Author Topic: Pearly Kings and Queens  (Read 6351 times)

Offline modette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pearly Kings and Queens
« on: Wednesday 02 February 05 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help me?

I have recently obtained a photo of my great grandfather and on the bottom it says

" A Jenkins original pearly king of Bethnal Green"

I have searched the internet for sites relating to pearlies, but they seem to only focus on modern pearlies, not old ones.

Has anyone got any idea where I need to look or any information on pearlies in Bethnal Green

Thank you
I am looking for info on the following names<br />Harvey             Brown<br />Jenkins             Head<br />Sheldrake        Williams<br />Moulding<br />all from the East End of London<br /><br />Also any information about a Dutch subject Albert Merles who appears on the 1901 census

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pearly Kings and Queens
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Modette,

try this site: http://www.whoohoo.co.uk/cockney-translator.asp

page down and you will find

Why do Pearly Kings & Queens cover their clothes in buttons?

Pearly gear is worn by Cockneys in festive mood, costumes with distinctive patterns of mother-of-pearl buttons. (NOTE: There is a good history of the Pearlies at www.pearlies.co.uk). Essentially, it was all started in 1875 by a young lad named Henry Croft.

What is the origin of the Pearly Kings & Queens?

Henry Croft was born in 1862 and raised in an orphanage in Somers Town, London NW1. At the age of 13, he left the orphanage to become a municipal road sweeper and rat catcher in the local market.

He worked hard and was drawn particularly to the coster mongers – a tough breed of market traders. The costers looked after one another and often, if one was in need, they would have a “whip round” (collection) for him.

The coster mongers wore “flash boy outfits” to distinguish themselves from other market traders. This involved decorating their trousers and waistcoats with a row of mother-of-pearl buttons down the seams.

Henry was fascinated by this way of life and decided he would like to help the unfortunate as well as the children back at the orphanage. He knew that in order to collect a lot of money, he needed to draw attention to himself. So he decided to go one step further with the coster’s “flash boy outfits” and totally cover a suit with mother-of-pearl buttons.

He became an instant attraction and was approached by hospitals and churches to help raise money for the poor, deaf, dumb and blind.

Eventually, there was a Pearly Family for every London Borough and thus the Pearly monarchy was born.

A statue to his memory was erected over his grave in Finchley Cemetery when he died in 1930.

and also some cockney rhyming slang !

Note also the pearly link: http://www.pearlies.co.uk
Bob

PS:
Had a quick look at www.pearlies.co.uk - enter "pearly king" in the search box, but there doesn't seem a lot on there.  Maybe it needs a more studied look .....
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline modette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Thnaks Bob

Off to have a look. Will let you know if i find anything.

As for the rhyming slang, know must of that as i had an uncle who used it all the time in conversation

Thanks again
I am looking for info on the following names<br />Harvey             Brown<br />Jenkins             Head<br />Sheldrake        Williams<br />Moulding<br />all from the East End of London<br /><br />Also any information about a Dutch subject Albert Merles who appears on the 1901 census

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 13:53 GMT (UK) »
the rhyming slang keeps growing !  watch this site for new examples : http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/

and if you haven't seen it already, this thread:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,16617.0.html
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Healman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 05 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Modette
     From looking at the list you have I would say that you are resarching the same family I am. I believe the picture you have is a Picture of Albert Jenkins son of Samuel Thomas Jenkins. In your picture is he holding the hand of Hilda Jenkins?
He is not my connection to the Jenkins but I am in touch with a young lady that is his great Granddaughter. My link to the Jenkins family is through Eliza Emily Jenkins. What information would you have on the Jenkins family? I am assuming that you are a direct descendant of Thomas via Albert. Albert Merle's was the father of Nellie Merle's who married Albert. I would be greatly interested in the Jenkins family as you have found them. I have done extensive searches and have quite a bit of information on them. Look forward to hearinf from you.
Roger Heeley
Terrace B.C.
Canada