Author Topic: Alleyne of Golden, Tipperary  (Read 40773 times)

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alleyne of Golden, Tipperary
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 October 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
Les, I think a copy of the Hyde/Alleyne marriage settlement would be most useful here.  I have the Pennefather/Alleyne one so I guess it should be in the Registry.  There's a Hyde/Alleyne deed of 1774 between the Hydes and John Alleyne of Coolprovane so this suggests strongly that the John of the 1779 deed is the John who married Mary Hyde. I have the Scully/Alleyne Marriage Settlement of 1800 and there is no doubt that this Samuel was the son of John of Coolprvane. Regards, Anthony

Offline lesB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 October 11 08:53 BST (UK) »
Anthony, thank you.  You have certainly cleared up that confusion (in my mind).

I wish I could just duck down to the Dublin Registry but alas it’s just a bit too far, somewhat!  One day I hope to visit Ireland but sometimes I fear I may have left my run too late.

I have sent you a Personal Message just prior to this posting. Please let me know if you didn’t receive same.

Regards, les

Offline lesB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 22 October 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
Anthony, just another thought, is Coolprvane the name of an estate, as it doesn't appear as a place/area/town etc on Google?

Cheers, Les

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 October 11 13:53 BST (UK) »
Les, Coolprevane was probably a townland in the 18th century but seems to have vanished from the maps since (like hundreds of others).  However, there is no doubt that it remained in Alleyne hands until 1872 when it was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court.  It was described as "lands of Cooleprivane (771 acres) in the Barony of Iffa and Offa the property of Michael Duffy and William Henry Alleyne, a minor, held on a lease from Walter Atkin to John Allyn dated 1779.  The lease was last renewed in 1842, Gertrude Atkin to Ellen Alleyn.
Samuel must have been the last of the three lives, Samuel, John and William.  Samuel had conveyed the estate to his son John in 1833.  Ellen, widow of Samuel, remarried James Keating of Garranlea soon after his death and in 1846 assigned the estate to Samuel (her nephew, son of her brother John) "now a student at Carlow College".  This Samuel got into all sorts of financial trouble
about 1865 and departed for the States, no doubt with he bailiffs hot on his tail.  The Duffy mentioned was a solicitor acting as a receiver in the bankruptcy and William Henry Alleyne was son of Samuel.  The 771 statute acres mentioned is the same as the 500 Irish acres mentioned in the original lease.  There are 76 townlands in Tipperary starting with Cool on an up-to-date list.  Coolprevane must be in the Golden area as it is in the same barony. 
Regards, Anthony

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 October 11 08:38 BST (UK) »
from Place Database of Ireland  (www.logainm.ie)

Townland: Coolapreavan / Cúil an Phréamháin
  alternate spellings :    Coolefrevane, Cooleprevane, Coolaprivaun etc
  see : link

Townland Database http://www.thecore.com/seanruad
  Townland : Coolaprevan
  Barony :  772
  Civil Parish : Clogheen    
  Barony : Iffa and Offa West
  Poor Law Union
  County : Tipperary South Riding 

OSI Map : link
 marked as Coolapreavan on map. Select the Historic 6" option for the 1st edition c1840 map

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lesB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Anthony for that wonderful explanation on lease matters pertaining to the Alleynes and thanks to Shane for the map of Coolaprevan. I'm sure Anthony will also appreciate the link.
I notevthat the townland is in County Tipperary and in the Barony of Iffa & Offa West and wondered if it is near Golden?
Please excuse me for my ignorance of Irish geography.

Les

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 10:18 BST (UK) »
The townland of Coolaprevan is located in south west County Tipperary, and about 5km west of the town of Ballyporeen - see : link (google map)

The town of Golden is about 40km north of Ballyporeen and near to the town of Cashel. See - link (google map)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, Les and Shane, good work there.  There are over 40,000 townlands in Ireland, many of them with alternative spellings. so a source of endless confusion.
That wiil was fascinating.  Wouldn't have done much good to anyone, as the Castlehyde estate of 6000 acres was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1852 for about £18000, a steal for a syndicate of cute Cork businessmen.
A word about the scial standing of the Alleynes and Hydes.
Both were Protestant Ascendancy famiilies, the Hydes getting their estate late 16th century ( Land forfeited from the Irish rebels following the Desmond Rebellion) and the Alleynes in the 17th century in the Cromwellian Sattlement.  They must have been Adventurers. Cromwell financed his wars in Ireland by selling land he expected to take from the Irish in the London market.
The Scullys were rich enough to ensure that if any of their daughters married into a Protestant family the chilren must be brought up as Catholics.  Hence the Catholic branch ex Samuel Alleyne and Ellen Scully. But "Romish Ch." for William?  Puzzle there.  More later. Anthony

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 December 11 16:24 GMT (UK) »
A short history of Cooprevane estate.  John Alleyne said to be "of Coolprebane" when he married Mary Hyde in 1768. He was living there in 1774 (see Mortgage of Templenoe).  Renewed lease from Head Landlord (Atkins) 1779.   Left estate (500 acres Irish = 772 statute) to son Samuel who never actually lived there.  He was an attorney with his office in Tipperary town.  Conveyed estate to son John 1833 at rent of £180 Irish currency.  Lease renewed 1841 on death of Samuel, last of 3 lives by Ellen Alleyne, who conveyed it to nephew Samuel, son of her brother William, just in time for the Famine disaster.  By 1860 Samuel was in serious financial trouble.  In October 1860 he married Margaret Cowen, marriage settlement pledged Coolprevane to the executors of Settlement.  In 1865 Margaret's father Joseph was suing him for non-performance, Samuel went to the US and enlisted in the 33rd Regt.  Back in Dubln by 1870 he was being sued by Philip Russell, farmer of Coolprevane, next move to France.  Estate sold 1872 in Encumbered Estates Court.  Census of 1901 shows him in Waterford, occupation "Weighmaster".  Census of 1911 his son Samuel aged 28 occupation "garden Labourer".  Sad story !