Author Topic: Bond Street- Ipswich  (Read 18423 times)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bond Street- Ipswich
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 January 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
One of the major housing developments post-war was Chantry, which I believe was started in the 1950s.  A particularly disastrous clearance campaign in the 1960s/early 1970s resulted in the construction of Greyfriars and the demolition of a substantial number of historic properties.  At the time the plan was to move the shopping centre of Ipswich to Greyfriars, for some reason.  However, the good citizens of the town said they would not use the shopping facilities at Greyfriars and meant it.  The market was moved from the Corn Exchange to Greyfriars but soon closed through lack of custom, as did the supermarket and the other shops located there.  And as can be seen, the shopping centre of Ipswich remains where it always has been: some years ago excavations revealed that Ipswich town centre still retains the original Saxon street pattern.

Blowing my own trumpet here, but, recently I got a star letter published in the East Anglian Daily Times regarding the entire fiasco of the Civic Drive/Matthews St/Greyfriars debacle. I was asking about an expensive piece of art mounted on the wall of Welch's the chemist shop at the bottom of Berners St. I just wanted to know if it had gone up in value...agreat big debate thus ensued, invariably by phone, my fault for putting my name to it, but, it stills raises peoples hackles when it's mentioned.
  What a farce on behalf of the 'expert' Council policies. The supermarket you mention was Pricerite, they had free rental for two years and still lost a packet. walls had been built for shops, but one could walk throught them anytime and so...the fountains at the underground carpark worked for about two weeks, another statue was moved to a roundabout where a driver risks an impact if trying to see it. The entire Civic Centre has now been pulled down, the top storey of the Matthews St complex has been gone for years, another multi-storey carpark in Crown St has been dismantled as it was dangerous etc, etc...need I go on...my sister always says she was born in East Anglia and not Ipswich as it embarrasses her, I really cannot blame her.....
Seward (Linc'shire) (W. London)
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 January 11 23:30 GMT (UK) »
I have to question the logic of this, but, the Saxon Shoe Shop discovered down near the docks, was actually in a graveyard of a redundant church, it's still there, but, the name is unknown to me at present, however, the mighty developers gave the archeaologists a time frame to explore before it was filled in to make, yes, a carpark...it still is a carpark  :-\
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 01 January 11 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Dear BM,

As my OH and I read the EADT every day, and often cut out and save historical items for future reference - I now know who you are  :D

Blowing my little owd trumpet, I did have a look at said 'work of art' whilst walking to BBC Radio Suffolk for an interview with Lesley. 

Why not sell it, I am sure any ill gotten gains could be usefully employed.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 02 January 11 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I remember all the objections to that piece of 'art' on Welch's the chemists and  I was one of the objectors.....  Gosh, that was a long time ago.  I was living in St George's Street at the time.   I also remember, following the Greyfriars fiasco, that the council then wanted to drive a motorway through the town, and I was involved with the campaign against that as well.  Fortunately we won that one, or even more historic buildings would have been destroyed.  It is over twenty years since I left Ipswich - I expect I would get lost there now!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 02 January 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear BM,

As my OH and I read the EADT every day, and often cut out and save historical items for future reference - I now know who you are  :D

Blowing my little owd trumpet, I did have a look at said 'work of art' whilst walking to BBC Radio Suffolk for an interview with Lesley. 

Why not sell it, I am sure any ill gotten gains could be usefully employed.

Pat ...

There is some sort of controversy over where the money went for the rather easily constructed 'objet dart'. I will not go into specifics, but there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff went on at the time... :-X >:(
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 02 January 11 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 02 January 11 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Interesting link, BM - loads of interesting stories on there!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 02 January 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Very interesting to find this thread.  I have a will belonging to my 3 x great Grandfather, Simon TURNER b.1811 Ipswich, Suffolk.  He was a master carpenter/builder, and it appears he built many houses.  Some in St Helens St, 8 houses in Bond St and 8 more houses at the back of Bond St etc etc

I am trying to obtain two photographs from the RO in Suffolk, and they also have two sale catalogues of properties in Rivers St, and Woodbridge Rd. (They want about £55.00 for it all eeek!)  When he died, in 1883, he left all the houses to two of his children, one of them being my Gt Gt Grandfather.  All of them were sold, and from what I can ascertain, none of them exist anymore. :(
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire