Author Topic: Champion family  (Read 18355 times)

Offline Flora1966

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Champion family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Retrisher..

Thomas Champion 1848 is my 2x Gt Grandfather..I have alot of info on the Champions, birth/ marriage/ death certs plus some photos and a photo of what was once Whittington House...

Jules...
Sussex-  MADGWICK, PONT, MITCHELL, COATES, WHEATLEY, NEWTON, COLLINS.
Kent - HALL, WARMAN, BOORN, STREDWICK, COLE, FILMER.
Suffolk - RAMUS, RUDLAND, DICKERSON, ASBEE.
Hampshire - MADGWICK, PEAKE, VARNDELL, CHAMPION, HINES, HELMS, GOSSLING.
London - PITT, RAMUS, BOOTE,
S Africa - VAN STAADEN, WATKINS, SLATER
Australia - MADGWICK, RAMUS, NEWTON.

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 17:52 GMT (UK) »
James Champion and Elizabeth Taylor are my 4th gt grandparents, so I will be very interested in any responses to Retrisher's inquiry as to James' parentage.

Also, does anyone know who Elizabeth's parents were?

:)

Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline piddington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah & William
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi All Champion researchers

Retrisher thankyou for your kind offer with my homechild but I was lucky  I found what I needed on my grandmother through the Barnardo home. I ordered her records which gave me amazing backround information. To answer your question I don't know where I first got the idea that James Champion was the son of Francis. Thomas Charles is my 4th grandfather. Proving anything back that far is really hard to do.After your post I did look back in my records and did see that I had made a note on the 2nd James just incase.
  Sasha I too would love to hear from you through a PM as anything I can add to this family would be great.

PS looks like I have a bunch of new rellies in here
                                                                                    Piddington
Piddington from Buckingham, Hopkins from Tillington & Petworth, Sussex and Ontario Canada, Hooper from Channel Islands, Greatrix or Gratrix, Bristow, Watchorne, Poole and Heron from Lincolnshire, England and Hastings and Simcoe Co, Ontario. Oak, Whitehorn, Jago from Devon & Hampshire, Mason, Coleman & Peake From Portsmouth & Portsea

Offline piddington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah & William
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 23:55 GMT (UK) »
To add to retrisher's possible siblings for Ann Latter Day Saints also had
Ann 1 Oct 1815 Titchfield
Sarah 5 Mar 1826 Titchfield
Joseph 20 Jul 1823 Titchfield

Would love to hear who John Bennett the father married  Ann ?
Piddington from Buckingham, Hopkins from Tillington & Petworth, Sussex and Ontario Canada, Hooper from Channel Islands, Greatrix or Gratrix, Bristow, Watchorne, Poole and Heron from Lincolnshire, England and Hastings and Simcoe Co, Ontario. Oak, Whitehorn, Jago from Devon & Hampshire, Mason, Coleman & Peake From Portsmouth & Portsea

Offline Retrisher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 December 10 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi All;
I am not sure on parentage of Elizabeth Taylor. Many people have her birth as 1763 in Kingsclere, but again I do not know whether this is accurate. There were several Elizabeth Taylors baptised in Kingsclere around that time, but Elizabeth's burial record of 1802 shows her as being 44 which puts her DOB around 1758, so next I question the Kingsclere location. How do we know this? I am at brick wall stage in my tree so am going back checking my sources and trying to sort facts backed by actual records from assumptions.
Ann Bennett's parents; only records of a John Bennett I could find were a baptism 2 Apr 1797 in Andover and 1841 & 1851 census records for John Bennett in Andover area. There is a marriage to an Ann Reynolds in Brockenhust in 1813 but this would make John only 17 if it is same John as above.  Also Titchfield would have been quite a distance from Andover so not 100% convinced this is our John.
Hampshire; Heath, Champion. Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire; Wilkinson, Palmer. Leicestershire; Palmer

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 December 10 09:46 GMT (UK) »
A couple of submitted LDS entries state that Elizabeth was born in 1763 and was "of Odiham".

:-\
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 December 10 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone seen a parish register entry of James's marriage to Elizabeth Taylor, his first wife, that gives the name of his father?

Parish register entries of marriages do not record parents' names at this date.

Where was John Bennett apparently born according to the 1851 census, and his age?

(Sorry - I've lost track of what you know and what you would like to find out  :-[ )

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Retrisher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 December 10 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nell for reminder about parish records, I had forgotten. Now I guess we are stuck without proof of James Champion's parentage unless someone finds a Family Bible.
We know Ann's father was John Bennett from Ann's marriage record and we know Ann's mother was Ann from the IGI Christening records of Ann & siblings. Possible census entries for John:
1851: John b. 1796 Grateley. I don't think this is John we are looking for as children are listed as born in Quarley, not Titchfield.
1841: I think are different John b 1786, & wife Ann b 1791 both Hampshire may be a possibility, but still not sure. Also do not think the marriage from 1813 I found applies to either of these Johns because of the underage and parental consent need for Ann. The 1841 Ann wouldn't need it and wouldn't the 1851 John have needed it himself or did it only apply to females?
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
Hampshire; Heath, Champion. Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire; Wilkinson, Palmer. Leicestershire; Palmer

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 December 10 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Now I really am confused.

Can I summarise what I think is trying to establish here:

Ann Bennett, daughter of John, married Thomas Champion in 1842.  This was her second marriage.

Her first husband was named Varndell.  Ann Bennett married John Varndall/Varnhall/Verndell in Alverstoke in 1833.  They returned to Bishops Waltham area where their children were born.  Ann would have been 18 when she first married.

Ann who married Thomas, was born in 1815, in Titchfield.

A John Bennett married Ann Budden in Titchfield 9 July 1809.  But at the moment I don't see any children born to this couple before Ann in 1815  :-\  So maybe not the right marriage.

(Have we now strayed away from Champion to Bennett - would it be better to split with a link?)

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk