Author Topic: Nottingham Skevingtons 1700's  (Read 4281 times)

Offline David Tyrrell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nottingham Skevingtons 1700's
« on: Saturday 18 October 08 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all, this is my first posting on Rootschat so if I tread on any toes or have listed this in the wrong place don't shoot me down in flames - must admit its not the easiest site to self teach how to use. Anyway I am looking for some rels and would appreciate hearing about anything connected with the Skevingtons in Nottingham from the 1700's or earlier.
I've done a lot of digging and 2 visits to the Records office and to date my tree stops at John S.  marrying Elizabeth Alvey in St Marys on 20th April 1772. His son was Joseph S. who married Frances Moore on 8th April 1799 in St Marys. Joseph moved to Loughborough in 1820 and despite this became a Burgess the same year (no fathers details on the Burgess register) to set up a lace factory. In 1808 he and his brother Samuel were probationers on the Methodist circuit and Josphs son John became quite famous (or infamous!) as a leading Chartist. In 1812 and 1816 Joseph and John are listed in the Watch and Ward lists and from the ages given John would have a birth year of 1752 making him about 20 when he married.

We have two possible lines for Johns parents - one possible grandfather is another Joseph who married Mary Hind at St Nicholas on 2nd Feb 1727 and who amongst their children had another John bapt on 22nd July 1736 - this would have been Johns father. We also have a Michael S who married Elizabeth Sills in St Nicholas on 23rd November 1748. We also have various other Skevington weddings in Nottingham  in the first half of the century which could be links.

If anyone out there has come across any Skevington information for 1750 and earlier and is happy to share it I would be delighted to hear from them as at the moment I have several pieces of the jigsaw but no proof that fits them together. Any hints as to other sources would also be welcome.

Sorry its been long winded but with all these Josephs and Johns it gets a bit complicated.

If only they'd kept diaries!! 

Offline SKy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham Skevingtons 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 March 09 09:38 GMT (UK) »
hi i have skevingtons in my family tree , and i  have them dating back to1652, they were sent to me by a kind  gent when our family trees crossed paths .please let me know if i can help you ,

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 09 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
First of all a big welcome to you both - I hope you both enjoy rootschat as much as I have over the past months since joining in Jan 2008. If you're stuck just yell - everyone is willing to help both with information, and getting used to the site - we all started at some time, and know what it feels like to be a bit overwhelmed by it all.
It looks as if SKy1 may be the answer to all your problems, but if not, I wondered if you'd had a chance to visit the Notts Archives (I suspect you have as you already seem to have done lots of research). There are lots of indexes there, and if you haven't been there I can tell you what they have, etc. They sound a fascinating family!
I'm looking for my husband's ancestors who lived in Nottingham, and I'm concentrating on the period between 1700 - 1750 at the moment, so I've got a few resources together to help with the search.
I've just looked to see if I could find any Skevington's on the Burgess list for the early part of the 1700s, but cannot find anything - what trade were they in?
Anyway, if SKy1 isn't able to help, then let me know.
Kind regards,
Paulene :)

SKy!,
I'm helping a gentleman at the moment, on rootschat, who is following a Dickenson/Dickinson line. It may be of interest to you:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,362592.0.html

Please, let me know if I can help either of you with rootschat :)
Have fun!

Offline SKy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 09 17:42 GMT (UK) »
many thanks for your welcome Pauline, i will have a look at the link you put up for me (
dickinsons)
and I'm sure at some point i shall be asking you for help, :)

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 09 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi SKy1,
If you need to ask me anything you can either ask on the post, or send me a personal message (PM). You do this by clicking on the little green scroll that is situated under my avator (photo of my mum). When you click a new page comes up with a message box, with my rootschat name - you just write your message in the box and send. Obviously the pm is more private, and details such as your name, etc can't be seen by anyone except the person receiving the message. Choose which ever way you feel more comfortable with; and which suits your needs best.
Bye for now,

Offline David Tyrrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 April 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi SKy1, thanks for your input but I think they might be a different line, as I've not seen any sign of Selston mentioned anywhere. Any info you want to share is welcome tho as I've found before in other lines of the family that sometimes seemingly unconnected info falls into place.

Paulene, thanks for your welcome and your suggestions. Ive been to the Notts County Records office twice and looked through many of its records. Fascinating place but its a 150 mile round trip so I don't fancy another visit unless I've got some more info to go on. Have also been to the Library.

Do either of you know whether St Mary's has any other records apart from whats in the Records Office. Samuel Skev became a prominent methodist minister in Nottingham (saw a photo of him in the records office) and wondered if there were any methodist rcords in the city.

David ???

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 09 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
In answer to your question about whether there are any methodist records in the Notts Archives - yes there are:
http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives/archivescollections/nonconformistregisters.htm
As far as St. Mary's is concerned, there may be some overseer's accounts - if you email the office I'm sure they will tell you what is available.
e-mail: archivesATnottscc.gov.uk * replace AT with @
Hope this helps.

Offline Dee 19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 April 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,im following my skevington line also and red skev i thunk we have the same line if you could get in touch regard

Offline David Tyrrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 April 19 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee, good to hear from you. Skevington was my mother's paternal line. Several years ago I got the line back to the early 1700's but have not done much in the last 4 or 5 years as I've been following other lines in an ever expanding family tree. Be interested to know where our trees cross/merge. David