Author Topic: Anyone know of any An***try freebies?  (Read 2072 times)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone know of any An***try freebies?
« on: Monday 27 October 08 23:23 GMT (UK) »
An***try used to occassionally offer 3 day free access, but I haven't noticed any of these offers for a l-o-n-g time.

Has anyone heard if or when they intend to offer this again?

(I have a couple of little things to look up so not worth subscribing at the moment and a couple of days access would be useful  ;) ... )

Offline emberry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know of any An***try freebies?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I haven't heard of any freebies apart from the 14 day free trial that is always available - but have you thought of going to your local library? Many libraries subscribe to the libraries version of An***try and the use of their public computers is generally free  :) - it is in my local library, anyway.
Amanda

Offline leighton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 15:38 GMT (UK) »
According to the Autumn update from An***try, their WW1 record collection is free during the whole month of November.

Explore key online World War One record collections FREE in November
At this time of remembrance, we want to help everyone find out about the sacrifices made by their World War One ancestors. Thatīs why, for the entire month of November, we are waiving our usual charges for searching and viewing of our World War One Service and Pensions records and the World War One Medal Index Cards collection.

leighton

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 16:10 GMT (UK) »

Explore key online World War One record collections FREE in November
At this time of remembrance, we want to help everyone find out about the sacrifices made by their World War One ancestors. Thatīs why, for the entire month of November, we are waiving our usual charges for searching and viewing of our World War One Service and Pensions records and the World War One Medal Index Cards collection.

It'd be nice if they ever updated the Service Records!! I'm waiting for the names at the end of the alphabet to be put online, and I think I'll probably be waiting till the end of time, the rate they're going at the moment!  >:(

Glen

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys. I've already used up my 14 day freebie ... I'll have a look at the WW1 records, though there's only one person in my research who participated.

Yes, Amanda, I have used A******y at my local library - trouble is they only let you book it for a certain period of time, and I perfer to settle down at the computer for days at a time .... and of course I usually leave some of my notes at home  ;D  .....

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have been keeping an eye out for those freebies.  I have spent enough on vouchers etc at this stage and just have bits and pieces to look up.  But one 'look up' tends to lead to another .....There seemed to be specials last year and the year before.  Can you not avail of the 14 trial a second time? you could try using a different email ac if not... :)  I just object to the credit card details being taken in advance.

Perhaps when the 1911 census goes up online I will be tempted back for a bit!

I do not live in Britain and our library service has no access to Ancestry but must check up on library near to where GB rellies live for when on a visit though would have to borrow a card as limited to residents of town etc.
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I think the idea of giving your credit card details is twofold:
They hope you will forget to cancel before the 14 days has expired, so they can charge an annual fee.

and

They need to be able to monitor the 14 day free trials, so that you don't take the trial more than once.

I suppose there are many people who have numerous credit cards, so I'm not sure if they are able to take numerous free trials.  :-\

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 November 08 10:43 GMT (UK) »
 I've now sorted out those couple of things I needed to look up.  ;D

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Not much point having a freebie at the moment as it is not working properly these days ::)  Besides I think their servers would crash completely if they had another freebie right now.  Come to think of it that's probably why they haven't done one in a while ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk