Author Topic: Henrys of Derry County - Pre 1800  (Read 36753 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henrys of Derry County - Pre 1800
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 19:36 BST (UK) »
Birdenia,
             I live in the area of the farm known as "Flower Hill" and because of the interest raised by this posting have located what I think is the farm in question using the Griffith's valuation map of 1858/9 when the farm was rented by John Henry. It is in the townland of Dirtagh in the parish of Aghanloo and can be accessed from what is now called Windy Hill Road, previously known locally as the Murder Hole Road because of the activities of an old brigand called Cushy Glen. This is the old coach road from Limavady to Coleraine. A good view of the farm can be seen from the Bishop's Road which is on higher ground in the townland of Lisnagrib.
            If you would like details I will pass them by personal message (PM) when you have done another two postings, a requirement of this site.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Birdenia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 21 August 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
I am new to "rootschat"  so I am still learning how to do things.  I'm having trouble going to the messages.  I go to "Search" and tried putting in the subject and Dr. Henry, but it says "no matches."  Can someone tell me what else I need to do?

I thought I sent a reply to all of you two days ago, but apparently it didn't get posted.

Thank you for your ideas.  I found the coordinates of the farm, Flower Hill, on Griffiths' Valuations with a "1" next to John Henry.  When I looked on the map there was a "1a" and a "1b" but they weren't next to each other.  I didn't quite know what to make of that.  I appreciate knowing the road name and will look at my maps again.  In the Flower Hill book there is a drawing of the different fields on the farm, so I have a general idea of the shape of the farm.  There is also a drawing of the house.

I am a little confused about how the ownership of land works in Ireland.  Griffiths says John Henry was the occupier and the lessor was the Marquis of Waterford.  I'm assuming this means John Henry leased the land from the Marquis of Waterford who owned the land.  When son William Henry died, the estate papers said the estate was "sold" to Matthew McElmoyle.  Would there also be a record when William Henry got the land after his father John died?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 21 August 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
Birdenia,
             The Griffiths maps are quite difficult to navigate unless you know the area or have a comparison with a modern large scale Ordnance Survey Map. I have re-checked the Griffith original page and there is no 1a and 1b and I have also confirmed this on the map. When you look at the map and adjust the scale you should clearly see DIRTRAGH and to the west LISNAGRIB.
             Most of the land in Ireland was owned by very large landowners and let to various farmers up until the 1880s when various acts of parliament allowed farmers to start to buy the land they had leased. With almost 44 acres John Henry was a large farmer. The changes in ownership are shown in Griffith Revision Books which are available in the Public Record Office Northern Ireland (PRONI). They are made up of townlands in a particular Electoral District.
            The farm is still owned by the same family who took over from William.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 21 August 09 21:14 BST (UK) »
I am new to "rootschat"  so I am still learning how to do things.  I'm having trouble going to the messages.  I go to "Search" and tried putting in the subject and Dr. Henry, but it says "no matches."  Can someone tell me what else I need to do?
If you go to search page and put 'DrHenry' (all one word, no punctuation marks) into username box and Henrys in the word box you would probably e able to find this thread but since it's recent there are several easier ways to find it-
1) click on Derry/Londonderry board and scroll down a little bit looking for the thread
2) even easier since you've only a few posts- click on your profile, then click on your posts and find it
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Birdenia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 22 August 09 13:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the hints!

Offline Birdenia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 18:09 BST (UK) »
Were there naming patterns for the Ulster-Scots in the 1800s that might be helpful in searching for early generations or cousins in the Henry family?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Yes, there is a distinct naming pattern. First son named after the father's father, second son named after Mother's father. The third son named after the father and then the father's eldest brother and so on. A similar pattern applied to girls where the first would be named after mother's mother and so on. Be aware, this was not written in stone.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline songster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Bobby, I hope you don't mind if I try to claim you as a relation. My name is Robert Forrest, my father's name was Eddie, from Craig, Magilligan. His Daddy was Robert from Myroe. His father was George from Pound Street. His father was George from Irish Green, his wife was Annie Mullan - I believe. Yours sincerly. Robert Forrest.

Offline DrHenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 23:49 BST (UK) »
Re: Kingskerswell"s answer, second above. I received the following from a Henry researcher in the U.S. when I cited it -

"Don't put too much stock in this naming pattern. In one group of Henrys from County Londonderry/Derry, each of the men named their first son after the wife's father, and the first daughter after the wife's mother, and none of the men named their first son after their father unless he had a middle name that I don't know about!"

So Kingskerswell's caveat that it is "not written in stone" appears to be well taken.  Nevertheless, I find both versions useful as research leads.