Author Topic: Henrys of Derry County - Pre 1800  (Read 36680 times)

Offline DrHenry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henrys of Derry County - Pre 1800
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 March 09 21:42 GMT (UK) »
The History of the Henry Family of "Flower Hill" suggests that the remains of the generations "preceding our fathers" are resting in the shadow of McGillagan Rocks in the Parish Churchyard, Aghanloo, about two miles from the old Henry homestead,

Margaret Birdenia Henry and Mattie Henry Miller, the 1926 authors of “The History of the Henry Family of “Flower Hill” Ireland And Their Descendants” assert the following in their Introduction on page 6 with reference to the Rachel Henry side of the John Henry/Rachel Henry marriage in about 1787 - “We know that our ancestors came from Ayre, Scotland, across the North Channel to the North of Ireland about the time when the Covenanters came out in open hostility against Charles II and fought the battle of Pentland Hills, November 28, 1666.  Matthew Henry remembered being repeatedly told that he was a descendant of these Covenanters, who formed the first Protestant population that was introduced into Ireland.  Dr. Eliza J. Hyndman, daughter of Sarah Henry Hyndman, recalls stories of the part the Henrys played in the conflicts with the English throne but these are stories that we cannot verify by actual names and dates.“

Offline Dawn R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 July 09 08:59 BST (UK) »
I have been researching a Henry family in Australia for a number of years, and I believe they are descendants of John and Rachel Henry's son John, who was left in Ireland when they migrated to America and he later migrated to Nova Scotia as an adult. As all contact seemed to be lost between them, it is difficult to ensure they are from the same family, however, in John's death registration in 1875 his birthplace was Ireland, 1789, and his parents were listed as John and Rachel. The Australian Henrys are descended from his grandson James Dickson Henry, who travelled widely and included Australia in his travels, before ultimately ending up in California after he left his wife and two of his children in Australia. As there were no registrations for any of their four children, however, we are relying on other resources to complete the family tree. What is of interest is your mention of DNA tracking, as my husband is Philip Henry, a direct male descendant of this line (we feel). Do you have any information as to how he could carry out a DNA test to verify he is indeed descended from the Derry Henrys? It would be of value to us to know if we are looking at the right family, and also to be able to show where that missing Canadian/Australian/American link went if there is a relationship.

Offline DrHenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 July 09 15:41 BST (UK) »
I've heard previously of the Australia connection but have failed to make contact with you or whomever that contact was.  My DNA 'provider' is <https://www.familytreedna.com/>. They are probably the largest and most reliable DNA organization in the U.S.  I don't know what you know about DNA, but as a male, my DNA data go directly back to John Henry (1763-1854), his father - presumably Robert Henry, etc, etc. - and  those data are maintained by FTDNA in the Henry surname file.  The 1789 birth date of eldest son John may be problematic in that father John by at least one report first came to the U.S. in 1788.  Where do we go from here?  I am excited to have made this contact!  My email address for direct contact is <(*)>.  I am particularly interested in the California connection as that is where I presently live.  Do you have any info on the line prior to Robert Henry and Mary Woodburn?

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline DrHenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 July 09 00:57 BST (UK) »
This is in further reply to Dawn R. - who I am trying to contact - but have been unable.  Let me complicate this a bit further.  My previously reported GG GM Rachel Henry, b. about 1767 and married to my GG GF John Henry (1763-1854), was the eldest child of Matthew Henry and Jennie Long, as previously reported.  Rachel had 3 younger siblings - one was John b. abt 1771 - who married Rachel McMillan - the point being that there are TWO John Henrys, each married to a Rachel!  So this just may be clouding our data a bit - one has to be sure he/she is dealing with the 'right' John and Rachel!

Offline Dawn R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 August 09 02:19 BST (UK) »
I too have found the other John and Rachel Henry in Derry, but I don't believe them to be the parents of this particluar John Henry born in 1789 as by my information, Rachel McMillan was born in 1791, and they were not married until about 1816, and had 12 children of their own. (Incidentally, I think these are the John and Rachel referred to by Gortinanima's comments on 2 nov 2008). I have read some of the history of John Henry (1763-1854) in the book written by Heber Homer Henry in 1922, of which I am sure you are aware, and here it does mention that he first sailed to Philadelphia in 1788, but I guess it was possible he left his pregnant wife in Ireland, or even that the child was born in 1788 as 1789 is only an estimate of his birth based on his age at death in March 1875 (86 years old). This is why DNA tracking for Philip would be of interest, as it would also be a direct male line back to the Irish John Henry, and would establish if it is the right family. There are so many Johns, they can become quite confusing!

