Author Topic: First USA connection  (Read 4637 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: First USA connection
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Early immigrantion does not seem to be very carefly checked.  So many thousands came through during that period that much was never recorded or the records were not kept.  As an American, all my ancestors took a boat from somewhere at some time.  I have only found 3 records for sure out of my whole tree. A bit of a needle in a hay stack.

He could have been naturalized. During that time period naturalization would have occurred at the county in the state he was located.  Naturalization applications usually were accepted after 5 years of residency in the US. 

Also, there might be ship log that was kept in the port he entered.  Have you looked at the immigrant ship transcribers guild? There is always a chance his ship was transcribed.

http://www.immigrantships.net/

Good luck. 
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive