Author Topic: London Apprentices: Armourers and Brasiers' Co 1610-1800 Look-up Offer  (Read 9566 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
London Apprentices: Armourers and Brasiers' Co 1610-1800 Look-up Offer
« on: Friday 24 October 08 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a copy of London Apprentices : Armourers and Brasiers' Company 1610 -1800 from which I am happy to do look-ups. Although the apprenticeships were in London, the apprentices came from all over the country. The index gives the apprentices name plus his father's name ocupation and abode and the name of the master and date of apprenticeship. It does not unfortunately give the residence of the master or whether he was an armorer or brasier - but there is a separate index of Masters, so if you already know you have, say, a London Brasier you can find out if anyone was apprenticed to him.

Jan ;)

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: London Apprentices: Armourers and Brasiers' Co 1610-1800 Look-up Offer
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 October 08 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer.
I would be interested in any SANDERS (armourers), especially the 1780-1800 period. Family legend has three father-to-son armourer sergeants, and I'm stuck with the middle one who would have been born about 1796 in the Middlesex area. If you're successful, I'll take all the SANDERS on your list.

Regards,
Mark

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 October 08 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

No Sanders listed as Masters I'm afraid. The book's intro says that duty was due on apprenticeships between 1710 and 1814 but there were a large number of exemptions to this act so many expected apprenticeships are absent. I guess father to son apprenticeships would be one of the exemptions , certainly my brasiers are missing in this way.

However there are the following Sanders apprenticeships which may be of interest

Sanders, Anthony s Edward Burford, Oxf mercer to Daniel Tayler 15 Nov 1716
Sanders James s Samuel Bishopsgate Street Lnd blacksmith to William Cowan 10 May 1780
Sanders John s James St Sepulchre Ldn butcher to Robert Birkhead 24 Jun 1670
Sanders John s Abraham St Marylebone Mdx bargeman to John Johnson 20 Mar 1715/16
Sanders John s Samuel Bishopsgate Street Ldn blacksmith to William Cowan 6 Aug 1772

plus these Sandes which may be a variant

Sandes John s David to William Hall 25 Dec 1650
Sandes Samuel s samuel to Edward Yonger 27 Feb 1667/8
Sandes William s David Graythwaite (Satterthwaite) Lan husbandman to William Roberts 25 Jul 1646

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 October 08 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Appreciate the help anyway.
Regards.

Offline Maudie427

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 11 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a copy of London Apprentices : Armourers and Brasiers' Company 1610 -1800 from which I am happy to do look-ups. Although the apprenticeships were in London, the apprentices came from all over the country. The index gives the apprentices name plus his father's name ocupation and abode and the name of the master and date of apprenticeship. It does not unfortunately give the residence of the master or whether he was an armorer or brasier - but there is a separate index of Masters, so if you already know you have, say, a London Brasier you can find out if anyone was apprenticed to him.

Jan ;)

Offline Maudie427

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 December 11 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful if you could look up Thomas Williams for me.  He was an Armourer and Brazier in City of London.  He was born c1747.  Many thanks.

Chris

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 11 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

This could be him although if he was born 1747 he would have been rather old

Williams Thomas s Thomas, St Botolph Aldersgate, copper plate maker to John Tilbury 4 Apr 1769

There is also this

Williams Thomas s Thomas to his father 15 Nov 1721

and

Williams Thomas s William St Olave Southwark Sry mariner to Thomas Rodes 26 Jul 1694

Too early but could be related.

Do you have an Ancestry sub? As the Thomas who was apprenticed 1769 indentur is there the master is indexed as Silbury but it is definitely Tilbury

Hope this is of some help

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Maudie427

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 December 11 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  It is difficult to tell if it is him.  There is a long line of Thomas Williams and it is a common name.  They mainly lived in West Smithfield and became Butchers' Cutlers and Surgical Instrument Makers.

Thanks for the lookup.

Chris

Offline bristol170

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 January 12 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi- a bit of a long shot, but I have direct ancestors who were brass founders/ lamp makers in the Finsbury/Moorfields area and was wondering if any apprenticeship records might exist for them?
 The bad news is that the names are:
James Smith (born 29 Jan 1786) son of John Smith and Hannah ?
John Smith (James' father) who was probably born abt 1750 - first child was baptised 1774 at St Luke Old Street, Finsbury.
There's also a William Robert Smith, a second son of John, born 1788 who also became a brass founder (and gas fitter)

I have found a James Smith working from Banner Street, Moorfields in the right period but cannot confirm if it is my ancestor.

I know this is a tough one, but have to try!

Kindest regards,

Andy Smith, Guernsey.