Author Topic: Photographer in Broad St Deal - completed thank you  (Read 3616 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Photographer in Broad St Deal - completed thank you
« on: Sunday 19 October 08 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have looked at Directories on line without success so was hoping for a bit of local knowledge ???

Is anyone able to tell me when G. Brown & Son were trading as a photographer in Broad Street, Deal please. I have a photo taken from a glass negative and thought it might help narrow down the dates that the helpful people on photo restoration have suggested.

Many thanks
Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photographer in Broad St Deal
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 October 08 17:36 BST (UK) »
George BROWN, photographer, and his family were living at 7 Broad Street, Deal in the 1891 census RG12/738 folio 4 page 1.  He was also there in 1881 but not as early as 1871.  Unfortunately the 1901 census for Deal doesn't survive.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photographer in Broad St Deal - completed thank you
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 October 08 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi

Thank you very much for the info on George Brown  ;D     I hadn't thought about looking on census, not that I have access for most of them  ???     

Rosie

Offline Selsh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 17 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
I was pleased to find your post as I'm just back from a trip to Kent helping my sister in law to research our family history. George Brown and his son George Charles Brown are my direct ancestors, with George Charles being my great grandfather. George Brown started the business and was joined by his son. Later on they had a studio in Ramsgate as well.
We were in Deal last week and 7 Broad Street is still there and a cafe now, next to the modern library.

We have prints of a few of their photos, but I'd love to know the subject of the photograph that you have. Is it a landscape or of people? Thanks.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Selsh

Welcome to rootschat.

I hope your visit to Kent proved fruitful. :)  I visited Deal a couple of years ago, looking at the map we lunched at a micropub quite close to Broad Street.  As a child I stayed with my aunt & uncle in Walmer (he was a Royal Marine) so it was good to revisit.

Have you any idea when George Brown started the business.
The photo is on this link, it is a portrait which as you will see our brilliant restorers have cleaned up for me.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=335267.

Rosie

Offline Selsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
Thanks for the link to the photo of the lady. Lovely to see it.  :)

Yes we had a useful trip, but more work still to do. At the moment we don't know when George Brown started the business, only that the 1871 census shows him working on the railway.
George Charles his son was born in 1865, so he might have joined his father in about 1880. Unfortunately the 1881 census does not list George Charles' occupation.
We could maybe assume your photo could not be much before 1880

If we get any more information to help you date your photo, I'll let you know.

Selsh.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 06:13 BST (UK) »
The person I think that is in the photo was born in 1861 and married in 1884 so if the engagement ring 'theory' is correct it was probably taken shortly after the 1881 census. 

Rosie

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Im a researcher and writer of articles and books about the history of Tunbridge Wells Kent and can add some information about G. Brown & Son.

I have a CDV showing an image of a man and women noted on bottom by G. Brown & Son High Street, Tunbridge Wells and Broad Street, Deal. Not sure when taken as G. Brown & Son don't appear in any local directories for 1867,1874,1882,1899,1903 but were most likely in T.Wells in the 1880's.

A list of photographer operating in 1885 gave George Brown & Son 7 Broad Street, Deal but not listing of them in their other studios in Tunbridge Wells or Ramsgate.

I noticed that in the 1891 census at Deal that George Brown was a photographer and that his son William James Brown was assisting in the business.So I believe the beginning of the use of the name G. Brown & Son pertained to George senior and his son William and not his younger son George Charles.

I did note that George Charles Brown married 4th qtr 1888 in Deal Mary Elizabeth Kemp and that in the 1891 census he was at 36 High St, Margate as a photographer employer with his wife Mary Elizabeth; two of their children and his mother in law Sophia Kemp. The 1901 census had George Charles Brown as a photographer at 36 High St. Ramsgate. With him was his wife Mary Elizabeth and two children Reginald and Dorothy. The 1911 census had George Charles Kent as a photographer at 35 High St, Ramsgate with wife Mary Elizabeth (assisting in business)and son Reginald Charles anda nephew Arthur Robert Brown born 1901 in Margate. George Charles Brown died according to probate records Nov. 7,1934 at the Plaza Cinema in Deal. His wife Mary Elizabeth was the executor. Probate records for Mary Elizabeth Brown gave her as a widow when she died October 8,1951 at the Lumeah Nursing Home in Deal,. Her son Reginald Charles Brown was the executor.

I have not been able to find a marriage record of George Brown to Mary Alice. Census records gave her born 1845 in Saltwood, Kent. The 1911 census gave George Brown, born 1843 Woodchurch, Ketn a photographer employer. With him was his wife Mary Alice Brown. The census noted they were married 47 years (1864) and had 9 children but only six living. Can someone fine the marriage record for George and his wife please? 

Im still trying to find out who George's parents and siblings were-anyone know. Cant find a 1861 census for him. Did find a 1851 census for George given as born 1843 in Woodchurch living at Warerhorne,Kent in East Ashford with parents James Brown (1816-1899) a barn thatcher, and his wife Celia (given as Selah)who was Celia Swaffer (1823-1901) born in Woodchurch. Not sure if this is the right George Brown however. If a marriage record for him can be found perhaps it will confirm who his father was.

Im also looking for a photo "of" not "by" George Brown and any of his family members. Can anyone help with this as I noted in other replies that one of you is a grandchild of George.

Offline Selsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 June 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, interesting that someone else is looking at my family history!
Reginald Charles Brown was my grandfather, but it's my sister in law that is doing the research and it's not complete yet. Certainly a lot of the names you give ring bells with me. We are pretty certain that George Brown's parents are as you noted, but the next bit of research is yet to be done. My sister in law was waiting for some rainy days to get on with it.
My father remembers going to the cinema in Deal where his grandfather, George Charles, was the manager.

I'll let her know about your information.
We do have a wonderful studio photo of 4 generations of the Brown family men, so I'll ask her about getting a copy to you.