Author Topic: First Ballantyne from Scotland*completed*  (Read 22801 times)

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: First Ballantyne from Scotland*completed*
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 23:27 GMT (UK) »
George Henry Ballantyne  was second son of Jessie Douglas who was the second wife of John Douglas Francis Ballantyne (called Francis).  John Douglas Francis Ballantyne married three times, firstly to Margaret Francis Archibald in approx 1838/39.
Their children were
Jessie born in Ulston 1840
John  born Ulston 15/10/1842
James Archibald  born in Hobkirk  1847
Mary  born in Hobkirk in 1845
Margaret  born Ashkirk in 1850
Mary Ann born in Ashkirk 25/9/1852    (my connection)

Margaret Francis Archibald died in Ashkirk in 1852 and  John Married  Jessie Douglas on 1/5/1857.
Obviously they had had their first child in 1855, namely Thomas Scott .  Incidentally Thomas Scott Ballantyne must have been named after Captain Thomas Scott who John Douglas Francis Ballantyne worked for  at Ashkirk and then at Bengerburn.  There is quite a story about Captain Thomas Scott who married John Douglas Francis Ballantyne's sister Margaret in 1856.

Other children  by Jessie Douglas were
George
Isabella
Sadly  Jessie Douglas  who was born in New Castleton, died on board ship as they were travelling up the estuary  to Dunedin harbour. 
John  married  thirdly  Elizabeth Aitcheson  born Bannockburn in about 1836. Their children were
Agnes  born Dunedin 1864
Frank  born Dunedin 1866
Simon born Dunedin 1868
William born Dunedin 1870

John Douglas Francis Ballantyne farmed around Dunedin all his life but died at his son's home  in Dunrobin, Otago, NZ on 12/9/1901 and is buried  at Crookson Cemetary.

John Douglas Francis Ballantyne's parents were   John Ballantyne  and Mary Miller who were married about 1810/11.   John Ballantyne's  parents were   Francis Ballantyne and Margaret Robson.   

Have more information if you are interested.
I presume you live in NZ as I do  so maybe we could make more direct contact
Ngaio

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am looking for the family of George Henry Ballantyne b Yarrow Scotland
24 August 1855, I have had no luck on Ancestory. and hoped somewhere out there would know this family./quote]

Further to my last message, I forgot to mention that John Douglas Francis Ballantyne and Jessie Douglas  emigrated to Dunedin, New Zealand, together with all their children to that date, on the Henrietta  - the voyage taking from 30 May to 24 September 1860.   He is recorded  as  Assisted Emigrants with wife, 4 sons and 5 daughters. 

Ngaio

Offline myshell007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 November 08 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Ngaio, 

Our documentation differs slightly, I have George first in 1855, to Jannet then

Isabel             1857
Thomas Scott 1859  both to Jessie.

Is there something I am Missing. ???

Plus there are two threads going here this  one and      Re: Francis Ballantyne Mysetry.

There  were two Francis Ballantynes to parents John Ballantyne and Mary Miller.  The first Francis was born about 1814  and the second was actually John Douglas Francis Ballantyne born about 1819 in Castleton. He died in New Zealalnd  and is buried at Crookson Cemetary (died on 24/9/1901) - quote from the other thread.

I did presume that there was one Francis who was born in 1814, and not two.  I only have a birth record for one, and looked on the IGI to verify this one.  There are a lot of Ballantyne names on the IGI, did  miss this one.

I am in AUS but just about in the same time sphere, more direct contact may be better.

Michelle

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 November 08 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Ngaio, 

Our documentation differs slightly, I have George first in 1855, to Jannet then

Isabel             1857
Thomas Scott 1859  both to Jessie.

Is there something I am Missing. ???

Plus there are two threads going here this  one and      Re: Francis Ballantyne Mysetry.

There  were two Francis Ballantynes to parents John Ballantyne and Mary Miller.  The first Francis was born about 1814  and the second was actually John Douglas Francis Ballantyne born about 1819 in Castleton. He died in New Zealalnd  and is buried at Crookson Cemetary (died on 24/9/1901) - quote from the other thread.

I did presume that there was one Francis who was born in 1814, and not two.  I only have a birth record for one, and looked on the IGI to verify this one.  There are a lot of Ballantyne names on the IGI, did  miss this one.

I am in AUS but just about in the same time sphere, more direct contact may be better.

Michelle
Hi Michelle

Sorry  about getting the birth date order of the three children mixed up.   You are  right. 
The Francis  name is a bit confusing.   I am not sure why our John Douglas Francis Ballantyne  called himself Francis  but in NZ anyway he was always known as Francis.   Going by his death records he was born about 1819.   

Incidentally our records  say that Jessie Douglas  was a 2nd cousin to John Douglas Francis Ballantyne but we are unable to find out which side of the family  she comes from. 

Our records go back another two generations  from John Douglas Francis Ballantyne if you are interested. 
Maybe you could email me  direct   at

Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

I would be interested to know  what happened to George as we don't know very much about this family as our connection is from the youngest daughter of the first family.
Ngaio

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 November 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry   email address should have  an x in  (*)    I should check my writing  before sending. 
 Ngaio

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline myshell007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 November 08 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi ngaio

email no did not get through the security,  I sent a test one to what I thought it was, have you received one yet.
Michelle  :(

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 November 08 18:48 GMT (UK) »
No Michelle,   haven't received any email from you direct.   Security must be very good on this site.     I wonder if posting an address would work.   Here goes.  My  address is  (*) If this works, you could post  me your email address. 
Ngaio

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 November 08 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to intervene but neither e-mails or addresses should be put on a public board in your own interest.

It might be better to personal message (PM) each other to exchange personal information. This can be done by clicking on the green scroll underneath a person's avatar/details on the left of the message.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Tanekaha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 February 09 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle,
Can I ask about your interest in George Henry Ballantyne. He was my Great Grandfather & father of my grandmother Mary Ann. They lived in Wanaka Central Otago NZ. I would be keen to fill some gaps in my info
Regards
Tanekaha