Author Topic: Bonsall - A Village and its History.  (Read 12165 times)

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
Bonsall - A Village and its History.
« on: Sunday 02 November 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone out there happen to own a copy of this book?   If so, I wondered if they could possibly check the index to see if there's any reference to a John Daykene, born 1568 died 1681?

Thanks

aitch  ;)

RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON

Offline sougher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bonsall - A Village and its History.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 09:49 GMT (UK) »
I own a copy of this book having having been a contributor to the book and also having lived in the village for a number of years, I left a couple of years ago.   I'm sorry but there is no mention in the index of the name of DAYKENE.   A lot was written about the families and family names living in the village from census returns information of 1841 onwards, but this is too late for your enquiry.   Can I suggest that you need to search the early church registers which are deposited at the Derbyshire Record Office at Matlock, these date back to 1657, so possibly John DAYKENE's death could be recorded in these records.   Another suggestion is to join the DERBYSGEN list and put a request out on that, as a lister may possibly have a copy of the CD produced by Val NEAL (see the Derbyshire Genuki website for information on the CD's that Val Neal has produced from various parish records).   Sorry not to have been of more help.

Margaret.

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your reply Margaret.   It's very useful to know that John Daykene isn't in the book. 
Yes, I think a trip to Matlock looks like it might be on the cards!

thanks again
Aitch :)

RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON

Offline sougher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 08 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aitch,

Me again.   It has occurred to me that the family name of DAKIN was common in the village of Elton, very close to Bonsall, you could always look on the excellent Winster website (the neighbouring village to Elton, also very close to Bonsall) which contains many surnames, they were lead miners.

Incidently I have come across a reference to the DAKEYNE brothers of Darley Dale (not far from Bonsall either, just across the valley) in 1830 who were approached by the proprietors of the Blythe lead mine to erect a water-powered Disc Engine for draining the Blythe lead mine at Alport, unfortunately it wasn't a success and abandoned.   This DAKEYNE family lived in the parish of St. Helen's Darley Dale, which also covered the villages south of the river Derwent  (Darley Dale lying north of the river), of Darley Bridge (then known as Bridge Town), Wensley, Oker and Snitterton.

I've remembered that I have a friend who has a copy of the CD of the Bonsall registers, I will email him with a request for you concerning your John DAYKENE - incidently didn't you get his d.o.b a little wrong?

Margaret

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 November 08 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
Thanks for all this info, I'll certainly take a look at the Winster site.  and yes, sorry a typo on the date of birth - it should have read 1586.

The real purpose of the Dakin search is to try to track down the parents of a Thomas Dakin who was born in 1625 and who emigrated to the US.  He has a vast number of Dakin descendents in the US & Canada who are, as you can imagine, very keen to trace the origins of their Thomas Dakin over here.
It seems as though the greatest number of Dakins at that time were around this area of Derbyshire and though it's a bit of a needle in a haystack, (partly because of the lack of paper trails from so early), it's worth checking out any possible parents who seem to have been recorded.

Thanks again for your help

- Aitch  :)

Offline philjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Aitch,

Have you checked to see if Lichfield Record office hold a will for your John Daykene (or other people of that surname)?
I managed to find a number of wills and also marriage licences from Lichfield RO for member of my EATON family who were residing in the Bonsall/Winster area in the late 1600s. The ages/fathers mentioned on the marriage licences helped to provide info on their origins, as one of the baptisms I needed was missing due to the lack of the Bonsall registers before 1657.

A Daniel Dakin is mentioned on the Bonsall poll tax list of 1689.
http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/87-Bpoll.htm

Jeremy

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeremy

No, I haven't got as far as checking Lichfield yet, but that might be a good idea as some of the Derbyshire Dakin's seemed to be fairly noteable, so the chances of early Wills existing might be fairly high.  Thanks very much for the link to the Bonsall poll tax list too.

cheers
Aitch  :)

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 January 09 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aitch, Just wanted too say that I have a booklet called 'Bonsall in the seventeenth century' which is part of the Bonsall History Project.
I've had a quick scan through & I can't see a Dakeyne at all not in the tax of 1627 or the Heath Tax returns of 1670. I wonder is it worth you looking at the Manor Court Rolls which I undersatnd are available for Bonsall (probably at Matlock but you would have to check).

Also Margaret, as you seem to know a lot about the village, I wonder could I ask if you have any knowledge of if I am able to pinpoint where in the village particular people might have lived? Josiah Allsop lived in Upper town from 1830 'til  the 1861 census at least & I would love to be able to take a photo for the tree. Also the Loxley's who lived at a house 'near John Marples shop' also in Upper Town in 1757 & were still in Upper Town in 1814.

Cheers
Kay
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 January 09 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Kayze.  It's a real process of elimination with these Dakeyne/Dakins, so knowing where they're not is very useful!
Thanks too for the tip about the Manor Court Rolls.

Cheers
Aitch