Author Topic: 25th Foot in Dundee?  (Read 3903 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 25th Foot in Dundee?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruby

In the 1862 Army List (compiled at the end of 1861) their Depot was in Pembroke and the battalion were in Aldershot. I think they spent 1863 in Aldershot as well. Before 1881 they only had one battalion and their nominal name was the South Gloucestershires. I don't have another Army List until the early 1880s.

Ken

Offline rubyrose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum - thanks to RC Restorers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 October 08 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie and Ken

Many thanks for this information - its a bit of a strange one. This is the information I have:

1861 George Morrison is in the Raglan Barracks Married Men's Quarters in Stoke Demerel, Devonport with his wife Margaret Tracy who is from Cork.

Between 1869 and 1872 he is in the Dundee Directories with an occupation of Drill Instructor, Drill Hall and lives at 3 Mid Street in Dundee.

In the 1871 census he is still living at 3 Mid Street in the St Clement district of Dundee with his wife and two sons, one born in England about 1861 and one born in Dundee 1867. His occupation is given as volunteer instructor.

In 1879 his death certificate, age 52, says he was a Sergeant with the 61st Foot.

I wonder if the registrar made a mistake on the death certificate - is it strange for a Scottish man to be in a Gloucestershire regiment? Also it looks, from the link you sent to me Annie, that the Gloucesters were in India for a very long time, from 1845 until 1860. I can't find a marriage record for him.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Ruby

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER - Lancashire, Cheshire, BUCHANAN - Glasgow, Lancashire, LAWRENCE - Jamaica, Lancashire, JONES - Shropshire, Lancashire, SHAWCROSS - Lancashire, India,  MONTAGU - Lancashire, America, MORRISON - Fife, Lancashire, SEDDON DUTTON HESKETH  - Lancashire, WHITEHEAD - Yorkshire, WIDDOWS - Ireland

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 October 08 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruby

You should really ignore the county affiliation of regiments before the 1870s as the Depot of most regiments was not permanent, but wandered around the British Isles. Even though the battalion was in the East Indies they probably retained a Depot in the UK. Reading the link provided by Annie they would clearly need a constant supply of replacements.

It is also possible that he was serving out in India with another regiment and transferred to the 61st Foot out there. If you cannot find his papers you will have to track him using the Muster Books. They arrived back from Mauritius on 15 Sept 1860.

He was clearly in the 61st Foot as a Regular and after discharge became an Instructor to a volunteer outfit. You will have to check with the local record office, but I think there was one called the Angus Militia.

Here is a link to researching the military - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

If you cannot visit Kew you may be able to get the microfilm for the men discharged from the 61st Foot sent to your nearest LDS/FH Centre under the A2A scheme. Although there is a possibility that his papers followed him to the volunteers he joined.

If you cannot find his papers you will have to visit Kew and look at the Muster Books for the 61st Foot.

Ken

Offline rubyrose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum - thanks to RC Restorers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 October 08 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

Many thanks for this information. Had a little look at the online stuff on the NA site but no sign of a George Morrison and not much on the Angus Militia beyond 1835. Muster books and papers seem to be split between Kew and Scotland so I think this is one I will leave for another day.

I really appreciate your help Ken. Thank you.

Ruby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER - Lancashire, Cheshire, BUCHANAN - Glasgow, Lancashire, LAWRENCE - Jamaica, Lancashire, JONES - Shropshire, Lancashire, SHAWCROSS - Lancashire, India,  MONTAGU - Lancashire, America, MORRISON - Fife, Lancashire, SEDDON DUTTON HESKETH  - Lancashire, WHITEHEAD - Yorkshire, WIDDOWS - Ireland

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 October 08 19:34 BST (UK) »
For most of the 19th century the Militia came under to the Lord Lieutenant of the county, rather than the War Office. So it is always worth checking local record offices as well as Kew.

ken

Offline moli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 October 08 21:54 GMT (UK) »

Hi Ken,

In your reply earlier in this thread about Francis Thompson of the  25th Foot, you said to "give you a prod" as you were going to check on Francis. Well, I'm prodding! Any luck in unearthing details, no matter how trivial?

regards,
  moli