Author Topic: Uniform?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Uniform?
« on: Sunday 26 October 08 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi:

Can anyone tell me if this is the uniform of the Northumberland Fusiliers or the Durham Light Infantry?

The man on the left is my father - it's taken about 1920/21/22.  Before he joined the regular army (Northumberland Fusliers) in 1922 he was in the Terratorial Army of the Durham Light Infantry - just would like to date this photo a bit more. 

Having just received his army papers I have some questions -

How old should he have been to be in the Terratorial Army?  On those papers his date of birth is about a year older than he actually was?  I wondered if he a told a "white lie" in order to get in?  His date of birth on the regular army records is correct.

Under medals is shown he received the L.S. & G.C.  Medals (with gratuity) and the Defence Medal - these were stolen many years ago - are they replacable?

In 1923/4 he was in Germany - why would the British Army be there then?  Peace keeping?

In the various ranks and promotions - I'm not sure what the following stands for:  A/W.O.I, A/S.M.I.  He started out as  Private (obviously) and ended up as a R.S.M. - at the end of the sheet it states he was posted to the 'Y' list in 1945, what does this mean?

At one point he was also deprived of his Lance strip for inefficiency - did that cover a multitude of sins? ;)

Sorry of all the questions!!

Linda

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 08 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if this is the uniform of the Northumberland Fusiliers or the Durham Light Infantry?
Between those two, definitely the North'd Fus.

Under medals is shown he received the L.S. & G.C.  Medals (with gratuity) and the Defence Medal - these were stolen many years ago - are they replacable?
The LSGC would have been issued personally named, so hard to replace. Defence medals on the other hand were issued unnamed, and so one is exactly the same as another.  You could pick one up fairly cheaply from any number of dealers, ebay etc etc.

In 1923/4 he was in Germany - why would the British Army be there then?  Peace keeping?
1st North'd Fus in that case I think. This was the British Army of the Rhine, an army of occupation who were in the Rhineland from 1919-29 altogether.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 October 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Neil - thank you for the answers to some of the questions.

I had no idea the British were in Germany that long after WW1.

Linda

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 October 08 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

You could enlist in the TF (Territorial Force) from the age of 17. You could enlist for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. Most men enlisted for 1 year and renewed each year.

A/WO 1 stands for Acting Warrant Officer (Class) 1. A/SMI is Acting Sergeant Major Instructor. It is usually followed by a trade, ie Musketry, Signals etc. RSM is usually the same as a Warrant Officer so did he change units? If you can find an Army List for when he held these senior NCO ranks you may find him listed. I have one pre-WW1 and they have started to list senior NCOs. They have a full set at Kew, or you could try your nearest army museum. They are also available on CD.

List Y appears to be some sort of category for men not fit for duty, prior to their final discharge. Do you have his medical record?

Ken

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 October 08 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken:

Thank you for your informative answers!!  He was just short of 17 when he enlisted in the TF, so probably okay.

He was at the Small Arms School in Hythe when he held these ranks in 1943. Unit is shown as H.  When he became RSM in 1945 Unit is shown as SAS (Small Arms School?).  The last entry is Processed to No. 6 MCU for discharge and the Posted to Y List (Class A release) is stamped on.  The record shows he was A1 on his medical exam in 1940.  As faras I know he was medically fine.

There is also a letter dated 1952 to The War Office that states he was a Pensioner without a new Code Reserve Liability and has therefore been treated as a Z man and will not be recalled.

Interesting stuff!

Thanks, Linda

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 October 08 13:57 GMT (UK) »
You will need a WW2 expert. In WW1 a Z Class Reservist was someone who was discharged but liable to be recalled if fighting started again before the peace treaty was signed. So obviously different.

Ken

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Lance Corporal...

The hardest "rank" (actually an appointment!) to get, and the easiest to lose!

"Inefficiency" just means that he may have failed a test or something, or as in TA, didn't tip up for the training and parades perhaps

The SASC website is down at the moment, but the links / emails are there...

http://www2.army.mod.uk/sasc/
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Scrimnet very much.

I have actually emailed the SASC and they found dad listed (obviously!), but very little in the way of records exist.  They do have quite a lot of old photos though and they asked me to send a photo of dad as he would have looked then, which I did, and they said they will try and find anything that exists.

Quite nice of them I thought, considering that's not exactly what they are there for!

Linda