Author Topic: HITCHCOX Family  (Read 13795 times)

Offline Sandra Skinner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HITCHCOX Family
« on: Wednesday 29 October 08 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information about the family of Marmaduke Hitchcox. Marriage, siblings, children etc. He was my husband's gggg grandfather. His son George Albert Hitchcox came here to Australia in 1854-1856. Have entry from 1841 census. Hoping s'one else may be researching this family and we can share our knowledge.In the census an Elizabeth Hime is mentioned. Not sure if this is his wife or mother in law or sister in law.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hitchcox
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Aged 45 in 1841 and shown as not b Buckinghamshire which was where he was living at that time.  Birthyear would be around 1796 

www.familysearch.org

MARMADUKE HITCHCOCKS   Christening:  25 MAR 1796   Chadlington, Oxford

Father:  SAMUEL HITCHCOCKS   Mother:  SARAH
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 22:23 GMT (UK) »
and again from www.familysearch.org

MARMADUKE HITCHCOK   Spouse:  ELIZA MARY HEINE   Marriage:  19 SEP 1825   West Wycombe, Buckingham

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sandra Skinner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 22:33 GMT (UK) »
  :) :) :) Thanks Carol. Had the marriage but not the birth. Still wondering if the Elizabeth Hime in the census is his wife. If so can't understand why she would have used her maiden name.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 22:51 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 - Elizabeth is not shown under Marmaduke - his daughter Maria is.  This is usually a sign that he was a widower

Elizabeth is (I think) 50 and shown as of independent means so I doubt she is the Eliza he married but could possibly be his mother in law if Eliza was a lot younger than him

Offline Sandra Skinner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree. I will persevere. Perhaps if she is alive in the 1851 census I might have some luck. Will look next time I go to the family history centre.
Thanks once again for your help.
Sandra  :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 October 08 00:03 GMT (UK) »
I've checked the 1851 and came up with this entry for Bedfordshire - just a VERY longshot!!

Thomas Hine 69 surveyor and land valuer b Bedfordshire
Elizabeth 64 b Bucks Filgrove

As Elizabeth would have been 54 in 1841, her age would have been rounded down to 50 and with a husband with that occupation she would have certainly been of independent means

Offline Sandra Skinner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 October 08 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks sounds promising, I'll see if I can trace Eliza Mary back to them.  :)

Offline David Austin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 December 08 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
I am a Hitchcox from Banbury Oxon.
Although I have not found a link with me I have been looking at the Marmadukes of which there are several. They appear from My part of the world just into Northamptonshire in Middleton Cheney.
I note that yours at Great Marlow was a saddler as the Hitchcox's from Middleton are also Saddlers and have Marmadukes in their line. the first I have found is Richard Hitchcox Mrd. 1765 In Middleton to Mary Maltus. he was a saddler as were some of his childrenhe he has a Marmaduke who was born and died 1774/5. The Marmadukes continue through in our area untill one born in 1924. I also looked at Shoreditch and found Menella (on 1841 census Great Marlow) Marrying a Samuel Harris in 1853.
There were also 3 chldren born and dying in Shoreditch at this time Elizabeth Heine Hitchcox B& D 1850, Marmaduke George B&D1851/2 Sands B&D 1853. also a Maria who appears to have lived 1854. David Hitchcox