Author Topic: Allen family (Colwall)  (Read 21642 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Allen family (Colwall)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 18:19 GMT (UK) »
This is the link that I wrote about above. Here you can see that there were a few couples surnamed Allen in the early 1800's who were procreating and christening their children. One of these couples is Thomas and Sarah Allen, and although there is no mention on their "abode" for the first few children, there is such a note for Margaret Allen, for example (Oct 12 1817) whose parents (Thomas and Sarah) do not live in Colwall but in Evendine... Did they move, or is it a different couple altogether? Rather lost here...
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline The snooper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cimbrio,

Tis me again.

The source I have for the info I have given you is only an index and there is no other information.

The entry for the Edward and Ann it just says WDR against Edward and WD father name against Ann. -This means that Ann's maiden name (or fathers name - the same thing) was Lewis.

Yes you can get the certificates for these events (after 1837) which will give you more information. The basic fee is 7 UK pounds per certificate and it can be done on line.

If you are interested in getting some send me a Personal Message and I will talk you through the procedures.

Cheers

The Snooper
Surnames being researched
FLORIDA/ANSTEE - Anywhere in UK,
YOUNG - Somerset and S Wales,
CLUCAS - IoM  and London,
BROOKS - Somerset and London,
MOULD - Northants,
EVEREST - Sussex,
CHARLES - S Wales,
CROSBY - London,
JAQUES - York,
FLETCHER - Welsh borders,
MAGGS - Somerset,
LAWRENCE- Pembroke,
PREECE - Herefordshire,
TAUBMAN - IoM,
CRIDLAND - Somerset,
BENGOUGH - Herefordshire,
BARTRAM - Notts and Sheffield

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 November 08 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Just a bit of local knowledge here - Evendine is a road in Colwall so giving an address there would still mean they were of the same village.

I have several instances of my own where sometimes the address is just the village and other times they are more specific - does not necessarily mean a different family.

netti
AMES-london*ARROWSMITH-herefordshire*TUDGE-worcestershire*NOCTOR-wexford

All census information Crown Copyright
from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Doffy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 August 09 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
Edward born 1803  and Ann had
Ann bapt 14.4.1838
John bapt 14.8.1842
William Henry bapt 16.3.1845
Clara bapt 8.4.1849

Robert Allen  born 1821  aged 38 widower.. publican, Colwall.father Thomas Allen, Farmer....  married  Judith Bond, widow, Colwall... father Thomas Knight Cook, Farmer

Joseph Allen born 1809, Labourer, married Hannah Lewis, servant, no parents listed.
children
 Anne bapt 31.3.1844.St James the Great Colwall
Joseph Herbert bapt 24.6.1850 St James the Great,Colwall

Sarah born 1844, married George Hooper, Carpenter..father George Hopper, Carpenter
children
Hannah bapt 21.6.1846
William bapt18.1849
George Thomas Henry bapt 18.6.1854 all at St James

There is an entry  George Ernest bapt 19.8.1877 parents George Henry and Sarah Elizabeth Hooper

Henry Allen was awitness at my gg granfather wedding Henry Willoughby and Sarah Smith in 1845
William J Allen and Elizabeth
poss children
Phyllis E J Dec 1911 ref 6a 757 Ledbury
Gerald W mar 1914 ref 6a 765 Ledbury

Yes Evendine  or Evendine Lane  is Colwall. comes from the village

All the best Dorothy

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 August 09 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy!

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. Thanks ever so much for the photos and all that information, I just checked what I had and I was able to fill in a few gaps. Amazing to see, by the way, that one of my relatives was a witness at the wedding of your ancestors! By the way, you are right, Gerald and Phyllis were my great-aunt and great-uncle, brother and sister of my late grandmother. I didn't know about two of the Hooper children, I'll see if I can find anything else on then. Do you mind re-sending the christening date of William Hooper, it just says 18.1849, I think the month must be missing. I'll see if I can find something myself. Though it's fairly unreliable, I have been able to trace the Allen family back several generations more... And I would LOVE to find out more on Robert, who married a woman many years older than he was.

Best regards from Spain

Cimbrio
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline Doffy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 August 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Crimbrio
I am sorry but I made a mistake . George and Sarah only had 1 child George Thomas Henry Hooper bapt 18 Jun 1854. I looked on the Bishops Transcripts and there was another George and ? Hopper had the other 2 children. When I doubled checked the Parish Registers it was George and Anne Hooper. That Will teach me to double check.
But George H T was their child.

He married 8 Jul 1876. St James the Great. Colwall
"George Henry Thomas Hooper, 22, bachelor,occupation Artizan, address Plumstead. Father George Hooper Artizan
Sarah Elizabeth Jones,23, Spinster, address Colwall,  farther Thomas Jones, Farmer

Witness Joseph George Gale, Ellen Williams, G Hooper and Sarah Hooper.
"Old Occupations" ... Artizan ... One who is employed in any of the industrial arts; a mechanic, handicraftsman, artificer.

