Author Topic: Alleyne of Golden, Tipperary  (Read 40793 times)

Offline hub1525

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alleyne of Golden, Tipperary
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 25 February 12 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have just found your discussions regarding the Alleyne family.

I am descended from Samuel Richard Alleyne and knew of his marriage to Jane Quirk in the Isle of Man.  I now see that he was born in Ireland the son of Samuel Alleyne and Charity Pennefather so thank you for that.

Do you have any BDM details or further information on ancestors of Samuel

Samuel Richard's son Richard Edward was born in the Isle of Man and moved to Liverpool.  Further details can be found on my web site www.hubber.me.uk
Hubber, Howse, Lawler

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 February 12 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Re ancestors of Samuel Alleyne who married Charity Pennefather in 1763.
Limerick Chronicle 1783 p.o. 16 Jan. Died in 80th year John Alleyne Esq. of Golden.  So John was born 1704.  Alleynes war English Protestant Planter family brought to Ireland mid 17th cent.  John was father of Samuel who married Charity Pennefather o Newpark in 1763.  The Alleyne/Pennefather marrige settlemen contains a grat deal of information on the Alleyne property in Tipperary. The  no. is 223-618-150481/2 if anyone would like to order a photostat copy from thr Registry of Deeds in Dublin. Samuel had one son Samuel Richard and 2 daus.  He died 1815 leaving £200 to his "ungrateful son". Samuel Richard  Alleyne (Southern Reg. Thurs 16 Feb 1821) At the Inn of Tipperary on Sat. Samuel Richard Alleyne of Golden only son of late Alleyne Esq. of Golden and formerly a Captain in H.M. 11 Regt. of Foot.  He had m.  twice. In 1801 to Annabel Childe, div. 1805 then 1812 to Jane Quir in Braddon IOM.  The rest you know.

Offline hub1525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 27 February 12 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Anthony, many thanks for this.

I do have a few questions if you could help further.

You mention that Samuel married Charity in 1763.  In your earlier post of 20 October you say 1765.  I assume that one is a typo.  Perhaps you could clarify.

I am intrigued by:-  "He died 1815 leaving £200 to his "ungrateful son". Samuel Richard  Alleyne (Southern Reg. Thurs 16 Feb 1821) At the Inn of Tipperary on Sat. Samuel Richard Alleyne of Golden".

Can you tell me any more and what is Southern Reg and can you clarify the significance of the date of 1821.

Many thanks
Hubber, Howse, Lawler

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Alleyne/Pennefather marriage definitely 1763.  John Alleyne and son Samuel are 2 of the 7 parties to it.
Earliest ref. I can find to John Sen. is a deed dated April 1751 which mentions John (eldest son who m. Mary Hyde 1768) Samuel (2nd. son) and John Wise of Limerick, his nephew.
Samuel's will was dated early 1815.
Southern Register was a newspaper which carried a death notice for Samuel Richard in 1826 (issue 26 Feb. 1826)

Offline hub1525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this Anthony, you have been a great help.
Hubber, Howse, Lawler

Offline robertscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 18 March 12 04:12 GMT (UK) »
I have Alleyne ancestors from Golden but know little about them at present as I have only just started researching the family. Alleyne is used as a middle name with some of my ancestors who were born or lived in Golden.

John Scott b.1769 married Sophia Ryan b.1777 in 1798. A distant Ryan cousin told me that Sophia's grandmother was an Alleyne from Castle Park, Golden and that some of the Ryans are buried near the Alleyne family in the Golden COI churchyard. This Ryan family were Church of Ireland whereas most Ryans are Catholic.

I actually visited the Golden COI churchyard in 2004 and remember seeing Alleyne graves but didn't know they were relatives at the time so took no photos or notes.

If anyone knows more about the Alleyne/Ryan/Scott connection please let me know.

As I find out more I will post here.

Offline robertscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 18 March 12 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Someone mentioned that the Alleynes may have been Cromwellian Adventurers. I consulted Prendergast's "Cromwellian Settlement of Ireland" and could find no mention of the name as either soldiers or adventurers. There were some Allen/Allenn listed though.

Offline robertscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 18 March 12 07:14 GMT (UK) »
I have finally located a copy of a private unpublished family history by a distant cousin that has information on the Alleynes I am related to. This was compiled before 1914, in part using information from records now destroyed in the Four Courts fire of 1922.

Daniel Ryan of Carrick on Suir b. 1736 married Ellinor youngest daughter of Samuel Alleyne of Goldenbridge whose mother was nee Pennefather and d. 1782 (buried at Ballintemple). She married 2nd 1764 Peter Parker, 2nd Regiment of Horse.

Children:

Mary

Francis

Margaret

Thomas

John of Golden m. Elizabeth Carroll of Kilkee

William of Clonmel

Henry of Golden m. 1792 his cousin Mary Ryan, daughter of Patrick Ryan of Ballintemple

Offline robertscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 18 March 12 07:28 GMT (UK) »
continued from my previous post....

John Ryan of Golden married Elizabeth Carroll

Children:

Nicholas of Golden

Henry of Dublin and Golden b. 1769 d. 1827

Mary m. 1789 Cornelius Ryan

Sophia m. 1798 John Scott

Elinor married her cousin William Alleyne of Golden (son of J. Alleyne of Golden) and d. 1840 leaving issue

Elizabeth

Francis John of Golden m. 1812 Maria Norwood

Thomas of Golden b.1784

Patrick

William of Clogheen

That's all I have at present.