Author Topic: PRYCE & EVANS - Welshpool  (Read 4271 times)

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
PRYCE & EVANS - Welshpool
« on: Tuesday 01 February 05 20:16 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandparents, John PRYCE (b. 1836), gardener, and Sarah EVANS (b. 1832) were married in the Independent Chapel at Welshpool on 19 Mar 1857.   Their marriage certificate shows their fathers were Evan PRYCE (Gardener) and Samuel EVANS (Weaver) - both deceased. 

John and Sarah had two children born in Welshpool - Harriet (1859) and Graham (1860).  By 1863 the family had moved to Great Crosby, Lancashire, where they had five more sons.

I would appreciate it if someone could look up the families of Evan PRYCE and Samuel EVANS on the 1851 Montgomeryshire Census, and also John PRYCE's family on the 1861 Census.  I believe they all lived in or near Welshpool.

Thanks a lot! 
Travis, Earnshaw, Wild, Hibbert, Warren, Leech - Ashton-under-Lyne
Mills, Fallows - Middleton
Pryce, Evans - Welshpool, Mgy, Wales
Davies - Criggion, Shropshire
Whittaker, Evans, Benussi - Liverpool
Price, Whittaker - Great Crosby
Atherton - Frodsham, Cheshire
Riley - Huddersfield area, Yorkshire

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: PRYCE & EVANS - Welshpool
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Arkay,

I'm having a bit of trouble locating your families, especially in the 1851 census - I'm still searching.

However, you say that John and Sarah had 2 children born in Welshpool - Harriet 1859 and Graham 1860.  I have looked at 1861 and found no Harriet's or Graham's, which is strange ???  I was hoping that if I found them it would lead me to John.

Anyway, I'm off to have another look and see what I can find.

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 05 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Thanks very much for checking for me.

Yes, Harriet and Graham were both born in Welshpool, according to North Wales BMD, but if they're not in the 1861 Census, it might mean the family moved to Lancashire right after Graham's birth, darn it!  But then... they might show up on the 1861 Great Crosby Census.  I'll have to try that.

I do hope you can find something on John PRYCE's and Sarah EVANS's families in the 1851 Census, though.  Perhaps they lived in a nearby town?  Since they were gardeners and weavers, you wouldn't think they'd move a lot! 

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

arkay

Travis, Earnshaw, Wild, Hibbert, Warren, Leech - Ashton-under-Lyne
Mills, Fallows - Middleton
Pryce, Evans - Welshpool, Mgy, Wales
Davies - Criggion, Shropshire
Whittaker, Evans, Benussi - Liverpool
Price, Whittaker - Great Crosby
Atherton - Frodsham, Cheshire
Riley - Huddersfield area, Yorkshire

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 February 05 07:51 GMT (UK) »
From 1851:-

PRYCE, Evan, h, m, 64, shoemaker, MGY Bettws, Spout House, /f55/p8
PRYCE, Evan, h, w, 54, labourer, MGY Welshpool, Norfolk Place, /f673/p9

PRYCE, Evan, h, m, 34, ag. lab., MGY Llanfair, Caethle, /f10/p12
PRYCE, Evan, h, m, 48, farmer of 34 acres, MGY Berriew, Lower Glascoed, /f9/p10

These are the only Evan Pryce in 1851 who are Head of family, married/widowed.  The others listed are too young and unmarried.

EVANS, Samuel, h, m, 42, malsters lab, MGY Town, Malthouse Cottage, /f106/p30
EVANS, Samuel, h, m, 60, hairdresser, SAL Chirbury, Berriew Street, /f684/p31

EVANS, Samuel, h, m, 47, sawyer, MER Llandrillo , Square, /f734/p5
EVANS, Samuel , h , u , 42 , draper grocer , CAE Bangor, 15 Broad St , /f41/p22

EVANS Samuel, h, m, 61, Weaver, MGY Aberhafesp, Pool Road, /f235/p7
EVANS Samuel, h, u, 50, Solicitor, MGY Llanfair, Vron Cottage, /f281/p1

I've done the same for Samuel Evans.

Let me know if you want the full details of any of the entries.

Just a thought - you say on the marriage certificate that the fathers were both deceased.  If they were deceased in 1851, then the next step would be find out the mother's names as they will obviously be the Head of the families.  You will have to look at the parish records for that!

Do you know if either John or Sarah had any siblings?  I could search for them in 1851 which may lead to finding the families.

Jan :)

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand