Author Topic: John Morgan and family  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Noycie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Morgan and family
« on: Sunday 26 October 08 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me regarding my Morgan Family, as I have hit a brick wall.

I am looking for any information regarding a John Morgan born 1833 in Prenderyn, Brecon and his family.

My line is via his son Walter born 1865 in St Petersburg, Russia. I am able to find and track him in and after the 1871 census. But I am unable to find the rest of the family in any other census before or after. Below is all the information I have regarding his parents and siblings, via the 1871 census.

1871  RG10/5319  f.16  p.25  Bedwellty, Monmouthshire
3 Budge? St

John MORGANS    Head    38    Heater?       Brecon Prenderyn
Elizabeth             Wife    35                     Carmarthen Carmarthen
Gwenllian            Daur    14    Scholar       Monmouth Rhymney
Martha               Daur    10        "  "             "  "           "  "
Walter                 Son     6       "  "          British subject  Russia St Petersburg
John                   Son     3                      Monmouth Rhymney

Any Help would be appreciated.

Regards

Clare

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Morgan and family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare

When and where did Walter marry - do you have his marriage cert & what does it say?

It should give a more reliable occupation for John or say that he's deceased.  The address would be handy too.

There are so many MORGAN(S) to choose from!  They should be in Rhymney in 1861 but I think some of that census is missing, so you might be out of luck.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 October 08 17:52 GMT (UK) »

John MORGANS    Head    38    Heater?       Brecon Prenderyn

Could it be Healer?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 October 08 18:59 GMT (UK) »
looks like Heater on the original to me, probably something to do with iron,  and the street is Bridge Street. 

I agree with Arranroots about the 1861 - they're probably on a missing bit. But if any of them, apart from Walter, are in any other census, they're well hidden.

::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Noycie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 October 08 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi 

My Morgan family were in Russia in 1865, the family story is that John was some type of Mining engineer.  With Walter being the first child of Welsh parents to be born in Russia, and he was presented with a gift from the then Tzar.

Later there was a mining town that was created near St Petersburg.

I'm afraid what other information I do have doesn't seem to help.

Walter had a daughter Gwenllian who I have conflicting dates of birth. On her marriage certificate she indicates a birth of 1888. In 1891 she is down as age 4, giving dob as circa 1887, in the 1901 she has the age 16 giving circa 1885. As there are so many Gwenllian Morgans born in the area covering that period I am once again stuck concerning getting her birth certificate.

Also according to relatives her mothers name was Rachel. Yet in the 1891 and 1901 her mother is called Mary Ann. There is   a marriage between a Walter Morgan and a Mary Ann Williams in 1888. This I presume to be correct as in 1891 there is a John Williams living with the family, down as Brother in law. But Walter could have been widowed as there is also a marriage to a Rachel Morgan in 1881.

They don't make life easy do they.

Kind regards

Clare