Author Topic: Google Books for beginners  (Read 6006 times)

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
Re: Google Books for beginners
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 October 08 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome Paulene,

Another hint I should have given at the start was: if something in particular comes up that you're looking for, and it may show up several times in a book, do a search on the right hand side BEFORE you download it, and make a note (keep all the books in one folder, and one notepad/text file saved to the same folder, with reference to the book/pages), because once you download it, as I understand it, you can't search it for particular words. I always download them, because for some reason, I can't find books that I have found in there previously.
I've checked out each of the boards, including the photographic restoration one. Excellent work done by all involved (ticking over in my mind which photos I have already that may need a 'fix up' ;))
I'm amazed by the sheer volume of information in one spot, that's FREE, and the work done by those who offer it. Don't know how I didn't find this site years ago, as it was only by accident I ended up here now. Maybe I skipped over it because it had the word Chat in it. Not a big fan of chat rooms, so who knows. Either way, here now, love what I've found, and have set up a permanent camp in the corner  :P
Congratulations to those who founded, and work hard at making this place what it is :)

Victoria

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 October 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Found a possible ancestor imprisoned for a poaching incident - and another who had a prize winnign poultry in the "Poultry journal" or something like that

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 October 08 23:37 GMT (UK) »
drodgers34,

You just never know what you'll find, or where you'll find it!  :)

Victoria

Offline Tabbitha

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 October 08 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome Tabbitha,

Good luck with your search, I can pretty much guarantee you'll find something of interest. 
Let us all know how you go! :)

Victoria

I found this

Lancs:Barrow,Boyer,Carr,Leete,Morris,Phillips,Sabine,Thickett.
West Midlands:Barnett,Blackwood,Falconer
Ireland: Hearn,Morris
USA :Boyer,Thickett

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 October 08 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Tabbitha,

Excellent! Hope it gives you more information to follow up on. Good find!

Victoria

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 October 08 02:08 GMT (UK) »
I was told about google books yesterday, Im sure I had used it once before and did not pay enough attention to the wealth of information that it yields.

More googling for me yeah! ;D
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 October 08 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Floozy,

Good to hear. Hope you find lots :)

Victoria

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 27 October 08 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know Google book was free,so never tried it,think i will now

Celia

??

You started a thread about Google Books on 16 September that eventually spanned about 4 pages.

Did I? I don't remember doing that,mind you i don't remember doing a lot of things in September.Will see if i can find it.

I had a poke round google books last night but only got the the classic ones by famous authors.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 October 08 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I had a look last night, intending just to have a quick look, but so much came up that I ended up going to bed in the early hours!
Found that this about my great grandfather x3 :
Adams 16th May 1859
1215  Edward Adams of the Stanton Ironworks, in the County of Derby, Furnace Manager, for an invention for - "The employment of machinery for drawing or extracting the gas, flames, or smoke from furnaces, and forcing the same into them or, into the cupola to be used as blast or fuel for melting iron or mines of any description"

I knew that he was a furnace manager, but didn't realise he'd invented anything!
This book is a wonderful resource for names:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&id=lRSWUY3p3GwC&dq=cronological+index+of+patents+applied+for&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=Q6V9vm1MZa&sig=U3n8zMxLDrLeMJaWPUpSst6EEe0&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result
Thank you once again, Victoria :)
Paulene :)