Author Topic: Witches and Ghosts in the family  (Read 6573 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Witches and Ghosts in the family
« on: Friday 31 October 08 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone else found witches and ghosts in their family history?

1592 Mother Atkins of Pinner - A most wicked work of a wretched witch ( the like whereof none can record these many years in England) wrought on the person of one Richard Burt, servant to Master Edling of Woodhall in the parish of Pinner in the county of Middlesex, a mile beyound Harrow. Lately committed in March 1592

Master Edling was either an ancestor or his son.

I believe that Market Harborough Theatre which was originally constructed in 1935 as a bicycle store for the Corset factory, but disguised as an old town house, was built on the site of the Green Dragon Inn.  It is also said to be haunted by the ghost of Hannah Buswell who was murdered in the Inn.

Hannah was probably related to my Buswell ancestors in Market Harborough.

David

Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Witches and Ghosts in the family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 October 08 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

My OH is convinced I am descended from a witch, I have certain 'skills' that he reckons 500 years ago I would have been burnt alive for  ;D

I haven't managed to find any sign of her yet though.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline vic1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 October 08 19:59 GMT (UK) »
my daughters (21 and17) and my neices (12 and 7) think my sister is a witch she's a bit of an old hippie type has long straggly hair a hairy chin and the bit the clinches it for my two  a cackling laugh and the warped sense of humour - also has tried to encourage them to attend  raves and festivals with her. maybe she is  better not cross her had i
pembrokeshire Coates,Rees, Williams
galmorgan Coates Williams Francis
brecknock stephens Driscoll lewis Webb Jones price
herefordshire Jones page savager price carwardine
radnorshire Rees savager Jones

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 October 08 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Katherine Howe and Widow Howe were both tried and hanged as witches in Essex in the late 1500s. At the moment, I have no proof that I am linked to them but the area they came from suggests that it is quite likely.

That and the ability to steer a broomstick ;D ;D ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 November 08 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

My OH is convinced I am descended from a witch, I have certain 'skills' that he reckons 500 years ago I would have been burnt alive for  ;D

Kerry

Only if you'd lived in Scotland, Kerry.  In England they'd have hanged you, so that's OK then isn't it??  I'd probably have been hanged before you, a. because I'm interested in using natural remedies like lavender and b. because I talk more to animals than to humans!   ;D
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Exiled Mancunian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 November 08 18:02 GMT (UK) »
At least animals don't answer back, though some of ours are getting good at throwing withering looks!

Exiled Mancunian
Lancashire: Platt, Peckett, Gradwell, Garlick, Roscoe, Redmayne, Calvert, Jagger
Cheshire: Roscoe, Edge
Yorkshire: Jagger

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 November 08 00:00 GMT (UK) »
My kids used to think I was a bit "witchy" when they were younger because I used a lot of herbal remedies. I talked to the veggies (I still do!) and constantly talked to my animals. Just recently, my younger daughter got some funny looks when she told her colleagues "Mum's been making comfrey and marigold ointments for years. She drinks feverfew tea for headaches and fennel tea for stomach upsets."
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lornadoone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 November 08 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
     I would imagine that a lot of Rootschatters are familiar with the Salem Witchtrials of 1692.Well, whilst researching my family history i discovered that a certain family member had been significantly involved in the trials, his name .... Giles Cory.

It was his wife Martha who was tried for Witchcraft and was later hanged. Because of his refusal to enter a plea of guilt , Giles was tried and sentenced to death . He was tortured by being pressed by '' heavy stones'',  he was the only person in the state of Massachussetts to have met with this fate.

Giles Cory was born in Harpole, Northants, England and was a cousin of my 6x Gt Grandmother Sarah Cory.

Jenny

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:07 GMT (UK) »
At least animals don't answer back, though some of ours are getting good at throwing withering looks!

Exiled Mancunian

I had a cat once who on at least one occasion gave me an unmistakable "you're nuts!" look.  I was waiting for a friend to arrive for a visit, and while I waited I noticed a photo of a friend I hadn't heard from in ages.  I said to the photo "You haven't called me in MONTHS!  Why haven't you called me, you sod!"  And carried on in this vein until I turned round and saw my tomcat standing in the doorway, looking at me with such a worried expression on his face.  You could just see what he was thinking as clearly as if he'd had one of those speech balloons above his head :  "Oh no, Mum's flipped.  They're going to take her away. What am I going to DO??"

;D ;D ;D ;D
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley