Author Topic: First Ballantyne from Scotland*completed*  (Read 22861 times)

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: First Ballantyne from Scotland*completed*
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 February 09 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I presume your George Henry Ballantyne is the same one who came out to NZ in 1860.  His mother was Jessie Douglas who died as they came up the harbour into Dunedin, leaving father, John Douglas FRANCIS Ballantyne a widow for the second time with 9 children.    I cannot tell you much about what happened to George after they arrived in NZ.  Michelle would know more about that branch of the family, but I can fill you in on the family before they came to NZ, if that is of interest to you.  If you would like to know more on the earlier history of the family, please reply on this website and I will  provide the details. 
Regards, Ngaio

Offline Tanekaha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle & Ngaio,
Sorry about the delay in replying. I am just working out how to use this site and also reading some of the previous discussion.
Yes I believe this is the same George Henry Ballantyne. I would be very interested in the earlier family history!
I have his parents as Francis Ballantyne and Janet Douglas. (Janet = Jessie? I did not know the story of her death)
In NZ he married Mary Ellen Norman and they had 7 Children :- Mary Ann; William Henry; Bertram Francis; Arthur Norman; Emily Fanny; Frederick George and Grace Helen. Mary Ann is my grandmother. She married Frederick Henry Ernest Collings on 14 July 1909 in Wanaka (then known as Pembroke) Central Otago NZ. (I have quite a lot of NZ family info but no Scotland)
Michelle - can you tell me which of George Henry's children you are descended from?
Regards
Tanekaha
Sorry Ngaio - I see now you are connected through Mary Ann - John Douglas Francis Ballantyne's daughter with his first wife Margaret Archibald

Offline myshell007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tanekaha,

My link to  George Ballantyne is as follows,  his son Arthur who married Mary Eleanor Jewiss, their daughter Hazel who married Daniel David Miller Andrews then divorced and moved to Australia, her daughter Pamela , Michelle.

I have a little info on your line from that booklet that was produced in the 80's about the Normans. (do you know of this book).

I would love to find out more about the Ballantynes, and associated families.

Michelle

Offline russell ballantyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 January 11 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Ngaio
i have restarted this journey since i buried my fathers ashes( Garth Vivian- son of Albert) with his grandfather John Ballantyne son of Francis at waikaka about two weeks ago.  I just passed through crookston and visited Francis's grave - tho no headstone but i have heard there are plans afoot to place one there - i am interested in the information that you have on Francis's family and prior - would love to know more

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 January 11 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Russell
I presume that  the John Ballanatyne  you are related to is   the second child of John Douglas Francis Ballantyne and  Margaret Francis Archibald.   This John was the second child born in Ulston on 15/10/1842.    If  it is,  what information do you want?    You may already have quite a lot and I don't want to duplicate.     We  know  John Douglas Francis's  background  as far back as his grandfather and grandmother,  Francis Ballantyne and Margaret Robson.   Please let me know  and  maybe  we can communicate some other way.    There is a lot of information about our Ballantyne heritage.   

Have you met my sister, Beverly Russell?   Some family members, including us, are trying to organise a headstone for John Douglas Francis Ballantyne at Crookstone Cemetery. 

Looking forward to hearing from you
Ngaio

Offline russell ballantyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 January 11 01:58 GMT (UK) »
hi Ngaio
thanks for your speedy reply
yes it is the second child of francis -- i dont have much info at all about francis nor his parents so any information would be useful as well as his siblings.  No i havent met beverly Russell - what help is needed re the headstone ? i would like to help in any way - would be good to catch up

Russell

Offline Floyete22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 February 11 22:04 GMT (UK) »
[My name is Cynthia Ansbacher. I live in Crookston, Mn. My Mother had a friend killed in 1935 by an elephant. My mother was only 4 and never remembered her friends name. Since my Mother has passed, I found her friends name is likely Margaret Anne Francis. If you have any details on her short life that would be sweet. E-mail is (*). Thank you. It really seemed to affect her.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Tanya Patrick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 05 December 15 00:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a great Grandmother x8 Euffam Ballantyne born abt 1710 whose immediate family are in Dorset, Shaftsbury and Wimbourne Minster I have read two wills and I can not find any origin information at all on her parents, Thomas Ballantyne (in his will recorded as a salesman) and Jone, and her two uncles Robert, and John. Her mother is just listed as Jone. Euffam`s sister Jane did marry a William Little of Wimbourne Minster and his niece Ann Little, married Walter Beaty from a Scottish family in Dumfries.
Euffams siblings were Andrew, John, Helen, Elinor, Jane, James, Martha and Thomas, all of St Peters Shaftsbury. Though Effam married Thomas Scammell in Melbury Abbas he was from Tisbury Wiltshire.
Her uncle John Ballantyne has three children in Wimbourne Minster, Thomas, Andrew and Hellen. Euffams own children are recorded as being connected to presbyterian churches in Warminster later so I am assuming that these Ballantynes at some point came from Scotland?.
I don`t suppose anyone here has any inkling of these people?
The only nearby possible connection locally I have found is a Jane Barclay Ballentyne married to a Reverend David Hogarth a Scottish Man in Portland Dorset. I know she is connected to the Kelso line and the printers John, James and Alexander. How that ties in with my Dorset people I do not know. But the same Christian names do keep occurring. I have traced Jane Barclay Ballantyne back to a John and Jane Barclay in Kelso trying to see if there`s someone I could fit to but too many people with the same names to go any further. Can anyone help at all?

Offline Dori99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 21 August 19 10:04 BST (UK) »
Euphemia Ballantyne is also a great grandmother of mine.  I found a woman of that name born in Stow, Midlothian to a Jenet Broun and Thomas Ballantine on 21 Aug 1714.  I have been pondering the Dorset link.  I've just joined this site so I can reply.  Otherwise I'd have sent a PM.