Author Topic: PAGE family of Middlesex 18th/19th centuries (completed)  (Read 16815 times)

Offline LindyLou275

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PAGE family of Middlesex 18th/19th centuries (completed)
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 03 August 19 22:12 BST (UK) »
Apologies, Lidiane, I've only skimmed through this thread so far, will have a proper read later. I can't condone or condemn his actions, but Alfred was certainly tenacious (although I have no idea where he found the time - he also fathered 20 children.)

I was quoting an article from a New Zealand paper, the Marlborough Express, from 11th December 1911 which was posted on Ancestry. The same article states that Alfred Lott also claimed he was Gt Nephew of Henry Page, so I have no idea of its validity, and my knowledge of the case is sketchy at present.

I agree, it would make great tv! Where did your ancestor travel from, YelkcuB? Looking forward to finding out more, it's such an intriguing story.

Linda

Offline Lidiane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 04 August 19 08:26 BST (UK) »
That's sad- but I think I will try to get someone interested for my sons. There is a good enough story
to make it quite exciting and there is the strong connection with Harrow School and the Page who was guardian of the young King Edward VII. Not to mention the Catholic Martyrs!
Heir Hunters are companies who watch the lists of people who die intestate and then put their team to work looking for lost heirs. Usually it is a race to get to them before another company arrives with the same results. There was a TV programme - on weekly- documenting some of the searches and the speed with which they ploughed through birth, marriage and death records was impressive. I suppose they get a fee
for their work!
Good luck with your own family research
I am just off to Yorkshire to clear the nettles from family graves in a country churchyard!

Offline LindyLou275

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 05 August 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
Mr Young did rather well for himself, didn't he!

" ...The estate and corn-rents seem to have been leased to Page's executors after his death. From 1830 to 1872 or later they were leased to Henry Young of Essex Street and subsequently to his widow on 21-year leases, renewable every seven years for a fine of £5,700, although in 1831 the college, considering the fallen price of land and corn, assessed the fine at £2,690. (fn. 73) Young sub-leased the land which, in 1831, was divided among seven tenants who paid £1,169 in rent. (fn. 74) In 1845 there were still 7 under-tenants, and the net annual value of land and corn-rents was £2,555. (fn. 75) By 1866 there were only 5 tenants, most of the land being held by Thomas Goodchild, and the net annual value was £1,479 for the land and £674 for the fixed rent-charge. (fn. 76) Corn-rents, supposedly determined by the price of corn from year to year, were reviewed only in 1832, 1846 (at £846), 1902, and 1916, (fn. 77) but most were redeemed between 1893 and 1911. (fn. 78) Small amounts of the land were conveyed to the railways or local authorities in the 1860s, in 1881, and 1893, (fn. 79) but most of it was sold during the 1920s and 1930s for building. (fn. 80)"

Source: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol4/pp249-255

"The manor of Uxendon in Harrow parish was first recorded in 1373. In 1516 the manor was inherited by Mabel, the wife of Richard Bellamy. In 1603 their descendant, also Richard Bellamy, conveyed the estate to Joan Mudge and William Mascall. By 1608 the manor belonged to Joan Mudge's son-in-law, Richard Page. In 1629 a portion of the estate in Kenton was alienated to Robert and Thomas Walter, but the Uxendon part of the manor remained with the Page family. In 1817 it comprised 413 acres of enclosed land and 202 acres allotted in lieu of open-field land. In the 1820s Henry Page, who had inherited the manor from his brothers, was known to be of weak intellect and a drunkard. In 1825 Page confirmed a bargain and sale in favour of one Henry Young, a solicitor whose business partner had worked for the family-it is possible that the document was obtained fraudulently. On Page's death in 1829 Young moved into the manor, which he had sold for the benefit of his wife and children when he died in 1869."

Source: https://aim25.com/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?coll_id=18852&inst_id=118&nv1=search&nv2=

Offline Lidiane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 05 August 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
I remember- Mr Young was the dodgy solicitor.
I wonder how we can check up on what I was told - that Wembley Stadium was last sold with "unsound title".

Offline LindyLou275

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 05 August 19 18:34 BST (UK) »
Really? The plot thickens.

It seems HY was well-connected. It's no wonder the 'little people' didn't get very far.