Author Topic: St. Wilfrid's (RC), Preston registers  (Read 11402 times)

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St. Wilfrid's (RC), Preston registers
« on: Saturday 25 October 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of these registers and will handle reasonable requests. 
Catholic families of the Amounderness region of Lancashire, England:  Tomlinson, Bamber, Gillow, et. al.
Dunn, Dempsey, McCabe from the Clonaslee area of Laois, Ireland.
Nolan, Kelly from Tipperarry, Ireland.

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Wilfrid's (RC), Preston registers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 08 19:36 BST (UK) »

Hello  :D

This is music to my ears   :D  :D

What dates do you have ?
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 October 08 20:53 BST (UK) »
Aside from some years that are missing, it cover 1768-1899.
Catholic families of the Amounderness region of Lancashire, England:  Tomlinson, Bamber, Gillow, et. al.

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 October 08 21:22 BST (UK) »

Phil - hello again

I have some baptisms for my family, found by another RC-er, who did a fab. job, but if it is possible to fill some gaps, I should be delighted   ;D

One I would dearly love to have is for my 2 x great grandmother Mary Walmsley,    and any possible siblings for my 2 x great grandfather John Prescott.

I have John's baptism in 1801 at St. Winfreds,  and John and Mary's marriage at St. Johns (I understand they weren't allowed to marry in catholic  church in 1826 )  and I have the baptisms of their children, including my great grandfather Thomas.

Mary Walsmley says on census born c. 1806/7 and I have her death certificate 8 Oct 1868 aged 61.

John Prescott's parents were Thomas Prescott and Ellen Rostron.  I have his bap  -  were there any siblings. I wonder ?

Lastly - Robert Dunderdale c. 1810;  he was my 2 great grandad too - his daughter Jane married Thomas.  I have no bap or siblings for Robert - and only possible parents (Robert and Barbara)

Incidentally, Jane Dunderdale and Thomas Prescott married at St Joseph's school, in 1854, not St Wilfred's church;  any idea why that might have been ?

Your help will be much appreciated   :D  :D

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 October 08 23:11 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately some of what you are looking for falls within the missing years of 1804-1812.  However I did find the following:

1813/04/18  Joseph Prescott.  Parents Thomas and Helen Prescott.  Sponsors James Grundy and Betty Cuerden.

1816/01/01  Agnes Prescot.  Parents Robert and Agnes Prescot.  Sponsors William Leach and Marianne Fox

1792/06/12 Richard Dunderdale.  Parents Robert and Jane Dunderdale.  Sponsors John Sharrock and Ann Bickup.

1795/04/17 John Dunderdale.  Parents Robert and Jane Dunderdale.  Sponsors Matthew Crumblehome and Jane Norris.

1797/05/17 Mary Ann Dunderdale.  Parents Robert and Jane Dunderdale.  Sponsors John Arkwright and Alice Cooper.

1799/12/02 Joseph Andrew Dunderdale.  Parents Robert and Jane Dunderdale.  Sponsors Richard Leach and Jane Norris.

1802/07/06 Joanna Dunderdale.  Parents Robert and Jane Dunderdale.  Sponsors James Smith and Mary Dunderdale.

I did not see anything with wife Barbara.  Marriage register shows Robert Dunderdale and Jane Brakell were married 1792/02/05.  John Sharrock and Helen Dunderdale were married 1794/06/08.  Thomas Dunderdale and Ann Leach were married 1777/09/14.  There were other Dunderdale families in the baptismal registers as well.  Thomas, John, and Richard if I am remembering correctly.  I hope this is of some help.

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 October 08 23:30 BST (UK) »

Phil -  that's great   :D   Thank you so much  :D

Just my luck that the one I really want most - Mary Walmsley - is bang in the middle of the missing ones  :(     

And Robert Dunderdale, 1810   :(    However, the Robert and Jane you found seem most likely to be the correct family -  Robert b. 1810 named his daughter Jane   :D   The possible Barbara came from a very very bad 1841 census image as being in the right place and age - and I could well have mis-read it anyway.

Mary Walmsleys parents are now the only missing pair of 3 x great grandparents  :-\  :-\       Can I ask - is there a Walmsley family on the register who might have had a Mary 1807 ?  IE: baps either side of the missing dates ?

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 October 08 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Walmsley
Marriages
#79 1797/11/22 John Walmsley and Jane Norris.

#86 1798/02/25 Hugh Walmsley (aet 49) and Mary Lee (aet 34)

#179 1803/02/22 Richard Walmsley and Margaret Townsend

Have you by chance consulted the 1810/1820 census of St. Wilfrid's?