

The information came from the following address:

http://www.bodiam-mill.net/index.htm,

under "Deeds 1631-1814"

17 & 18 Apr 1840.  L. & R.  The Release between Henry Charles Atley of Great Casterton, Rutland, Gent; Sarah Curteis of Tenterden, spinster; & Seaman Beale of Tenterden, gent, Robert Curteis, younger, of Tenterden, gent, & George Curteis of Canterbury, gent. The property of Sarah Curteis to SB, RC, & GC in trust for herself upon her marriage to HC Atley.

22 Ap 1850.  Release by surviving trustees to Sarah Atlay (Curteis) of her property on the death of her husband HC Atlay

20 Jun 1834. Will of Robert Curteis (Brother in Law of Francis Tress) of Ashenden in Tenterden. His real estate to John Russell, George Curteis & Francis Tress Curteis, trustees.

16 Jan 1847. Will of Francis Tress Curteis of Southwark, Surrey. His real estate to John Curteis of Gordon Place, Middx, & George Herbert Curteis of University College, Oxford. Trustees.

25 Feb 1839. Deed. John Silverlock of London, tea dealer; Sarah Greenhill of Esher, Surrey, spinster; & Francis Tress Curteis, of Southwark, hop factor, & John Curteis of London, grocer. Marriage pending between J Silverlock & S Greenhill.

The property of SG in trust.

17 Apr 1844. Settlement. Caleb Rickman of Pimlico, Middx., gent.; Charlotte Greenhill of Worthing, Sussex, spinster; & John Padmore Noble of Regent Sq., London, gent., John Kingsford of Esher, gent, James Rickman, elder of Wandsworth, Surrey, gent, and James Rickman, younger, of Staines, Middx, gent. Marriage pending between CR & CG. CG's fifth share &c. to JPN, JK, JR, &JR into trust.

29 Sep 1844. Will of Stephen Greenhill of Worthing, gent. One fifth part to his children: Stephen, Mary, Elizabeth, & to Francis Tress Curteis & John Curteis. Testator died 10th Nov 1846. Will proved at Chichester, 16 Dec 1846.

12 Dec 1859. Grant. Stephen Greenhill of Sydney, NSW, gent.; to George Curteis of Canterbury, gent., & John Silverlock, of sixth share of various parts, for facilitating the sale of parts & shares, the property to GC & JS.

30 Nov 1842. Mortgage. William Curteis of Tenterden, gent & Ann his wife to John Neve of Tenterden, gent. For £2000: Release of half of a fourth share of Gate Court & 400a. in Northiam & Newenden, & 165a. of marshland in E, Guildford, Sussex; also Meriams Hill Farm, Shornden Farm & Sandhurst Green Farm, 120a. occupied by Thomas Cheeseman, in Sandhurst; Also Ives Farm, 30a., in Sandhurst, occupied by (blank) Stace; also 60a. woodland in Sandhurst; also the premises occupied by Samuel Ayerst in Northiam; also the Wharf land by the Rother in Northiam, occupied by Charles Pilcher; Also the premises in Tenterden occupied by Seaman Beale; also the premises occupied by (blank) Peake, widow, in Tenterden. Redemption for principal plus interest at 4 ½%.

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 May 04 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Dovedale,
Still a bit vague regarding "Frances Witherden/Charles Pilcher sister married a Curteis, a son b USA"

Any further details regarding first and/or last name of the sister, date of marriage, first name of Mr. Curteis,  etc.?

Offline Dovedale

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 May 04 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Foxglove, Many thanks for information,some we knew, some did'nt. Great site and excellent service, whish there were more like it.
Must have done something wrong with my posting in explainging about the family, new to this game.
Charles Richard Curteis b 1830 in USA, according to death cert,arrived in NZ 1853. Family story says he left UK when he was 22 yrs, changed his name and destroyed all his papers sometime before his daughter was born, 1888. Cannot find any trace on him any where.According to his letters, his birth date is13th June 1830. It is said that Frances Beale Pilcher daughter of Frances and Charles Pilcher was his sister, cannot prove this either.Always beleived to be related to the Pilcher's but don't know how !
F B Pilcher m Ernest Fitzroy Older,(fact) have contact with this line, some research was done years ago, thats where we got Witherden from, maybe wrong,Beale fits better.Have a glass plated photo of a Mrs McCaul ? ( not 100% sure of spelling) daughter of Aunt Curteis of Woodside, Tenterdon and Ia....iek ?realtive of Laura Curteis.Also name of  Photographers and number.
Hope you can follow all that. Thanks Dovedale.