Author Topic: Septimus Bland in jail in 1851  (Read 2262 times)

Offline oldieb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Septimus Bland in jail in 1851
« on: Wednesday 22 October 08 17:46 BST (UK) »
Anyone with any idea how I find out why Septimus Bland was in Thrapston jail at the 1851 census. I don't have any famous relatives, so a relatively infamous one would be good!
Blands of Thrapston

Offline cornish milly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Septimus Bland in jail in 1851
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 October 08 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Just got the details of my grandfather who was in Northampton jail in 1891.  I contacted Northamptonshire County Council Archivist (01604 762129) and they searched the records and send you a report.  The charge was £20, but worth every penny!   :)

Offline oldieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Milly - I'll give it a try
Blands of Thrapston

Offline oldieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 08 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Snag for me, but may be useful for others.
I spoke to the Archivist - records there start just after the 1851 census, so she couln't help me. Suggestion was that I try the County Library for newspaper records etc.
Thanks anyway.
Blands of Thrapston

Offline misuaorang

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 16:40 GMT (UK) »
A bit late to be replying, but anyway... I can't answer why Septimus was in jail in 1851, but I did come across an account on Ancestry about an affray in 1877 that has an interesting connection. Together with my great-(n)-uncle Anthony Jacques, one Septimus Bland assaulted a police sergeant and several others at Quarry Street, in front of Jowsey's beerhouse, Shildon. I don't have a paid membership to Ancestry, and probably can't provide a link to it that would work, and I think it a bad idea to just copy and paste the whole thing here in deference to the no-doubt crack team of lawyers Ancestry employs, but hopefully I've given enough info that you could find it yourself if you do have access to Ancestry.

On the 1881 Census I note that a Septimus Bland (born 1812) and another (born 1857, year before my relative Anthony Jacques) were living together in Whitworth, which is also in the same area. I speculate that Septimus the elder is the one you're looking for, while the younger is the one getting into trouble in 1877. Presumably having legal problems ran in the family (or was a consequence of poverty etc).

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Northampton Mercury
04 Jan 1851
Thrapston - Septimus Bland pleaded guilty of stealing six fowls, the property of Thomas Roe, and was sentenced to four months hard labour.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 20 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline oldieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 December 20 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ev, cuffie 81 and misuaorang - I'd quite forgotten my original post of 2008!
I did have the theft of 6 fowls details but not the affray, which I can now look for (I do belong to Ancestry). My Septimus was born in 1831 and may have died in 1853; still not sure (surprising how many Septimus's there are!).
I did find a more infamous ancestor - Septimus' brother Thomas. He got 10 years and transportation in 1850 at Northamptonshire Assizes for "stabbing to do bodily harm" - attacked one of Lord Lilford's staff while he and others were out poaching. "Others" may well have included Septimus (details from Northamptonshire Mercury). Thomas was sent to Perth in Western Australia at the end of 1853, had a couple of convictions there for drunk and disorderly and then vanishes.
Blands of Thrapston

Offline misuaorang

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 December 20 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Oh, brain misfire on my part - I saw Northumbria when you wrote Northamptonshire! The Septimus's certainly did get around, and into trouble.