Author Topic: HITCHCOX Family  (Read 13807 times)

Offline Maureen2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HITCHCOX Family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 June 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra and and Nanette,
Sandra, can you please try to find out more about "the little French grandmother" from your husband's mother? (When/where she lived in the UK, etc.?) The Chapmans (Elizabeth nee Chapman Heine's relatives) spent quite a few years living in France, mainly in Tours and possibly other areas and I've wondered if there were links there. Surnames include Chapman and Horan, but I've also found connections with French surnames.
Thanks,
Maureen 

Offline Nanette51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 June 10 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Maureen,  I'm interested in the 'little French grandmother' too.  I understand we have you to thank for the photo of the Marmaduke and Eliza Hitchcox grave-stone in Marlowe...Merci!  Sandra and I now in personal contact so lots more sleuthing and sharing to be done.

Offline Nanette51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 12 June 10 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra
I am a Hitchcox from Banbury Oxon.
Although I have not found a link with me I have been looking at the Marmadukes of which there are several. They appear from My part of the world just into Northamptonshire in Middleton Cheney.
I note that yours at Great Marlow was a saddler as the Hitchcox's from Middleton are also Saddlers and have Marmadukes in their line. the first I have found is Richard Hitchcox Mrd. 1765 In Middleton to Mary Maltus. he was a saddler as were some of his childrenhe he has a Marmaduke who was born and died 1774/5. The Marmadukes continue through in our area untill one born in 1924. I also looked at Shoreditch and found Menella (on 1841 census Great Marlow) Marrying a Samuel Harris in 1853.
There were also 3 chldren born and dying in Shoreditch at this time Elizabeth Heine Hitchcox B& D 1850, Marmaduke George B&D1851/2 Sands B&D 1853. also a Maria who appears to have lived 1854. David Hitchcox
Hi David - the Maria who 'appears to have lived' came with her parents to Australia sometime between 1854 and 1856 (can't find them on the passenger lists so we don't know yet which ship).  That's her (the older woman) in the photo Sandra has posted - she's our great grandmother - married Jacob Derrett.  George Hitchcox and wife Elizabeth and another two children after arriving in NSW - Eliza lived (at least till 29 yrs of age) and Richard died after 9 days. Thanks for your pieces to the jigsaw puzzle. Nanette

Offline Maureen2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 June 10 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Nanette and David,
Nanette - Do you have the photos of all three Chapman/Heine/Hitchcock gravestones at Marlow? There are other Hitchcock/x gravestones at Marlow but I haven't found them yet.
David - Do you have a Martha Hitchcock (the surname was spelled Hitchcok/ck/cks/x in the various records) born about 1779 in your family records? Although she married in London, as mentioned in an earlier posting, I suspect that she was part of the same family as yours. There are no Marmadukes in this line though.
Maureen

Offline david68

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 January 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Marmaduke and Eliza Mary Hitchcox are my g,g,g,g grandparents. As I understand it, their eldest daughter, Maria, married Thomas Bowman at Great Marlow in 1851. Maria and Thomas came to Australia on the ship "Herefordshire" and arrived in New South Wales on 10 December 1853. Maria died at Waverley in Sydney on 29 September 1875. Thomas died at Waverley on 31 December 1876.

I would be most grateful for any information or photographs relating to the Hitchcox, Heine or Chapman families of which Marmaduke and Eliza Mary Hitchcox are descended.

Offline bennever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 11:31 BST (UK) »
Arriving late to the party again!  Apologies if this is old news but Martha Hitchock/Hitchcox was christened in Gt Marlow in 1830 (IGI) and married George Lipscomb in 1849, dying in 1853.  They had one daughter Elizth Charlotte Chapman Lipscomb.  George remarried after Martha's death to Selina Mealing and their daughter, Alma, married a Collins whose daughter, also Alma, married an Ennever.  There may be something of interest in this branch at www.ennever.com.  Kind rgds
Ennever Eniver Hannaway Tadman and all Ennever-related families (or see www.ennever.com)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Charlotte Chapman Lipscombe had a daughter Mary Ann in 1872 in Lambeth and then married Charles Dance on 6 Jun 1876 at Lambeth Emmanuel, dying in 1881 in Lambeth Registration District.  So far I don't have anything on daughter Mary Ann after the 1881 census.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Maureen2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra and Nanette,
Have you been able to find out more about "the little French grandmother"?
Thanks,
Maureen