Author Topic: photos RAF service records?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
photos RAF service records?
« on: Tuesday 28 October 08 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am desperately trying to find ONE - just one - photo of my estranged grandad...his son has never seen a photo of him. I have just got his Naval records and no joy there - as I was told there wouldnt be - but i wondered if RAF records would have a photo perhaps??

Does anyone know?

Plus he was in the RAF post 1945 so  thought there might be more chance
Thanks
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: photos RAF service records?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Photographs are rare in service files, generally only for aircrew (though not always then either). If you have units and dates, then it is worth posting them here as someone from them may be able to help. And some units are better served by squadron associations and websites than others - so there maybe group pictures around

K

Offline kalasira

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 November 08 23:20 GMT (UK) »
hi just read your message about what was your dad,s name and what did he do in the war,the reason,s i am asking is i have quite a few photo,s and some of them have the name on them,my dad was in the r,a,f,and piloted Lancaster bombers,and was also a bomb aimer,you never no.any way hope to her from you soon,Jacquie.
iles,from kingswood bristol,gloucershire ,fudge,hawkins,crotty,powell,yates.,also kingswood,bristol.
fogg,from manchester,and hossock.from manchester.
dinsmore,devlin,larkin,patterson,McArthur,mahood,from belfast,antrim,.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 08 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for replying. His name was Desmond Salter (or perhaps Robert Desney as he changed his name around tihs time) but most probably it was still Desmond. He was born in 1918 In Chelsea, London. I'm not sure what he did in RAF...I know for sure he was based at RAF Melksham and that he was formerly in Royal Navy as a dental mechanic. As far as I know he's supposed to have done a runner from the RAF...like he did with pretty much everything in his life really lol

Any help would be fantastic!

thanks
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline kalasira

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 01:22 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your reply i will look out the photo,s to-morrow of the Lancaster in 2nd war,i also had an uncle who was in the Navy in submarine,s but got bombed and ended up in a p.o.w,camp don,t know where  cos he never would talk about it cos i have no information on him only photo,s, hear from you soon,from Jacquie.
iles,from kingswood bristol,gloucershire ,fudge,hawkins,crotty,powell,yates.,also kingswood,bristol.
fogg,from manchester,and hossock.from manchester.
dinsmore,devlin,larkin,patterson,McArthur,mahood,from belfast,antrim,.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 December 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kalasira, ten years ago you offered help with this post (I am returning to try and solve this mystery after a break myself of ten years). I wondered if you were still around and able to see if any of the photos you had were that of my grandad?

Many thanks
Alison

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 December 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
ali607, kalasira was last active on Rootschat  Friday 23 November 12, so it is possible they are not around still.

AC