Offline DrHenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 August 09 16:03 BST (UK) »
Dawn R. - I think we are on the same track.  If you will post one more time, we can correspond directly off-line.  I can give you as much or more data than you would want about 'our' John and Rachel's children AFTER eldest son John - the one you have all the descendant data on.  Incidentally, as a child I met the author of the 1922 book, Heber Homer Henry, and I am in continuing contact with the Henry descendant who currently occupies the 1817 Bern Township farm of John Henry (1763-1854).  I also have contact with a John Henry in Canada who is a direct descendant of Robert, the younger brother of John (1763-1854).  The 1896 pic I have added to my original post is of my GF Charles (grandson of John and Rachel by their son William) and wife Kate and their 4 sons - my father, twin William M.D., is at the upper left.  I am constrained to add that today is my 82d birthday.  After all that, I believe our common interest is in more detail on John and Rachel and their ancestry - namely Robert and Mary Woodburn, etc, etc.  And while I don't fully appreciate what all we might be able to get from DNA results, I do think it would be valuable for your Husband Phillip to be tested at the 67 marker level so we could confirm our direct lines.

Offline Birdenia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 02:42 BST (UK) »
I was so excited to find this information.  Thanks to those who have contributed.  I am new at Irish research.

I can not add any new information on John Henry, d 1854, who married Rachel Henry, daughter of Matthew and Jenny Long Henry.

I am researching John Henry, d 1861, son of Matthew Henry and Jenny Long.  This John Henry married Rachel McMillan about 1815 and had 12 children, 11 of whom moved to the US between 1836 and 1860.  One son, William Henry, remained on the farm - Flower Hill - with John and Rachel McMillan Henry.   The Henry Family of Flower Hill Ireland is primarily about the 12 children  and their descendants.  A few short chapters in the beginning give some of the Irish background of the family, but Dr. Henry has related most of that.

Some acquaintances of William Henry, d 1891, are mentioned in his estate papers, but there is no mention of any Henrys or earlier generations.  William's brother Dr. James Henry was the executor.  Our line runs from this James Henry.

Gortinanima mentioned a headstone in Aghanloo on 2 Nov 2008.  This would be the headstone of John Henry who married Rachel McMillan (according to the "Flower Hill" book).  Next month my husband and I are traveling to Ireland. We hope to visit the cemetery, church - Limavady First, and "Flower Hill" farm in Co Londonderry.

Where did John (d 1854) and his wife Rachel Henry live in the US?  According to the "Flower Hill" book, they went to Ohio.  Do you have more specifics?  According to the same book, some of the children of John and Rachel McMillan Henry stopped to visit this aunt and uncle on their way to Illinois.  Is there any info about these visits in the Henry book written by Heber Homer Henry?

Perhaps research into land deeds might shed light on earlier generations.

Any suggestions as to other things I could look up about this family at PRONI, the Londonderry Library, or in Dublin would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 07:50 BST (UK) »
I would recommend that you make a search of the Registry of Deeds but the volumes and index are quite difficult to use [microfilm PRONI].

There is a land index [recommended] and a surname index. The surname index will show Henry's of course but no placenames so they could be anywhere in Ireland. The names index is only useful for rare surnames.

The Land index is broken down by county and the townland and the surname of the people involved in the transaction will be there. So decide on the townlands that you wish to view eg Dirtagh or Largantea where Henrys have been found.

You also need to decide on a time-frame as the registry was set up in 1704. If you are going to concentrate on the period 1704-1800 you might have
several microfilm indexes to look up. 
If you find a relevant entry in the index you need to write down the memorial number that goes with it - there will be three numbers - volume number, page number and memorial number. eg, 3, 312, 43987. Sometimes these
numbers are hard to read and the microfilm dark but the most important number is the last one the memorial number.
On the microfilm the page number is usually cut off so I usually search by memorial number.

It is fairly difficult to use - read up on it - get help in PRONI but it could be potentially a useful source.

P.S.- if you are going to Dublin then the Registry of Deeds itself might be worth a visit. I would imagine that it would be a lot easier using the originals.

Moderator's Comment: Reformatted short sentances and very long post.

Offline DrHenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 18:09 BST (UK) »
I am very pleased that Birdenia has found this site - and also that Gortinanima has made his suggestion for her upcoming trip.  Assuming the rather well documented home of Rachel (d.1809) in Flower Hill, Dirtagh is fact - and considering the limited range of 'courting' activities at that time - I am assuming that John (d.1854) must be from nearby - most likely the Limavady/Coleraine corridor.  And while that may be an incorrect assumption, it would certainly be the focus of my search were I to travel to Ireland.  John (d.1854) is buried in an  Athens, Ohio, cemetery - with second wife Margaret McNutt.  I have seen and have photos of their grave markers.  We have been unable to find Rachel's (d.1809) burial site - although we believe it to be in Warren Township, Washington County, Ohio, where they were living at the time of her death.  I urge you to read the Heber Henry book.  Have a wonderful and productive trip to Ireland.  If you will post 2 more messages, we can chat offline and directly.