Author Topic: Flynn - Baslick, ROSCOMMON  (Read 7031 times)

Offline aleda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Flynn - Baslick, ROSCOMMON
« on: Sunday 02 November 08 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello chatters,

A James Flynn of Baslick, Roscommon, born about 1797/98 enlisted in the Madras Artillery and sailed from Chatham, England, for India in 1822. He died in India.

I know it will be difficult, but I would like to research my ancestor. Any starting points?, please.

Frank, Perth. Aust
Briggs, Leeds Yorks.,  Coop, Tamworth Staff., Hurdley, Bishops Castle Shrop., Ashton, Halliwell, Morgan, Cheetham, Oldham Lancs., Hawkins, Co. Clare Ire., Flynn, Roscommon Ire.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JEF_X2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Flynn - Baslick, ROSCOMMON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 23:19 BST (UK) »
hi can you please tell me where you found the records for  james flynn as per your post... this may be a relative i have been looking at and i am trying to cross reference to be 100% sure (james flynn - very common name)
thanks in advance john

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline aleda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 04:19 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

The birth date of my James Flynn is an estimate from the various HEIC records.
These are, recruitment register, depot lists, muster rolls, marriage entry, casualty register, burial record.
Copies of these records were obtained from LDS films. At enlistment James is shown as a labourer. As the name is so common, and his parents names are not on any of the records I have listed, I have been unable to make further progress.

Frank
Briggs, Leeds Yorks.,  Coop, Tamworth Staff., Hurdley, Bishops Castle Shrop., Ashton, Halliwell, Morgan, Cheetham, Oldham Lancs., Hawkins, Co. Clare Ire., Flynn, Roscommon Ire.

Offline JEF_X2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 11 20:22 BST (UK) »
hi frank, thanks for the reply , you appear to be looking at the same james flynn as myself, how did you trace your line to him. and how are you related to james. maybe we have a line in common.  regards john

Offline aleda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 July 11 06:11 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

My ggm was a Fanny Flynn.  Her father was James. I traced backwards from myself, using death certificates/records. A lot of hunting through Family Search. org., and again using the resources and films of the LDS.
John, after you have posted 3 times on Rootschat you can send me a personal message. I will then give you a lot more info., and can attach docs. etc. if you wish.
Regards Frank

Offline JEF_X2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 July 11 17:13 BST (UK) »
HI frank,  does any thing here match your findings ?

some info for you on the james flynn i am still trying to verify as a relative,

i have found two baptism certs for children born to james flynn (bombadier / 3rd madras artillery) but to two seperate women  -
(1) elizabeth born to james and izabella flynn 1831 
(2)  james flynn born to james flynn and margaret rothwell ( illegitemate / born out of wedlock) 1834.

i have traced our family back to a  james flynn born 1834 but i cant confirm that james and margaret are the correct parents until my next visit to the british library.  - i will be pleased to contact via p/ms if any thing here is relevant to yourself regds john

Offline aleda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 July 11 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

James and Issabella married on 27 Nov 1824. Elizabeth born 31 Oct 1831. Fanny born 12 Apr 1844. James died in 1852. I don't know how many children were born to their marriage.
I have been concentrating on Issabella and didn't record the source for Elizabeth birth. At the moment using internet research mainly and cannot find any other references other than Issabella's death in 1859.
On the 1832 muster roll 3rd Batt. artillery his list regimental No. is 650.
On his death in 1852 his entry in the European Veterans register is listed as No. 1942.
If I find anything new I will keep you informed. Hope you have some success at the BL.
Regards Frank

Offline JEF_X2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 July 11 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi frank, thanks again for the response, providing i am right with my findings we do appear to have a family link through james flynn, if i find any more about james and issabella i will let you know a.s.a.p - regards john