Author Topic: Alleyne of Golden, Tipperary  (Read 40716 times)

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alleyne of Golden, Tipperary
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 August 10 01:45 BST (UK) »
Interested to hear of anyone with connections/information on the Alleyne family of Golden, Tipp. One family came to Australian in the 1850's - Samuel Hyde Alleyne, born abt 1803, his  wife and all children born in Golden.

Also interested if anyone knows anything of this family's connection to the Hyde family of Castle Hyde.

cheers
matt

Is it the marriage of Mary Hyde and John Alleyne in 1768 you're looking for?

Dara.

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 August 10 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
YES any information on that would be immensely useful. I'm aware of a marriage, but not any details. Wow, this is quite exciting. You can also email me at cispt2 at gmail dot com
I've been working on an Alleyne family tree based on land titles, newspaper announcements (no church records sadly). Would be happy to share it with you.
cheers,
matt
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 June 11 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Dara -- yes that is the marriage I'm looking for. Do you have any details? What was your source?
Cheers,
Matt
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 September 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
Glad to see such interest in this family of Alleynes.  My own interest of them is marginal only because the Ellen Scully who married Samuel Alleyne in 1800 was one of my mother's Scully family and i did some research on them.
Briefly the first Alleyne in Golden appears to be the John Alleyne whose death is noticed in the Limerick Chronicle of 1783 :
p.o. 16 Jan. in his 80th year John Alleyne Esq. of Golden.
The family seem to have been middle-men rather than landowners but on a large scale and wealthy as shown by the marriage settlements of their daughters.  More later as I am running out of space

Offline lesB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 October 11 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony
I’m also interested in the Alleyne family. My first contact with Matt (cispt2) can be seen at post #4 on this thread.  Following that contact we exchanged information by personal message and email some time ago.

Some time ago I alerted Matt to your posting by email but now I see that he hasn’t responded. Perhaps a change of email address on his part?

Sorry for not replying earlier myself but very busy with preparing house for sale, however I would be very interested in learning more about your research, if that is ok with you.

We are not able to post email addresses on RootsChat, however personal messages can be exchanged once 3 postings have been completed.

Cheers, Les

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 October 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, Les. Just to throw something into the Alleyne pot, here's a few ewspaper notices.
Limerick Evening Post Wed. 28 Feb. 1816 Married bt the Rev. W.E. Lloyd at Golden Church James Fogarty Esq. Jun. of Cabra Castle to Miss Alleyne, au. of the late John Alleyne Esq. of Tipperary, (Her name was Mary Anne)
S. R. Thurs 16 Feb. 1826 at the Inn of Tipperary on Sat. Samuel Richard Alleyne Esq. only son of the late Samuel Aleyne Esq. 0f Golden and formerly a Capt. in H.M. 11th Regt. of Foot.  He married Jane Quirk at Braddon IOM on 12 Sept. 1812 (This is the Ungrateful Son of the will).
Samuel Alleyne had died in Dublin on 9 Feb. 1815.
S.R. On 23 Sept. 1845 Richard Edward Alleyne Esq. to Catherine Geddes at Braddon IOM
Marriage License Bonds'
1766 Samuel Alleyne of Golden to Charity Pennefather
24 June 1796 Samuel Alleyne of Golden to Belinda Johnston widow of Montmellick. 

Offline lesB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony
May I enquire where you obtained the newspaper information?

My Samuel William Hyde Alleyne described himself as a shepherd on the Australian Immigration Boards record of 1850, born in Golden Tipperary about 1803, parents William and Ellen (both deceased).

Information gleaned since, suggests William’s parents were John Alleyne and Mary Hyde (married about 1768), although this hasn’t been confirmed.

I’m wondering if the John Alleyne (mentioned at #14) as only having one son (Samuel Richard) might not be a brother or cousin to my William.
Have you any thoughts on this?

Cheers, Les

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
Les, Newspaper cuttings are to be found in 1. Rosemary ffolliott Biographicl Notices 1758-1827 and 2. O'Kief Coise Mange (15 Vols)  The first is in typescript and the second is an early example of desktop publishing (1950's).  Cork City Library has both.
I did a lot of research in the Alleyne deeds in the Registry in Dublin.  They show clearly that Samuel who m. Charity Pennefather in 1765 and John who m. Mary Hyde in 1768 were brothers.  In a lease dated 14 April 1779 Walter Atkins to John Alleyne 500 acres IPM at Coolprevane for 3 lives John  lists his 3 young sons, Samuel, John and William.
Samuel m. Ellen Scully in 1800 and d. in 1841.  They had three children, John. who inherited Coolprevane, William and Ellen.  I know nothing about what happend to the other sons, John and William.  I just wish the family had a wider choice of names. Anthony

Offline lesB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 October 11 08:18 BST (UK) »
Anthony, thank you so very much for this information. You are so right about the narrow choice of names as I find it confusing.

Am I right in assuming that the John who married Mary Hyde was the John who signed the 1779 lease and that Samuel who married Ellen Scully was a son of this John?

Cheers, Les