Author Topic: Stedman West Malling  (Read 5084 times)

Offline Naomi Appleby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stedman West Malling
« on: Saturday 25 October 08 21:35 BST (UK) »
This week, I came into possession of a lovely locket, with a picture of a lady in it.

On the reverse of the locket is in-scripted with Mrs Stedman, Broomfield, West Malling,
Kent, 1905.

What I would like to know is, does anyone recognize this surname, and also
Broomfield?

Doust - Sussex
Tillman - Sussex?
Lee - Middlesex
Peacock - Yorkshire
Clavert - Yorkshire

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Stedman West Malling
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 08 10:43 GMT (UK) »
So far as I know, there are 2 Broomfields in Kent, one is near Herne the other is about midway between Harrietsham and Leeds - neither near West Malling.

Admittedly I've only done a quick 1901 search (you-know-where) which has thrown up 3 Stedmans in West Malling -

RG13/743/53/41
 RG13/ 743/58/4
 RG13/711/90/8

Offline Naomi Appleby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 October 08 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Will have look into those 1901 census.

Would be nice, if I could find an family members around now, to see if they have anymore info on the family :)
Doust - Sussex
Tillman - Sussex?
Lee - Middlesex
Peacock - Yorkshire
Clavert - Yorkshire

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 October 08 13:46 GMT (UK) »
An 1899 directory for West Malling shows http://www.hereshistorykent.org.uk/

STEDMAN Richard Broomfield, pharmaceutical chemist

The Broomfield here would be a second name rather than a place but I would have thought it quite likely to be the same family somewhere along the line though :-\

Casalguidi :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fabian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 January 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Sorry for the belated reply but I have only just joined.

The Stedman Chemist shop in West Malling was founded by my 3g grandfather, James Stedman.  James was born in Speldhurst in 1763 and died in W Malling in 1828.  One of his sons, Richard, married a Sarah Broomfield.  Their eldest son Richard had the middle name, Broomfield.  I am in touch with his great grandson, Frank Stedman.  Stedmans ran the shop throughout the 19th c. and I am told into the early part of the 20th c.

Best wishes
Nick Stedman

Offline ramosa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 May 11 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My third great grandfather was William Stedman of West Malling, who was listed as a chemist in the 1841 census (in West Malling). I assume he was working in the family chemist shop at the time.

He was the youngest of 10 children (4 boys & 6 girls) of James Stedman & Elizabeth Martin of West Malling (b 16 Feb 1808).

William married Sarah Anne Whiting of Addington, Kent (b Jan 1819, dau of Thomas Whiting & Mary), on Aug 14 1838. William died in 1850 aged 42, leaving Sarah a widow with 4 young children - Ellen (7),Thomas (5), Jane (3) & Alfred (1). They had also had 3 sons who died young - William (b 1839, d 1847), James (b Oct 1840, d 1842) and George (b Sept 1842, d before 1851).

The oldest daughter, Ellen married Frederick Peter Dendy, a draper in Horsham, and they had 2 daughters Ellen Dorinda Dendy & Florence Mary Dendy (my grt grandmother).

Our family has always been told that there is a Welsh connection through the Stedman family, and I have seen one family tree which says that James Stedman was the son of a Nathaniel Stedman (from Montgomery, Montgomeryshire in Wales), and his wife Mary Parsons.

Does anyone know if this is accurate, at this stage my hunt has hit a wall...

thanks,
Harray, Flett, Spence -  ORKNEY
Miller - CAITHNESS
Muir - AYRSHIRE
Birrell,Fergusson,Pearson - FIFE
Apps,Hyde,Liddon,Jeffreys,Percival - LONDON
Day family - KENT & Chobham,Surrey
PAYNE -  Hartfield SUSSEX
Dendy, Stedman - SUSSEX & KENT

Offline Fabian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 May 11 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have spent about a year trying to prove the Welsh story and Nathaniel's origins.  I have concluded, and now have the proof, that it was nonsense. 

Nathaniel was the fourth son of William Stedman, a yeoman farmer of Balcombe, Sussex.  Nathaniel married twice and you and I are from the second marriage, to Mary Parsons.  I believe she was from quite a well-to-do family as she had her own Will (I have a copy) in which she names all her children including James.

Nathaniel was educated (presumably at Cuckfield grammar school) and had quite a stylish signature by the age of 16 when he was working for Francis Warden, a local gentleman and a member of the Inner Temple.  Francis Warden was Steward to Viscount Montague of Sussex and later to the Lord Abergavenny (of Kent and later Sussex).  I have Nathaniel's signature on a legal document alongside that of Francis Warden.  Some years later when he signed the marriage register on his marriage to Mary Parsons, the signature is identical.

A few years before Francis was admitted to the Inner Temple,  an Edward Stedman was admitted to the Inner Temple.  He was one of the last of the Welsh Stedman's and closely related to the line which owned the extensive estates in Strata Florida.  These estates had just passed from the Stedman family to the Powell family through marriage.  It is my guess, and there is some evidence, that this is the origin of the Welsh story.  Nathaniel, who did rather well for himself and his children by both marriages, would have had every reason to move his social status up in the world.  Moving in legal circles, he would also have had access to the records and heraldry.

Much more if you would like it.

Best wishes
Nick Stedman

Offline ramosa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 May 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that info Nick, it was really interesting, I'll pass it on to the rest of the family. I guess the implication is that Nathaniel "appropriated" a more important sounding family history - not the first person to do so !!

Ellen Stedman's husband Frederick Dendy died in 1879 in Horsham, leaving Ellen with her two daughters. Ellen herself died in 1887, and the two girls Ellen & Florence were brought up by Frederick Dendy's sister in Horsham. Florence married George Day (whose family owned a drapery/grocery in Chobham, but originally came from Chart Sutton) Oct 9 1901, & they emigrated to NZ, where George was farming. They had 9 children, 8 of whom lived to adulthood - Florence Ellen (my grandmother), Edward Lesley, Phyllis Hinemoa, Hugh Dendy, Joan Maru (?), Doreen Tui, Keith Stedman & Margery Evelyn Day, and there is a large family of descendants in NZ.

Any more info you have about the Stedmans would be great

cheers, Robyn Morris

Harray, Flett, Spence -  ORKNEY
Miller - CAITHNESS
Muir - AYRSHIRE
Birrell,Fergusson,Pearson - FIFE
Apps,Hyde,Liddon,Jeffreys,Percival - LONDON
Day family - KENT & Chobham,Surrey
PAYNE -  Hartfield SUSSEX
Dendy, Stedman - SUSSEX & KENT

Offline Crimbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 August 21 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am currently working on a website that aims to 'walk' along West Malling High Street (one that has thankfully remianed pretty consistent for hundreds of years) allowing people to select a property so that they can learn more about its previous occupants, what the building has been used for, any old photos, memories, etc.

I have therefore been doing some digging around and stumbled across this conversation about the Stedmans. Their business was a mainstay of the town for several decades so I am keen to see if anyone has any further information about them and specifically, related to West Malling.

I have spotted that Richard Stedman was also a printer, or at least a publisher with numerous local postcards having been produced by him as well as a couple of prints held by the British Library, so was hoping that there just may be some interesting bits and pieces hiding away!

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Also - worth keeping in mind that I live in West Malling so please feel free to make any requests that may help your research if you think I may be able to assist.

Cheers,
Matt Christmas