They had 3 children that I can find :-
George Ernest bapt 19 Aug 1877 parents GHT & Sarah Hooper, Colwall. Carpenter
Frank bapt  23 Mar 1879 parents ( it says Henry and Sarah Elizabeth Hooper), Colwall, Tradesman
Frederick bapt 10 or 16 Jan 1881. parents  George Thomas Henry and Elizabeth Hooper, Colwall, Carpenter

Sarah was bapt 7 July 1814 parents Thomas and Sarah Allen.

I was in Colwall last Thursday, God it is beautiful on a sunny day.
A bit rough in the winter, no CH, washing machines and tumble dryers.
They must have had legs like mountain goats.
Any way I took some photos I will post them for you when I put them on the computer.

I have info about Robert and Judith I will post it to you tomorrow.
Have had enough now, hard day at work.
All the best Doffy

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 August 09 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Doffy!

Thanks a lot, I've checked my info and corrected the previous mistakes, thanks anyway!

All I know about Robert is that he married once before marrying a woman much older than he. Her name was Judith Bond (née Cooke). He was born in 1821, and she in 1798; she lived until 1893, and he till 1900. I don't know why they would have married, but all I can think of is material. But who knows. I'd like to know who his first wife was, and whether he had any children (I can only guess his second marriage was childless).

There is also another sister, Margaret, who died shortly after marrying a man called Thomas Croft. I don't know what she died of, but perhaps it may have been childbirth. If so, I don't know what the child's name was, if it ever did exist.

I was in Colwall a couple of years ago (my dad's grandparents are buried there). Very nice place, would love to go back and do a better search of the gravestones.

I actually think all the Allens in Colwall are related; I've studied my line's ancestors and completed collateral lines, and it seems they were all cousins. I wonder if we still have relatives over there, since it's such a small place...

Best regards!

Cimbrio

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 February 10 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello all :)

Trying to find out more about my great-grandfather's brother and sisters.

According to the family bible, John Allen and Jane (née Davis), from Colwall, Herefordshire, had several children; there is some confusion as to names and dates, which sometimes don't fully coincide with the census entries. I hope someone can help me to find out which is the right piece of information.

As I don't live in the UK I can't check the facts personally.

Thanks very much for your help:

Annie Marie ALLEN, b. April 27th 1868 Colwall; she apparently died young.
Ada Mary ALLEN, b. August 23rd 1869 Colwall
Ellen Jane ALLEN, b. December 6th 1870 Colwall
Rose Fanny ALLEN, b. September 27th 1872 Hockley (Warwickshire); why she was born there I have no idea...
William John ALLEN, b.August 8th 1876 Colwall (my great-grandfather).
Maria Annie ALLEN, b. August 8th 1876 (above's twin), she died in March 1877.
Thomas ALLEN, b.September 23rd 1878.
Eva Ann ALLEN, b. December 1879 (this I'm not sure about as I don't think I got this from the family bible, so worth checking).

The 1881 census however says that John and Jane (name wrongly assumed to be June) are living with five children:

Ada ALLEN      Daur  11 Colwall, Hereford, England      Scholar      
 Ellin J. ALLEN      Daur  10  Colwall, Hereford, England      Scholar      
 Rose F. ALLEN  Daur 8      Aston, Warwick, England      Scholar      
 William J. ALLEN  Son  4    Colwall, Hereford, England      Scholar      
 Tom ALLEN      Son  3  Colwall, Hereford, England      Scholar 

So it would imply that Ada was born roughly in 1870, Ellin/Ellen in 1871, Rose in 1873, William in 1877 and Tom in 1878, which more or less coincides with what the Bible says.

However, I can only find the death entry for the twin Maria Annie (as Annie Maria) in MAR 1877 aged 0 years, but no trace of Eva or the elder sister. Perhpas I'm wrong in assuming the eldest daughter died, and she was living elsewhere in 1881... Anyway, it's a bit confusing but if there's any way of checking the 1871 census and the 1891 census, or any other source to find out what happened to these children, I'd be very grateful.

And no birth entry of Ellen Jane in 1870, only Eva Ann ???

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 February 10 10:19 GMT (UK) »
More news:

I don't think Eva Ann existed, or rather, she did, but she was called Ellen Jane (that's what the family bible and the 1881 census says).

I've found a 1881 census entry for Annie M. Allen from Colwall, aged 12 (so she would have been born around 1869, which fits), living with her grandfather John MAISEY (?); can anyone check if that's the right surname please? I know the children's maternal grandfather was John Davies, perhpas his surname was wrongly transcribed; and his age would fit...