Author Topic: Can you please help!  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you please help!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 October 08 16:55 BST (UK) »
Have you found the family in 1851?                               HO107/1513/551/13

They have daughters Elizabeth and Mary Jane, either of whom could be the mother?

Do you have later censuses for Isabella or her marriage certificate?  These might show her parents, or at least her father?

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 October 08 17:05 BST (UK) »
Here they are in 1841 with another daughter Isabella

HO107/673/7/50/3

Wm 40 house painter No
Mary 35 No
William 4 Yes
Elizbeth 3 Yes
Mary 3 Yes
Isabella 4 months Yes

Address: Queen's Place, Finsbury
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline GeoffP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Irish Grandmother Julia Sexton(Moxham)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 October 08 17:18 BST (UK) »
The 1871 I posted shows Isabella as daughter. I suspect that grandau on 1861 as posted by Nick is probably a mistake by the enumerator.

The birth Isabella Matilda Miller Dec Q 1856 would seem to be correct and as Nanny Jan stated the cert would confirm the parents.

Geoff
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Peirce/Pierce/Pearce: Hungerford,Berks/Burbage Wilts.              
   Moxham: Monkton Farleigh, Wilts
   Sexton:Cork,Ireland, New York

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 October 08 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff & everyone

Lazylane has PMed me & will reply on the board shortly - just getting the hang of things!

:D

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 October 08 17:43 BST (UK) »
Posting these on behalf of Lazylane:

Hi, the possible connection is that she maybe the illegitimate daughter of my Great grandmother Mary Jane Miller or her twin sister Elizabeth.
Mary Jane was married to my Great grandfather John Reynolds .We have never found a marriage certificate for John and Mary and have practically given up.But  it was always rumoured in the family that my Grand father John had a sister and we thought this might be Isabella.
The 1861 census gave us Isabella's name.I haven't quite got the hang of replying yet! I think I'm getting my quotes and replies mixed up !!
Any advice welcome.

This Isabella we believe is my Great grandmothers sister who must have died.I wish I knew how to answer the postings!

My comment: refers to the Isabella in the 1841 census

John Reynolds my Grandfather,was born just after my Great grandfather died.
Mary Jane Miller my Great grandmother remarried a Mr Moore when john was 5 years old, and there was no other children living with them.We have no information on Mary Jane Miller from 1851 when she was twelve  until when my Grandfather was born in the Mint street workhouse in Southwark 1883.

Another of my comments: has anyone got access to baptisms for this (huge?) area to see who is Isabella's mother?

;)

Offline lazylane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 October 08 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all you kind people who took the time to reply to my cry for help,especially Arranroot,who calmed me down as I am a novice at this and was getting in a right panic.
I am heading for the sunshine tomorrow so will hopefully come back to the Roots,with renewed vigour and serenity.
Thankyou all once again and hope to make your aquaintance on my return.I have loads of queries!

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 October 08 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Don't panic,we've all been there,we were all new to this once....although it does seem a long time ago  ;D

Oh and by the way,there is no such thing as a daft question,if you don't know the answer to anything just ask,and one of us will try to help you.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lazylane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 October 08 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Carol,I really did feel stupid.So thanks for your reassurance.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 October 08 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Have a nice break Lazylane - and we hope to help you again on your return

:)